When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Please tell us why you say that. They don’t look the same to me. 

it’s because the “He just wins “ point has Only been used when teams win with ugly QBing from Tebow .  

I’m not comparing the two since Allen certainly is a better thrower at this point . 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I struggle to understand the fan fixation on “3 TD and 300 yards”.  As others have said, often when a game is a shootout, it’s needed in an attempt to compensate for miscues (turnovers, fumbles) or for poor defense.    Those games often come when the team is getting its butt whupped and is trying to get back in it.  They come with increased risk. 

Fantasy, freaking, Football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Fantasy, freaking, Football. 

Nah,.. he's actually been a really good fantasy qb since last year because of his running

I want to see that he's capable of having big passing games, because that's what it takes to win a super, freaking, bowl

44 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

The bills play calling makes me wonder sometimes if he can ever develop

why do people constantly harp on play calling as an excuse.  The coaches call plays. Execute them. Or check into something else and execute that. Josh and/or the receivers need to do better if they really want to do anything in postseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

Nah,.. he's actually been a really good fantasy qb since last year because of his running

I want to see that he's capable of having big passing games, because that's what it takes to win a super, freaking, bowl

We're not good enough to get to a Super Bowl right now.  If we win 10 games and make the playoffs as a wildcard that's great progress. 

We're in an excellent CAP situation for next year and our key young players are making real progress.  next year and the years after are when this team has the potential to be a Super Bowl contender in the AFC. 

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Amen, thats the goal SB.   We gave up a first and 2 seconds to get him.,  My standards are high.   Seeing a big game would show me hes moving to the next level, not a game manager against the bottom the league.

52 minutes ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Daniel Jones had 300+ yards in his first career start

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Lamar Jackson went for 300+ and 5TDs against the Dolphins

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

i am fairly confident he will never have “that game” because he’s nothing but an average NFL QB. He had one fantastic game late last year against a miami team that wasn’t trying and when given another opportunity today he played as an average QB will do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I want to see the 300 yard game but I get why we haven’t.  

1) He’s not throwing jump balls. 

2) He’s not throwing a ton of dump offs/screens to pad his passing numbers.  

3) We haven’t played any garbage time games on the losing end or had to come from far behind.  

4) He’s missing on the deep balls.  

Only #4 is on Josh.   

We have a lot of stupid penalties, sacks and drops that stall drives, but that’s just normal football stuff that we need to cut down on, they aren’t drastically effecting his passing numbers.  

Today was a weird day..  He had 200 yards/2 TDs while being very efficient.  We had one possession in the 3rd.  Went up two scores on a short field.  Then just went into clock burn mode. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Very similar records .  An interesting comparison would also be QB efficiency like completion rate , ypa, QBR 

Except Tebow's W/L record is spread over 3 years and two teams. Allen is 2v seasons, same team.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I want to see the 300 yard game but I get why we haven’t.  

1) He’s not throwing jump balls. 

2) He’s not throwing a ton of dump offs/screens to pad his passing numbers.  

3) We haven’t played any garbage time games or had to come from far behind.  

4) He’s missing on the deep balls.  

Only #4 is on Josh.   

We have a lot of stupid penalties, sacks and drops that stall drives, but that’s just normal football stuff that we need to cut down on, but aren’t drastically effecting his passing numbers.  

Today was a weird day..  He had 200 yards/2 TDs while being very efficient.  We had one possession in the 3rd.  Went up two scores on a short field.  Then just went into clock burn mode. 

Bingo on this last point. The D had a rare bad game.  But those long drives we let Miami execute probably cost us 2 - 3 extra offensive possessions.  Against this Miami team we all expected a lot more 3 & outs.  I think we had only one. 

Flores is a Belichick disciple so it's not surprising he confused Allen with all the different looks.  Luckily, they figured it out in the 2nd half which is encouraging.  The most improvement I've seen from Allen is protecting the football, better touch on his short to intermediate throws,  and staying in the pocket longer before taking off and running.

I still worry about his ability to read a defense, process information quickly, make adjustments at the line, and his accuracy on the long ball.  All of these need to improve or he's not our guy.  I could care less about a break out game.

• Like (+1) 2