The pirouette. What are the NFL stats on onsides kicks?

the amazing part is that Hyde HAD to do the twirl because if he hadnt the ball would have not made it the necessary 10 yds...so he twirled to leave his arms at 10yds plus .5 foot while his body was forward of the line, landed the double axel and ran full stride to the ez.  Not sure expecting him to stop at the 2 after that amazing move is realistic ?

Edited by x-BillzeBubba

2 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

the amazing part is that Hyde HAD to do the twirl because if he hadnt the ball would have not made it the necessary 10 yds...so he twirled to leave his arms at 10yds plus .5 foot while his body was forward of the line, landed the double axel and ran full stride to the ez.  Not sure expecting him to stop at the 2 after that amazing move is realistic ?

I think the thing is that catching it and simply falling to the ground would have been more effective... he didn’t need to fall at the 2. He could’ve secured the ball and immediately gone down. 

it’s less scary being Hyde but say a backup or if Ray Ray gets called up you don’t want him overplaying the moment when it’s not actually helpful to score even if you make the highlights. Get 2 hands on it, wrap it up and get down should be an overwhelmingly direct message from the coordinator. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

not sure expecting a guy like him who sees a clear path to the ez to not take it after doing the calculus in real time is realistic...but eitherway it  was a hilite reel play and damn I'm happy he's a bill 

I get it but that’s why I kind of said I’m curious about the coordinators direction pre play a few times now. You get such a random mish  mash of guys on special teams making plays at the biggest moments. Some have little to no experience in those roles. 

the coordinator knowing the moment and aggressively messaging a simple outcome for it can be huge for a dude that’s been on three kick recoveries in his life and been on the team for 8 days. Hyde’s not that guy but he may have even benefited too. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/21/bills-micah-hyde-breaks-down-his-onside-kick-touchdown-dolphins/

Following the game, Hyde recalled that he wanted to keep it simple.

“Watching film, we understand they do the high bounce to the left. I’m the left catcher. I have faith in my guys up front that they’re going to block. I’ve been in some games, big games, where the onside kick didn’t go our way. So I kind of have in my head, ‘Just go up and get it.’ If I get hit, come down with the football. I can go in the training room after the game,” Hyde said.

23 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

The receiving team doesn't have to wait for the ball to go 10 yards in order to recover it.  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the lowest score is dropped ....  ;) :lol: 

That's the Russian judge...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/20/2019 at 7:11 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

The league changed the rules a year or two ago that made it much, much more difficult to recover an onsides, mostly by outlawing a team to load up on one side. And then not allowing the kicking team to get a running start. 

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

and thank you FORMER Pack GM Ted Thompson for letting him walk right to OBD...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/21/2019 at 12:42 AM, cd1 said:

THREE little words - Music City Miracle!  - Sixteen Seconds left on the clock...

^^^^^^^ This is why you go down before the end zone. If Hyde gave himself up the Bills would have had the ball 1st and 10 at the one yard line and would have been able to run out the clock to end the game.

I remember clear as day nearly 20 years ago, I was jumping for joy that we had won the AFC Wildcard game.  The next thing I look over and wonder what the hell was going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIXTEEN F___ng SECONDS!

This is a Chess vs Checkers thing.

2score game...