Sign in to follow this  
SlimShady'sGhost

The pirouette. What are the NFL stats on onsides kicks?

51 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Kneeling it out would have avoided risk of injuries on the following plays.

I'm sure that's what all those guys that dogpiled on him were saying.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the issue isn’t risk of tackle it’s that you give the ball back with time on the clock. 

it’s all a long shot so picking nits but Miami is a lot less likely to score if they never touch the ball. Odds are they don’t score get the onside and score again either though.

I get that. I’m saying that the player recovering the ball was Hyde who for 2-3 years was one of the best return men in the NFL before he locked down a key role on defense. It’s why they had him fielding punts earlier in the year. He’s also one of the smartest and most reliable players on the field. I trust Hyde to make the correct decision, which the results would indicate he did. If Knox recovered the ball I’d have a different take.  

There hasn't been an onsides kick recovered by the kicking team yet this year therefore it's more likely to be returned for a TD than recovered by the kicking team.

Came in handy in my fantasy matchup today.

I have not researched this, but I would say close to 100% of the time, if you are trying an onside kick.....the game is NOT going the way you had hoped. 

That play might have saved me from night terrors tonight. We’ll never know, but.......

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

There hasn't been an onsides kick recovered by the kicking team yet this year therefore it's more likely to be returned for a TD than recovered by the kicking team.

Until the Bears recovered 2...

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

I heard the call on XM (man Tasker is freaking annoying). After seeing the highlight, I had no problem with him running it in.  

The officials should have thrown at least three flags against the Bills on that play.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The league changed the rules a year or two ago that made it much, much more difficult to recover an onsides, mostly by outlawing a team to load up on one side. And then not allowing the kicking team to get a running start. 

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

I thought the same thing; absolutely perfectly kicked ball. I don’t think you can kick a better onsides kick.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

sure points are more sure

the comparison isn't with scoring the points, it's with giving the other team an opportunity to score 10 points in the remaining time.  the probability still isn't very high I grant you, but it's a lot higher than the off-chance there is a fumble on the kneel-downs

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I get that. I’m saying that the player recovering the ball was Hyde who for 2-3 years was one of the best return men in the NFL before he locked down a key role on defense. It’s why they had him fielding punts earlier in the year. He’s also one of the smartest and most reliable players on the field. I trust Hyde to make the correct decision, which the results would indicate he did. If Knox recovered the ball I’d have a different take.  

Statistically speaking I’d guess it’s the wrong one... not that any decisions actually “bad”

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The officials should have thrown at least three flags against the Bills on that play.

A flag on the bills would’ve helped them ensure the bills win 😂

So, eleven times since 1970, and the Bills did it three times, cool 😎 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Recall in the 1993 AFC championship against Denver Tasker returning a short kickoff almost for a TD, think he got taken down around the 10 yard line of Denver.  Can't recall though if it was an on-sides attempt or just a bad kickoff by Denver.  Do recall that play kind of changing the game though in Buffalo's favor.

43 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Really? You’re sayin stop trying to score while the game is still being played? There is always risk of injury in every single practice, there always  is risk of injury in every single play, Hell There is always risk of injury every time you walk out the front door, this is football, a gladiator sport, of freakin course there is risk of injury, sounds like a stop preseason games, billy could hurt himself lament. What’s happening to football fans??

Go Bills!!!

Was it Fred that did that very thing - giving himself up before the end zone to seal the win?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

Mc D could learn from hyde! always be scoring! I hate when he puts the breaks on bills momentum, gonna need to be aggro scoring wise to win it all in this league

Edited by motorj

2 minutes ago, motorj said:

Mc D could learn from hyde! always be scoring! I hate when he puts the breaks on bills momentum, gonna need to be aggro scoring wise to win it all in this league

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that.

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that.

sorry i clicked the wrong quote and edited in the actually quote

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Taken a knee...the Bills lost their streak of holding QBs to under 250 yards because of the garbage time yards they got afterwards

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Was it Fred that did that very thing - giving himself up before the end zone to seal the win?

Yes

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Statistically speaking I’d guess it’s the wrong one... not that any decisions actually “bad”

Generally agree. It’s just Hyde. 🤷‍♂️. Statistics tend to point out averages and don’t usually  factor in particular situations, nor to they account for exceptional players. To be honest, Hyde might actually be the best return man on this team... However, he’s also a defensive starter. 

As for taking a tackle. I’d rather him turn it into a two score game.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Well that says a lot about that era, doesn’t it...

Go Bills!!!

Actually, Fred tried to score and it was initially ruled a TD.  Then the refs talked it over and had him down at the 1.  I remember the hoodie going berserk on the sideline because he knew that meant the Bills could now run down the clock and kick the FG to win.  He knew had it been a TD, the Bills would have the lead, but at least Brady would have gotten the ball back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Actually, Fred tried to score and it was initially ruled a TD.  Then the refs talked it over and had him down at the 1.  I remember the hoodie going berserk on the sideline because he knew that meant the Bills could now run down the clock and kick the FG to win.  He knew had it been a TD, the Bills would have the lead, but at least Brady would have gotten the ball back.

someone pulled it off right but maybe I’m crossing up incidents. Though for the person saying it’s indicative of the era... the bills doing the best thing for the pats and the refs calling back our TD would somehow seem fitting 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

Completely agree. Said the same when he kicked it. "That's got a chance...", then the return.

And if he was going to kneel, he'd do it where he caught it. Is anyone suggesting once he realize he could score that he should have stopped? Are you kidding me?

43 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Is anyone suggesting once he realize he could score that he should have stopped? Are you kidding me?

why not?  the game would have been OVER right at that point.  no hail marys, no chance of further injuries, nothing but 2 kneels and 00:00 on the clock.  Sal C's tweet indicates that MH realized this but couldn't resist when he saw all that daylight.  but what if Brady was the opposing qb, would you really have wanted to give him any chance?  I'm sure he's scored 10 points in 90 seconds in his career before, probably a lot of times.  when you get the chance to close the door, you slam it shut.  that's all I'm sayin

• Like (+1) 1