The pirouette. What are the NFL stats on onsides kicks?

16 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Micah Hyde made that play because Micah Hyde is smarter than everybody else on the field at any given time. If he had any doubt he would have kneeled.

He said he should've gone down on that play after the game citing the chance of giving the Fins the ball back still with the minute chance to get two scores.  He goes down there and the game is over.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He said he should've gone down on that play after the game citing the chance of giving the Fins the ball back still with the minute chance to get two scores.  He goes down there and the game is over.

So Micah Hyde surveyed all options in the space time continuum and considered going for the TD at that given moment the optimal choice. Come on Doc, you know this.

Yeah you're probably right, but whatever. It was awesome.

Edited by Nelius

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Taking a knee would’ve been smarter.  But I could have sworn that in the past, you couldn’t advance an onsides kick recovery?

Kicking teams cannot advance an onside kick iirc

Returning teams can. Bills did it in 99 I believe , last time I saw it

35 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They literally had 140 left down 10 with no Timeouts. They had about .001% chance even less

The same percentage that Allen could fumble the victory formation and give them the ball back twice in 140

Same odds honestly

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

So Micah Hyde surveyed all options in the space time continuum and considered going for the TD at that given moment the optimal choice. Come on Doc, you know this.

Yeah you're probably right, but whatever. It was awesome.

Now that I think of it in case of some crazy tiebreaker net points could make the difference so I guess.  He'd be criticized ad nauseam if Fitz came back to tie/win it though.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They literally had 140 left down 10 with no Timeouts. They had about .001% chance even less

The same percentage that Allen could fumble the victory formation and give them the ball back twice in 140

Same odds honestly

Pry not.  Let's say they kick it to the Fins and they return it for a touchdown (not a stretch given this franchises history).  They then get the onside kick with a minute or so left and have a chance to tie or win the game.  It was a mental error that Hyde admitted to after the game.  When you're running full speed like that and only see the endzone in front of you I can understand going for the touchdown.  However, Jamaal Williams was in a similar situation against the Lions last Monday Night and fell at the one yard line so the Lions wouldn't get the ball back.  It was an awesome play but ultimately stupid.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Pry not.  Let's say they kick it to the Fins and they return it for a touchdown (not a stretch given this franchises history).  They then get the onside kick with a minute or so left and have a chance to tie or win the game.  It was a mental error that Hyde admitted to after the game.  When you're running full speed like that and only see the endzone in front of you I can understand going for the touchdown.  However, Jamaal Williams was in a similar situation against the Lions last Monday Night and fell at the one yard line so the Lions wouldn't get the ball back.  It was an awesome play but ultimately stupid.

Onside kicks are dead as people say with 0% rate, so they'd have a 0% chance still up by 2 scores (lions game was just 1), either way micah deserved this return for his top notch playing this season

45 minutes ago, motorj said:

Onside kicks are dead as people say with 0% rate, so they'd have a 0% chance still up by 2 scores (lions game was just 1), either way micah deserved this return for his top notch playing this season

Bears recovered one today.  Eight percent success rate last year with same rules.  I don't care what he deserves.  If he falls down it's almost a guaranteed victory as you rarely see a fumbled snap on a kneel down.

9 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

There hasn't been an onsides kick recovered by the kicking team yet this year therefore it's more likely to be returned for a TD than recovered by the kicking team.

On-side was recovered on the same day by Chicago and they nearly got a second on-side recovery - minus the guys toe being out of bounds as he recovered it.

HaHaHa.. While watching the game with my wife, when I believe Lofton described it as a "pirouette", I burst out laughing. I said that I don't think I've ever heard that word while watching an NFL game.... Spin, twist.. etc... Just made us laugh.   But I tried to remind her of Tasker in a playoff game vs the Raiders in a freezing cold playoff game catching a line drive onside kick and nearly taking it all the way.

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kicking teams cannot advance an onside kick iirc

sorry to interrupt, but I remember Steelers vs Cowboys SB XXX - Steelers recovered their onside kick and the guy could advance/progress. Did the rules changed since ?

9 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

why not?  the game would have been OVER right at that point.  no hail marys, no chance of further injuries, nothing but 2 kneels and 00:00 on the clock.  Sal C's tweet indicates that MH realized this but couldn't resist when he saw all that daylight.  but what if Brady was the opposing qb, would you really have wanted to give him any chance?  I'm sure he's scored 10 points in 90 seconds in his career before, probably a lot of times.  when you get the chance to close the door, you slam it shut.  that's all I'm sayin

To all those worried about injuries ....  They happen.  It can be on the first snap or the last snap.  

If your game plan is not to get hurt...  plan on a 0-16 record. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I prefer that ^ than taking 4 knees

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

17 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

You make the smart play and go down and give yourself up.  Had he been tackled and stripped of the ball, the discussions today might have a different tone to them.  He does not carry the ball normally, and generally D players don;t have great hands ... if they did they'd be on the offense :)

Tasker was right IMO.

People that took the Bills at -17 probably disagree with me ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

17 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The league changed the rules a year or two ago that made it much, much more difficult to recover an onsides, mostly by outlawing a team to load up on one side. And then not allowing the kicking team to get a running start. 

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

I agree. When I watched that again, I thought, wow, if that was another player besides Hyde (a great punt catcher!!), that might have turned out the be the first successful onside kick all season. It was a perfect kick. 

31 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

You make the smart play and go down and give yourself up.  Had he been tackled and stripped of the ball, the discussions today might have a different tone to them.  He does not carry the ball normally, and generally D players don;t have great hands ... if they did they'd be on the offense :)

Tasker was right IMO.

I understand your point. But actually Hyde has great hands. Returns punts, and was obviously on the hands team. once he caught the ball and landed, he had nothing but green grass ahead of him

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Tasker was right IMO.

had he landed in a crowd I might agree.  

he was free and clear and ran protecting the ball 

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

I understand your point. But actually Hyde has great hands. Returns punts, and was obviously on the hands team. once he caught the ball and landed, he had nothing but green grass ahead of him

There were people behind him too.  All it takes is one. Smart play was to give himself up, the game is then over.  But it worked :)