The pirouette. What are the NFL stats on onsides kicks?

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

Taken a knee...the Bills lost their streak of holding QBs to under 250 yards because of the garbage time yards they got afterwards

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Statistically speaking I’d guess it’s the wrong one... not that any decisions actually “bad”

Generally agree. It’s just Hyde. ?‍♂️. Statistics tend to point out averages and don’t usually  factor in particular situations, nor to they account for exceptional players. To be honest, Hyde might actually be the best return man on this team... However, he’s also a defensive starter. 

As for taking a tackle. I’d rather him turn it into a two score game.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Was it Fred that did that very thing - giving himself up before the end zone to seal the win?

Well that says a lot about that era, doesn’t it...

Go Bills!!!

Actually, Fred tried to score and it was initially ruled a TD.  Then the refs talked it over and had him down at the 1.  I remember the hoodie going berserk on the sideline because he knew that meant the Bills could now run down the clock and kick the FG to win.  He knew had it been a TD, the Bills would have the lead, but at least Brady would have gotten the ball back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Actually, Fred tried to score and it was initially ruled a TD.  Then the refs talked it over and had him down at the 1.  I remember the hoodie going berserk on the sideline because he knew that meant the Bills could now run down the clock and kick the FG to win.  He knew had it been a TD, the Bills would have the lead, but at least Brady would have gotten the ball back.

someone pulled it off right but maybe I’m crossing up incidents. Though for the person saying it’s indicative of the era... the bills doing the best thing for the pats and the refs calling back our TD would somehow seem fitting 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

Completely agree. Said the same when he kicked it. "That's got a chance...", then the return.

And if he was going to kneel, he'd do it where he caught it. Is anyone suggesting once he realize he could score that he should have stopped? Are you kidding me?

43 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Is anyone suggesting once he realize he could score that he should have stopped? Are you kidding me?

why not?  the game would have been OVER right at that point.  no hail marys, no chance of further injuries, nothing but 2 kneels and 00:00 on the clock.  Sal C's tweet indicates that MH realized this but couldn't resist when he saw all that daylight.  but what if Brady was the opposing qb, would you really have wanted to give him any chance?  I'm sure he's scored 10 points in 90 seconds in his career before, probably a lot of times.  when you get the chance to close the door, you slam it shut.  that's all I'm sayin

• Like (+1) 1

After every replay I’m more impressed with the timing, the height of his jump, and agility. Mostly the timing. It would seem that if Hyde didn’t go an get it, it most likely would have went out of bounds. The Poyer block should be it’s own separate highlight. 

Edited by benderbender

24 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

why not?  the game would have been OVER right at that point.  no hail marys, no chance of further injuries, nothing but 2 kneels and 00:00 on the clock.  Sal C's tweet indicates that MH realized this but couldn't resist when he saw all that daylight.  but what if Brady was the opposing qb, would you really have wanted to give him any chance?  I'm sure he's scored 10 points in 90 seconds in his career before, probably a lot of times.  when you get the chance to close the door, you slam it shut.  that's all I'm sayin

I understand all the dynamics. But sheesh, when you have a wide open field to add another 7 points. I think you do it.  The reason is, your reasoning is flawed: There is always a chance of SOMETHING happening. "Just kneel down twice" you say. "Bad snap", I say. "DT calling the OG's sister "a *****", he's distracted and he smacks Josh before he can kneel. Recovers the fumble and scores!!!"  In this game, against this team, I'll take the extra points, thank you.

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Completely agree. Said the same when he kicked it. "That's got a chance...", then the return.

And if he was going to kneel, he'd do it where he caught it. Is anyone suggesting once he realize he could score that he should have stopped? Are you kidding me?

The book says you knerl ehen grtting the ball be ause buffalo woukd have 3 kneal downs  and the game.

if this was say a surprise onside kick then you want the return player to do thst if they can like a receiver or DB but not so with others who 

it’s not just with onside kicks but when  the offense gets a 1st down the game is over so the defense lets him score to get the bill back.

a game a few years ago the bills beat the Patriots. Bills had the ball and only needed a FZg to win. Buffalo ran plays to bunt the click to get it down to 3 sec and kick. Patriot trackers tried to throw the RB into the end zone ( they were inside the 5) and then the pats got an unsportsmanlike like penalty giving buffalo a first down so thry could just kneal.

12 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I understand all the dynamics. But sheesh, when you have a wide open field to add another 7 points. I think you do it.  The reason is, your reasoning is flawed: There is always a chance of SOMETHING happening. "Just kneel down twice" you say. "Bad snap", I say. "DT calling the OG's sister "a *****", he's distracted and he smacks Josh before he can kneel. Recovers the fumble and scores!!!"  In this game, against this team, I'll take the extra points, thank you.

how many times has a game been lost by a bad snap in victory formation, vs. how many times has a game been lost by a team giving up 10 or more points in the last 90 seconds.  I'll contend that the latter is much more probable and this would determine the validity of the reasoning.  

Edited by coloradobillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

how many times has a game been lost by a bad snap in victory formation, vs. how many times has a game been lost by a team giving up 10 or more points in the last 90 seconds.  I'll contend that the latter is much more probable and this would determine the validity of the reasoning.  

No doubt. In a vacuum, taking a knee is more likely to succeed. Game isn't played in a vacuum. In this case, either way probably isn't that big of an issue. Bills up by 10. Fins need to be otherworldly to succeed. Bills just need to be relatively competent.  It ain't the Pats* and the Bills have a young QB and team. Even so, I'm guessing the cold hard odds are to kneel. 

I'm wondering if Farwell gave them those instructions before hand. If he did, then I concede, Hyde should have kneeled. In situations like that (eg, hail mary knockdown/don't intercept) you should be stressing what you need on that one, particular, unusual play). The player's instinct is to get the ball and score. In this case, I think I like what he decided to do.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Was it Fred that did that very thing - giving himself up before the end zone to seal the win?

If you're talking about the win against that Patriots in 2011, he tried to score and it was called a TD. However, it was overturned and placed at the one, where the Bills took knees to run the clock down and kicked the chip shot FG as time expired to win.

*Disclaimer - my memory can be a bit... uh... cloudy. Yeah, cloudy is an appropriate descriptor.*

THREE little words - Music City Miracle!  - Sixteen Seconds left on the clock...

After the Bills had taken a 16–15 lead on a field goal with 16 seconds remaining in the game, Titans tight end Frank Wycheck threw a lateral pass across the field to Kevin Dyson on the ensuing kickoff return, and Dyson then ran 75 yards to score the winning touchdown and earn a 22–16 victory.

^^^^^^^ This is why you go down before the end zone. If Hyde gave himself up the Bills would have had the ball 1st and 10 at the one yard line and would have been able to run out the clock to end the game.

I remember clear as day nearly 20 years ago, I was jumping for joy that we had won the AFC Wildcard game.  The next thing I look over and wonder what the hell was going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIXTEEN F___ng SECONDS!

This is a Chess vs Checkers thing.

Edited by cd1