The pirouette. What are the NFL stats on onsides kicks?

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d agree, but that was Hyde’s fifth return for a TD. Can’t argue with him seeing a gap for a big return. It’s not like he hasn’t done it before. ?‍♂️

the issue isn’t risk of tackle it’s that you give the ball back with time on the clock. 

it’s all a long shot so picking nits but Miami is a lot less likely to score if they never touch the ball. Odds are they don’t score get the onside and score again either though.

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have gone down and I think he should have. But no big deal. Game was done in any event. 

Yup. My bigger curiousity is whether our special teams coordinator gave the instruction pre play or not. While it wouldn’t much matter today, it’s the type of attention to detail I’d like to see, especially from a coordinator that deals with rotating casts of character like special teams 

45 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Kneeling it out would have avoided risk of injuries on the following plays.

Really? You’re sayin stop trying to score while the game is still being played? There is always risk of injury in every single practice, there always  is risk of injury in every single play, Hell There is always risk of injury every time you walk out the front door, this is football, a gladiator sport, of freakin course there is risk of injury, sounds like a stop preseason games, billy could hurt himself lament. What’s happening to football fans??

Go Bills!!!

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the issue isn’t risk of tackle it’s that you give the ball back with time on the clock. 

it’s all a long shot so picking nits but Miami is a lot less likely to score if they never touch the ball. Odds are they don’t score get the onside and score again either though.

I get that. I’m saying that the player recovering the ball was Hyde who for 2-3 years was one of the best return men in the NFL before he locked down a key role on defense. It’s why they had him fielding punts earlier in the year. He’s also one of the smartest and most reliable players on the field. I trust Hyde to make the correct decision, which the results would indicate he did. If Knox recovered the ball I’d have a different take.  

I have not researched this, but I would say close to 100% of the time, if you are trying an onside kick.....the game is NOT going the way you had hoped. 

That play might have saved me from night terrors tonight. We’ll never know, but.......

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

There hasn't been an onsides kick recovered by the kicking team yet this year therefore it's more likely to be returned for a TD than recovered by the kicking team.

Until the Bears recovered 2...

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

I heard the call on XM (man Tasker is freaking annoying). After seeing the highlight, I had no problem with him running it in.  

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The league changed the rules a year or two ago that made it much, much more difficult to recover an onsides, mostly by outlawing a team to load up on one side. And then not allowing the kicking team to get a running start. 

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

I thought the same thing; absolutely perfectly kicked ball. I don’t think you can kick a better onsides kick.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

sure points are more sure

the comparison isn't with scoring the points, it's with giving the other team an opportunity to score 10 points in the remaining time.  the probability still isn't very high I grant you, but it's a lot higher than the off-chance there is a fumble on the kneel-downs

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I get that. I’m saying that the player recovering the ball was Hyde who for 2-3 years was one of the best return men in the NFL before he locked down a key role on defense. It’s why they had him fielding punts earlier in the year. He’s also one of the smartest and most reliable players on the field. I trust Hyde to make the correct decision, which the results would indicate he did. If Knox recovered the ball I’d have a different take.  

Statistically speaking I’d guess it’s the wrong one... not that any decisions actually “bad”

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The officials should have thrown at least three flags against the Bills on that play.

A flag on the bills would’ve helped them ensure the bills win ?

So, eleven times since 1970, and the Bills did it three times, cool ? 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Recall in the 1993 AFC championship against Denver Tasker returning a short kickoff almost for a TD, think he got taken down around the 10 yard line of Denver.  Can't recall though if it was an on-sides attempt or just a bad kickoff by Denver.  Do recall that play kind of changing the game though in Buffalo's favor.

43 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Really? You’re sayin stop trying to score while the game is still being played? There is always risk of injury in every single practice, there always  is risk of injury in every single play, Hell There is always risk of injury every time you walk out the front door, this is football, a gladiator sport, of freakin course there is risk of injury, sounds like a stop preseason games, billy could hurt himself lament. What’s happening to football fans??

Go Bills!!!

Was it Fred that did that very thing - giving himself up before the end zone to seal the win?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

Mc D could learn from hyde! always be scoring! I hate when he puts the breaks on bills momentum, gonna need to be aggro scoring wise to win it all in this league

Edited by motorj