The pirouette. What are the NFL stats on onsides kicks?

The league changed the rules a year or two ago that made it much, much more difficult to recover an onsides, mostly by outlawing a team to load up on one side. And then not allowing the kicking team to get a running start. 

The funny thing about the Hyde play, which was awesome, was that is exactly how you want an onsides kick to be. Maybe a mite long but that kick is in the 90 percentile I would imagine considering how you would want it kicked. Hyde just made an extraordinary play. 

• Like (+1) 10

No bloody idea, but will be watching to find out

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

Kneeling it out would have avoided risk of injuries on the following plays.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

question...Tasker kept saying "go down.go down". but he ran it back to go up 10. with 1:39 on the clock, no timeouts for Dolphins.would you have ran it back? or taken a knee?

Taking a knee would’ve been smarter.  But I could have sworn that in the past, you couldn’t advance an onsides kick recovery?

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure about this but I think if the kicking team catches it on a bounce like that they can't but the receiving team can. 

I wonder if they changed it because I could have sworn that happened to the Bills one time and they brought the ball back to where he recovered it.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wonder if they changed it because I could have sworn that happened to the Bills one time and they brought the ball back to where he recovered it.

typically it turns into a scrum and everyone gets tangled up.  

the pirouette kept him up and perfectly placed landing gave him a great running lane. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Since the above post shows the stats it looks like it's always been the rule. Just doesn't happen much. I honestly don't know though. No one seems to think there was anything unusual when he did it though. 

And obviously it is a "kick return" like any other. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'd have gone down and I think he should have. But no big deal. Game was done in any event. 

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

No rule change - the recovering team can advance and score - has happened 11 times since the 70’s.

The Kicking team can not advance it - if they recover it - it is down where it is recovered.

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The #Bills are the only team with more than one onside kick return TD since the merger, and now they have 3:

-Micah Hyde, Today
-Henry Jones, 12/19/99 at Arizona
-Greg Jones, 11/1/70 at Boston (they renamed themselves New England the following season)

3 times?  Wow. 

We own this !!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

more fun to run but the right play to maximize odds of winning is to get down.