1st half play calling

Steptide

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Knox pass wasn't a touchdown pass. It was a first down though inside the 10 and should have been caught. 

I am being completely fair with Josh. He was brilliant 2nd half. He was not good first half and he was the biggest reason for the offenses struggling to finish. 

We can disagree on where Knox would have been tackled - I think he would have gotten in, but you could very well be right as there was a safety lurking. Either way, he catches the ball at the Miami 13 and I think we score more than a field goal and have a bit of a different narrative for the entire first half.

That first possession I thought he was inconsistent as he had some pressure and had two incomplete passes (I think one was tipped) and a throw away. Toss in a penalty that took away 10 yards and a scramble for zero gain and we settled for a field goal.

That second possession they did drive down the field again, but I did not like the screen play call to McKenzie on 3rd and 11 which went for 0 yards. That play was called after Allen completed a 9 yard pass on 2nd and 10 that was called back with a 10 yard penalty. To me, the screen was a play that had little chance of success with how the Phins defense was playing in the box and a play that said that the Bills coaches were more than happy to settle for a field goal which we did. I also have a hard time laying the fault for that drive faltering all on Allen.

That 3rd possession was the possession with the back to back drops by Knox where we settled for a field goal.

There was some inconsistency and I saw the passes that were off the mark, but I think things went better in the second half because the refs stopped calling as many penalties and the rest of the offense along with Allen started making the plays they should have been making earlier when they were settling for field goals.

Edit here - Also our defense started finally making stops after that long drive they gave up in the 3rd.

Edited by WideNine

5 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Not sure it was in the first half but for a change we witnessed a perfectly executed screen pass.  We need more of what works on offense.

There was a bit of a screen pass to McKenzie late that worked. Will have to watch it again as I was not sure if it was a screen or a twist on a wheel route that usually goes to running backs. I think they got some blockers in front of him. Daboll likes to bring guys like McKenzie in motion for all those jet sweeps and such because defenses have to respect the motion and sets them up for counter plays.

There was nice touch on that pass and he took it in stride down to the one.

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I would have liked to see more running of the rock early on, in particular.  Gore should have had more than 11 carries.

Yeah Gore had 4 carries in the first half  Think Josh would be more effective with the defense thinking run vs sprinkling in the occasional run amongst the endless empty set passing plays  1st half flowed a lot like the Jets game minus the turnovers

I thought that they got away from the running game too much.  They had pretty good success with Gore off right tackle and then stopped going there.  Allen also had a couple of nice gains on the right side as well.  Miami brought a lot of blitzes up the middle which left the center of the field open.  You'd expect the slot receiver or a tight end to make the correct read and run the hot pattern in behind the blitzing linebacker.  I only saw that happen once during the game.  It also appeared that Allen had a lot of time on several plays and didn't have an open receiver.  Other than Brown, the receivers played poorly today.  As others have already pointed out, Daboll had a really bad first half.  It almost seemed that the Bills were expecting that Miami would just mail in the game.

With all of that said, it's still pretty cool to be 5 and 1.

4 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Daboll is too cute at times. 

This.  Daboll gets better in the second half where he calls plays that seem to be more manageable for Josh and end up being more successful.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I thought that they got away from the running game too much.  They had pretty good success with Gore off right tackle and then stopped going there.  Allen also had a couple of nice gains on the right side as well.  Miami brought a lot of blitzes up the middle which left the center of the field open.  You'd expect the slot receiver or a tight end to make the correct read and run the hot pattern in behind the blitzing linebacker.  I only saw that happen once during the game.  It also appeared that Allen had a lot of time on several plays and didn't have an open receiver.  Other than Brown, the receivers played poorly today.  As others have already pointed out, Daboll had a really bad first half.  It almost seemed that the Bills were expecting that Miami would just mail in the game.

Saw Gore on another stretch play that went for maybe a yard - not going to say that will never work, but it is like hammering the square peg into a round hole all day. He is usually money off tackle - he may get stopped for a yard, but usually he plows ahead for a bit more and if a guy misses and he gets any steam he's gonna pick up your 1st. 

Gore has also caught a few lobs on the wheel that have really surprised me, his soft hands and his ability to usually make at least one guy miss.

I was pretty skeptical of the Gore signing - I was wrong and glad he is a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I really thought they’d just hammer Miami with Gore after those first few runs. Dabs went away from it even though it was working... 

• Like (+1) 1