Josh Allen - week SEVEN report card

rayray808

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Oh it does? Do touchdowns have a lot to do with winning? Because Watson has ~ 10 TD’s more than Josh does this year. Do interceptions have a lot to do with winning? Because Watson has thrown less than half as many as Josh has. Actually, Josh has thrown 1 less career INT than Watson has and Josh has played 12 less games.

But sure. You’d take Allen. 

Just so we’re clear; winning counts as winning and I’d take Allen. Mostly because he’s won more this year. I’d take Watson’s receivers though. 

I bet you’d really like to have Orton right now btw.large.291CDF3A-9089-4943-89DA-80224B22C704.gif.e5bada5d0983937ab14941fea527f775.gif

Edited by SJDK

49 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Anyone less lazy than me know what Allen’s 2nd half completion percentage was, thanks in advance, ?

Go Bills!!!

10/11 = 90.9%.  Of course anything under 95% is struggling!

Oh and check out the official NFL site which has Allen's fourth quarter QB rating after today's game as 139.6!  That's almost perfect and every one of those 4th quarters were in close, contested games. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Lamar is praised to no end by the big football media. I watched the half-time show of that game but not the game itself, and by the tone I thought he had been killing them and then I see 5 for 12, 100 yards. WTH. His 3 highlights (2 passes and 1 run) were amazing though, no lie. But he must not have done that much more in regards to his stats. And at that time it was 13-13, which their defense scoring a TD. So it's not like the Ravens was killing it yet they keep praising him. I am aware Lamar had a better second half but both he and Josh win "differently" yet for some reason mostly Jackson gets the praise & attention, and so many Bills fans on here badmouth Allen more than anyone in the media.

I watched the game and the praise was over the top.  To be clear I like Jackson and think he might be the guy to turn conventional NFL wisdom on it's head but lets look at the numbers.  A couple of folks on 2BD have claimed that playing in Seattle against that defense is a tough assignment.  I call BS:

Here's how QB's have done throwing the football against Seattle in Seattle:

Week 1:  Andy Dalton was 35/51 for 418 yards; 2 TD's & 0 INT's.  Bengals lost by 1 point.

Week 3:  Teddy Bridgewater was 19/27 for 177 yards; 2 TD's & 0 INT's.  NO won the game.

Week 4:  G. Goff was 29/49 for 395 yards; 1 TD & 1 INT.  LA lost by 1 point.

So can we all agree that throwing the football in Seattle isn't the challenge it used to be?

Now today Jackson was 9/20 for 143 yards; 0 TD & 0 INT.  The difference maker was that Jackson ran the ball 14 times for 116 yards and a TD!

BTW, in this game the Raven's offense scored 3 FG's & 1 TD.  They had 2 defensive TD's. 

If Allen had these types of stats and he showed last year that he could match Jackson running the football, much of the football media would be in an uproar.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

C+. 

Allen needs his coming out game to come quickly. I would have preferred him to look like a star versus the Dolphins like virtually every other decent QB has looked like against them. The clock is ticking, IMO.

Why?  The most important thing is the win. As long as Allen is helping the team win, I could care less if he did not have his coming out game.

First Drive - Bills got a FG.  The series of plays that led to the FG were Allen running for no gain and throwing 2 passes away.  The 3rd down throw away was clearly a good decision in the face of immediate pressure.  The run for no gain is hard to be definitive about.  It may have been a designed screen or a designed run.  Allen faked the screen and ran.  The announcers said Allen didn't throw the screen because it looked like it was going to lose yards and it was a good decision to run it.  There was a free defender but that doesn't necessarily mean that it wouldn't work.  I can't really have a strong opinion on that play.  The second down play may have been a throw away and it can be debate-able to whether Allen should have done a better job of getting the ball to McKenzie.  When the ball arrived it looked like if Allen would have thrown the ball lower, he could have gotten a TD but the defender was in front of the receiver so if Allen threw it lower, there was better potential for the defender to make a play on the ball.  It is very subjective and there were no clear open receivers and Allen was throwing in the face of pressure.  I think it is hard to put any complete blame on Allen for that drive ending in only a FG.  The Dolphins defense was just better on those set of downs.

Second Drive - Bills got a FG.  The Bills had a 3rd and 1 and threw the ball.  Allen was under immediate pressure because Dawkins wasn't quick enough to get to the rusher and the receiver clearly wasn't ready for the ball and may have been held up by the defender.  To make matters worse, the line was called for holding so they were in 3rd & 11 rather than possibly attempting to convert a 4th & 1.  The Bills threw a screen pass and settled for a FG.  Again, hard to blame Allen for that failure.

Third Drive - Bills got a FG.  Second down pass was dropped, would have been a 1st down.  Third down pass was dropped but wouldn't have converted to a 1st down.  That was the play where Allen should have went to Brown to get the 1st down.  So there is some blame there but the drive should have been extended on the previous play.  It is possible that Allen decided pre-snap to go to Knox to give him a chance to redeem himself from the previous play.  It wasn't as open as you would like but sometimes it is hard to go away from a pre-snap decision and the play was still there.  I don't think it was that bad of play but obviously not the ideal decision.

Fourth Drive - Allen missed Brown on a deep throw and the commentator said that Brown looked for the ball too soon and essentially slowed down some and that is why the pass wasn't on target.  I kind of felt the same way when I saw it live.  It is a hard one to really say for sure but the play was there to be made, just hard to say who deserves the blame.  Allen then took a sack on 3rd down.  All of the receivers were downfield and without the all-22 I can't say whether it was a bad play or not.  There were no check downs, so it is very likely that there were no good options in that amount of time but I can't say that with any certainty.

Fifth Drive - First down looked like a drop by Beasley to me but I need a better view to be sure.  Beasley had to dive but with pressure in Allen's face and the throwing motion he had to use to avoid the defenders arms forced the less than ideal location to Beasley.  Any other release would have most likely been an incomplete pass.  Then it was the sack which lost 4 yards after Allen Broke/Missed 4 tacklers.  You could put that on Allen but he did have unblocked pressure right away, so it's not like he had time to go through his progressions.  With that said, he did have McKenzie open in the flat right away so you would like to see him just throw the ball to McKenzie right away rather than try to escape.  He had a second chance to get the ball to McKenzie before he got sacked so much of the blame for the sack is probably on Allen but he still showed some impressive tackle breaking on the play.  A false start on 3rd down made the sack even worse and then the Bills ran the ball and gave up on the drive.  

So on the last 2 drives of the half Allen had 1 play on each of them where he wasn't good enough and it aided the Bills in not getting points.  I have said this before but it isn't one thing that holds the Bills back from being as good as they can be.  They all take their turns.  If Beasley makes a tough catch to help over come the RT getting pushed back into Allen, then maybe the sack doesn't happen.  If Allen gets the ball to McKenzie rather than getting sacked then the false start doesn't keep the Bills from trying on 3rd down.  Maybe if the false start didn't happen, the Bills actually try to convert the down.  The point is, they all add up.  You can't put it all on the QB because he took a 4 yard sack and messed up 1 of 3 plays.

Sixth Drive - The Bills scored a TD

Seventh Drive - Allen missed the throw to Roberts which was his only bad pass in the second half.  That was on him but only 1 bad throw on a deep pass.

Eighth Drive - Bills scored a TD

Ninth Drive - The Bills ran the ball 3 times to wear down the clock

Tenth Drive - Bills returned onside kick for a TD

The Bills scored on 5 of 8 drives where the offenses was trying to score.  On the 3 FG drives it is hard to blame Allen for failure to get TD's in my opinion.  Sure, you could blame him for not going to Brown on the one play but should you also completely dismiss that the drive should have been extended on the previous play?  On the 3 drives where the Bills didn't score, You could put blame on Allen for 1 play on each drive and if that is enough for you to think he played poorly, so be it.  At best you could say that Allen had 3 plays where he negatively affected the Bills chances of scoring.  Those are spread out over 3 drives and 2 of them were deep balls so it's not like he was missing gimmie or easy throws.  He had other poor throws but the Bills were able to overcome them, so I didn't look at them.  If Allen would have hit the 2 deep balls, would you really have room to criticize him?  The Bills would have blown the Dolphins out if he did.  So essentially if you think he played poorly, it's because of 2 deep passes.  That seems a little too drastic to me.

Edited by wiley16350
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A for doing well enough to win

C- for not seeing some open receivers, but all QB's do it

A+ on the lob to the 2 and the laser between 4 defenders

B+ for overall placement

D on long ball accuracy

overall B maybe

His accuracy is definitely better than the highlight/lowlight prognosticators give him credit for

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

4 hours ago, WorstTEever81 said:

is anyone else upset there isn't emoji response on these boards with a middle finger? I am not saying a couple people here deserve it, but i'm not saying there isn't... just saying 

I will settle for an emoji of an ostrich with its head in the sand, or someone pooping on a party cake.

We won, we are 5 and 1 so "Ef" the style points and take the win and stop all the complaining jeez, I swear some folks here were happier when we were losing every other game with no light at the end of the freaking tunnel. Losing is a habit, and I am starting to think that bitching may be too.

I'll take the win, Miami will have to get its one win this season somewhere else. Maybe someone kicks our team in the nuts next week and we lose, but for the rest of this week we are still winners.

5 hours ago, Whitey13 said:

Do you honestly believe Allen is the only one to miss open receivers? JFC the mentality of some of you people is ridiculous 

Nobody is perfect. Even the best qbs miss open receivers. But how many of them look right at the open receiver and don’t throw? 

It seems to happen every week with Josh. He’s making his job harder than it needs to be. He can easily make the throws that are needed and usually made them at some other point in the game.

There’s replays from the endzone so you can see his eyes. Looks right at the open receiver his movements seem to indicate he’s gonna throw it to them but he stops for some reason when he still has an open window to complete the pass. 

If he cleaned that up along along with the deep ball we would be blowing teams out.

But I guess wanting him to be better is ridiculous.

C-

I'm just hoping this isn't his high point and he'll still get a lot better, but there is no guarantee that will happen. Some guys just never see the field, read defenses, etc that well. Others QB's survive by their awareness and instincts. I hope Josh will continue to improve. If not, they need to cut bait and try again.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Nobody is perfect. Even the best qbs miss open receivers. But how many of them look right at the open receiver and don’t throw? 

It seems to happen every week with Josh. He’s making his job harder than it needs to be. He can easily make the throws that are needed and usually made them at some other point in the game.

There’s replays from the endzone so you can see his eyes. Looks right at the open receiver his movements seem to indicate he’s gonna throw it to them but he stops for some reason when he still has an open window to complete the pass. 

If he cleaned that up along along with the deep ball we would be blowing teams out.

In my defenses against Josh I've never said there isnt room to improve but my god some of the criticisms I see on here, Buffalo Rumblings and the Bills subreddit makes it seem like people dont watch other games or want Josh to fail.

I think Josh fits the definition of "gamer" to a T.  I was very frustrated in the 1st half but then Josh goes out there and plays an almost perfect 2nd half.  The dude dials it in when it's crunch time, and that's a great quality to have in a QB.

Teams shouldn't apologize for "ugly" wins.  The whole point is to get the W and thankfully the Bills have a couple of guys -- Josh and Tre White -- who were not going to let them lose.

12 hours ago, Chill said:

JA has got to get his head in the game. Too many rookie mistakes for a second year player. Looks immature and has a lot of growing to do. EJ Manualesque. 

He is still a question mark. Hopefully he will turn the corner soon. 

Get ready, you spoke against the "Chosen One".  You are now a know nothing troll, who doesn't know football and obviously can't see the greatness in front of you.  5-1 with 4 come from behind wins against 4 of the worst teams in the NFL are proof of the greatness.  Letting facts like 12 turnovers get in the way and pointing out, were it not for his deficiencies, there wouldn't have been a need for comebacks, is not going to be allowed here.

6 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He's been horrible, but nobody here wants to admit it.  People were hating on Tannehill when he was in Miami and thus far, Josh has been a slightly worse version of a young Tannehill.  Can he improve? I sure hope so.  Right now, everywhere outside of Buffalo, people are questioning how the Bills are winning despite horrible QB play.  Here apparently, as long as you get the W, regardless of the 4 of those wins were struggles against the worst teams in the NFL, Josh Allen is God.  The sad part is, he's the best QB the Bills have had since Flutie and people think they have something.  It's blatantly obvious to the rest of the world, he's headed towards the Bust side of that "boom or bust" lable he had coming into the NFL.  That draft class of QBs is not looking good at all.  Mayfield looks like a middle of the road type who's attitude may kill him, Darnold has exactly one game to hang his hat on, Allen has perfected coming back after handing games away, Rosen is probably done already and Jackson is pretty good in that system, but not a real thrower at all, but again hype because the team is winning. 2 years from now, people will look back at this draft and question what everyone was so excited about.  The year before you had 2 HOF potential QBs fall to 10 and 13 or whereever Watson was taken and nobody from this class is close after going 1,3,7,10