How to shorten the game

How many minutes would you like the quarters to be?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Shorter Quarters

• 10 minutes
    • 12 minutes
    • 15 minutes

Just want to say that im not in favor of reducing the minutes in a game but it would allow for 3 things:

1. make the games shorter

2. time to watch other games 

3. Reduce injuries to players, especially with the extra games the league will be adding.

Edit: reducing commercials is NEVER HAPPENING. TV money comes from the commercials.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Just want to say that im not in favor of reducing the minutes in a game but it would allow for 3 things:

1. make the games shorter

2. time to watch other games 

3. Reduce injuries to players, especially with the extra games the league will be adding.

But if all games were shorter, how would shorter games allow more time to watch other games?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

If you want to shorten the game, I would think about fewer clock stoppages for incomplete passes or players going out of bounds. Maybe only stop the clock for those things after a two minute warning.  It’s not as if the refs have to go fetch the ball when it goes outside the playing field.  They have plenty of balls that they can swap in while the other ball is being retrieved. 

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like it the way it is but its a common complaint that the game is too long.

P

Not a complaint with me (I would take less commercials, but I'm not going to win that one). Baseball an college football go too long. NFL has plenty of problems, but length of game isn't one of them imo.

2 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

There’s already limited “actual” playing time. No thanks.  

Yup. The clock already keeps ticking after an in-bounds run or catch.

In the college game, on a first down, they stop the clock until the ball is reset by the refs. That’s how it should be in the pros too, but whatever.

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

If you want to shorten the game, I would think about fewer clock stoppages for incomplete passes or players going out of bounds. Maybe only stop the clock for those things after a two minute warning.  It’s not as if the refs have to go fetch the ball when it goes outside the playing field.  They have plenty of balls that they can swap in while the other ball is being retrieved. 

Not a bad idea