Jump to content
Buffalo Barbarian

How to shorten the game

How many minutes would you like the quarters to be?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. Shorter Quarters

    • 10 minutes
    • 12 minutes
      0
    • 15 minutes


Recommended Posts

Just want to say that im not in favor of reducing the minutes in a game but it would allow for 3 things:

 

1. make the games shorter

2. time to watch other games 

3. Reduce injuries to players, especially with the extra games the league will be adding.

 

Edit: reducing commercials is NEVER HAPPENING. TV money comes from the commercials.

 

 

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Just want to say that im not in favor of reducing the minutes in a game but it would allow for 3 things:

 

1. make the games shorter

2. time to watch other games 

3. Reduce injuries to players, especially with the extra games the league will be adding.

 

 

But if all games were shorter, how would shorter games allow more time to watch other games?  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

But if all games were shorter, how would shorter games allow more time to watch other games?  

 

DVR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't like the idea at all. U wanna shorten games, fix officiating and replay 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we need to shorten the game?   The only thing that's changed in that regard in the last 40 years is the number of commercials.

 

Baseball, with its 5 1/2 hour playoff games on the other hand.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GunnerBill said:

No reason to change. 

 

I like it the way it is but its a common complaint that the game is too long.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less commercials and fewer reviews and flags would be good.

60 min games is perfect the way it is.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Don't like the idea at all. U wanna shorten games, fix officiating and replay 

 

Well thats never happening so ...

 

:lol:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m more for a running clock for 30 minute halves.....plus extra time for

injuries. Premier-League style.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stosh64 said:

Less commercials and fewer reviews and flags would be good.

60 min games is perfect the way it is.

 

it is but thats not  happening either. Adds pay the bills.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to shorten the game, I would think about fewer clock stoppages for incomplete passes or players going out of bounds. Maybe only stop the clock for those things after a two minute warning.  It’s not as if the refs have to go fetch the ball when it goes outside the playing field.  They have plenty of balls that they can swap in while the other ball is being retrieved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seasons1992 said:

I’m more for a running clock for 30 minute halves.....plus extra time for

injuries. Premier-League style.

 

Like clock doesn't stop?

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

 

I like it the way it is but its a common complaint that the game is too long.

 

P

Not a complaint with me (I would take less commercials, but I'm not going to win that one). Baseball an college football go too long. NFL has plenty of problems, but length of game isn't one of them imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

There’s already limited “actual” playing time. No thanks.  


Yup. The clock already keeps ticking after an in-bounds run or catch.

 

In the college game, on a first down, they stop the clock until the ball is reset by the refs. That’s how it should be in the pros too, but whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

If you want to shorten the game, I would think about fewer clock stoppages for incomplete passes or players going out of bounds. Maybe only stop the clock for those things after a two minute warning.  It’s not as if the refs have to go fetch the ball when it goes outside the playing field.  They have plenty of balls that they can swap in while the other ball is being retrieved. 

 

Not a bad idea

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So....reducing the length of each Q will make the games shorter, you say?  LOL. Mind blown!!

 

WTF is this??

 

Anyway, the Bills game finished in time to catch the end of the Colts/Texans game.  

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

Who's complaining about this anyways?

 

Lots of people, here it on tv all the time

 

Leave vote while you're complaining

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Playing more, but enjoying it less?  Try new ‘Short Quarters’!  Yes, ‘Short Quarters’, less time for those pesky zebras to make another bungle.  Ask for them today!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

There’s already limited “actual” playing time. No thanks.  

As far as I know, the last time anyone actually checked this NFL games featured about 11 minutes of "actual" playing time in a game that takes about 3 and a quarter hours to complete. That is, time in which the ball is in play, snap-to-whistle.

EDIT: and when I've spent time around foreign soccer fans, this is perhaps the thing they're most mystified about ... the amount of dead ball time.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...