Postgame: Dolphins 21 at Bills 31

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but I think the last time the Bills returned an onside kick for a TD was in December 1999 against the Cardinals (Henry Jones did the honors). I was at that game and amazingly enough the final score of that game was also 31-21.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Pfff. Excuses. WRs have been getting open regularly and repeatedly. A WR had FIVE YARDS of separation today and Allen overthrew him by another five. This idea that we’re running with XFL receivers and they suck needs to get put to bed. It’s BS. Josh is raw. He sucks at making reads. He can’t throw a deep ball to save his mother. Sick of people like you making excuses for this kid. He’ll get better, I am sure. He doesn’t need the constant scapegoating. Watch the f-ing tape

No doubt he's badly missing some long throws and his pass placement in general is not good.  But he makes up for a lot of those shortcomings by extending plays and gaining yardage with his feet.   The equation the Bills have offensively is a group of WR that create very little margin for error for the QB + a dynamic QB who needs a lot of margin for error.    That's why points have been at a premium for this offense.   Two weeks ago morons like yourself were claiming it was just because of turnovers.   Like I said then......you dumb ***** were wrong.   The WR corps in general is bottom 1/4 of the NFL.    That alone should be enough reason to be very actively trying to improve it even if you had a veteran QB.  But by all means keep wishing upon a star that Allen is going to suddenly turn into a Chad Pennington.    That's not what they drafted.   

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsVet said:

When does McD step in and demand simplicity from his OC for a QB who clearly is struggling?  At which point does McD recognize that he and the GM's attempts to rebuild an offense in one (!) off-season is at best providing middling results?

McD's first comments this past off-season at the combine were presumably an answer to the most effective criticism of his tenure:  the offense.  McCoach proceeded to say they needed to score 21 points per, which through 6 games they've done three times against a weak schedule.  

The HC has no more clue on offense than did Chan Gailey on defense.  They're coordinators masquerading as HC's and do not take a total view of team building, hence the other side of the ball not progressing much from 2 seasons ago.  

I think the problem McD would have is that the personnel isn't suited to succeeding playing a simplified offense.    They need to run their routes to perfection and execute the gimmick plays just to move the ball because they don't win individual matchups in the passing game.

Watching Allen I am continually reminded of a young John Elway.............making plays(good and bad) and helping his team win despite not putting up even "good" passing numbers by NFL standards.    Elway had only one season where he threw 20 TD's in his first 10 years and that year he threw more INT(23) than TD(22).

But that wasn't Elway's ceiling.........he was just limited by the personnel.  Mediocre receivers...nothing special at TE......modest RB production.

Enter Shannon Sharpe and Anthony Miller and Rod Smith and Ed McCaffery and his game elevated accordingly.    That's what can happen with Allen, IMO.    He's not a guy who is going to roll up 350 yard games throwing the ball 40+ times.   He's going to run around and keep chains moving and look a lot better late in games when defenses are exhausted from chasing him around and continually having to cover receivers for twice as long per pass route.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but I think the last time the Bills returned an onside kick for a TD was in December 1999 against the Cardinals (Henry Jones did the honors). I was at that game and amazingly enough the final score of that game was also 31-21.

I think I was the first to mention it in the GDT.

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

…..i'm annoyed they didn't award a sack to phillips on his amazing goal line play....

that is all.

That's weird, why wasn't he credited with a sack? I think that was the 3rd time this year Phillips has attempted to jump the snap at the goal line. The other 2 times he was offside. This time he nailed it, and it couldn't have come at a more crucial time.

Edited by HappyDays

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's weird, why wasn't he credited with a sack? I think that was the 3rd time this year Phillips has attempted to jump the snap at the goal line. The other 2 times he was offside. This time he nailed it, and it couldn't have come at a more crucial time.

Ya I was looking at team stats on espn yesterday and Oliver has the only credited sack. Phillips was TFL. 

and I love that he takes those shots. When you are down on the 1 or 2 it’s worth the flag to at least try.