Postgame: Dolphins 21 at Bills 31

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

We're a little over exuberant for having to come from behind against a winless team for a victory 

We overcame a poor start. In fact we've shown we can recover from poor play several times this year. The ability to come back is more important than the ability to dominate.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Please be sure to not be specific about your original point so that it can't be refuted.  It seemed you were saying that one bad game showed more than 5 good games.  But of course that couldn't be it.   I'm not sure what you're saying but I'm sure you're right.

The Dolphins had three good drives today.  Two resulted in TDs and one they botched, creating a pick on what should have been a score.  They added a garbage time drive for another TD.  That isn't the best look for the Bills D but it is hardly some sort of definition of the season.

No.  I could not have been more specific that I was referring only to this game. I quoted my "original point".   Garbage time??  That TD pout them within a FG of tying and an onside kick coming up and over 2 minutes to play!   I'm wasting my time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We overcame a poor start. In fact we've shown we can recover from poor play several times this year. The ability to come back is more important than the ability to dominate.

I like the emotional resilience. We aren't playing scared like we did through the decade of fail. It just feels like people are making Superbowl reservations after coming from behind vs a winless team led by one of our QB rejects 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I like the emotional resilience. We aren't playing scared like we did through the decade of fail. It just feels like people are making Superbowl reservations after coming from behind vs a winless team led by one of our QB rejects 

Has anyone on this board made claims to the Super Bowl at this point ? I haven’t seen it. Pretty generally accepted that a WC spot is the Bills most likely way into the playoffs and beating NE would probably be required to advance that far. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.  I could not have been more specific that I was referring only to this game. I quoted my "original point".   Garbage time??  That TD pout them within a FG of tying and an onside kick coming up and over 2 minutes to play!   I'm wasting my time.

On your first point I agree that we were not a top 5 defense this week.  

On the second:

The entire time they had the ball all the Bills needed to have happen was for the clock to get under 2 minutes to mean recovering an onside kick sealed the game.  The Bills achieved getting the click under 2 min.  There were not over 2 minutes to play.  Miami scored on a fluke play after converting a 4th on another fluke play.  It was garbage time.

14 minutes ago, stuvian said:

We're a little over exuberant for having to come from behind against a winless team for a victory 

Who is over exuberant? I’m just glad we won a game against an NFL team. I’m happy we are 5-1. The Patriots may have a better margin of victory, but we are the best team they played and that was close. We just might have won if not for a dirty head shot to Josh. It’s all about the wins and losses. We WON today. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

On your first point I agree that we were not a top 5 defense this week.  

On the second:

The entire time they had the ball all the Bills needed to have happen was for the clock to get under 2 minutes to mean recovering an onside kick sealed the game.  The Bills achieved getting the click under 2 min.  There were not over 2 minutes to play.  Miami scored on a fluke play after converting a 4th on another fluke play.  It was garbage time.

If the Fins recover the onsides kick they are driving for the tie or win.  That’s not garbage time. Hyde’s TD return was garbage time, however

The onside kick is a 0 percent play in 2019 so I lean that the drive with the Fitz rushing TD was garbage time and the Bills won when they got up by ten.

I think the offense made progress in that we saw 3 FG possessions where before we would see a turnover or a mistake on one of those drives before but also had the 90 yard drove after the interception and scored off the fumble. The offensive game plan is taking what the defense gives and taking some deep shots. The only drive I didn't like the playcalls was the one with 3 straight runs at the 2 minute warning.

The defense laid an egg early but made some timely turnovers to seal the game.

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No doubt Allen can do better..........he really struggled in the first half.    But from my perspective above on the 50 yard line it's been pretty concerning how little separation this WR corps gets and how relatively small they are as targets.   They really have a lot on the inexperienced Allen's shoulders running a complicated offense let alone doing it without a stud WR.  5 years from now he might not need a true stud #1..........but right now it would be by far the best thing this team could do for itself.

Pfff. Excuses. WRs have been getting open regularly and repeatedly. A WR had FIVE YARDS of separation today and Allen overthrew him by another five. This idea that we’re running with XFL receivers and they suck needs to get put to bed. It’s BS. Josh is raw. He sucks at making reads. He can’t throw a deep ball to save his mother. Sick of people like you making excuses for this kid. He’ll get better, I am sure. He doesn’t need the constant scapegoating. Watch the f-ing tape

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the Fins recover the onsides kick they are driving for the tie or win.  That’s not garbage time. Hyde’s TD return was garbage time, however

Hyde's TD was indeed garbage time.

Up until the onside kick the Bills covered, onside kicks had been recovered at a 0% clip in the NFL this year.  There was one later in the day when the receiving team made an egregious error.  Danny Crossman is the Dolphins special teams coach.  Garbage time.

Are you maintaining the drive the Dolphins put together at the end didn't have flukes?  Are you saying the Bills didn't at least get it to the point where kneel downs would have finished things?  Yes I could have done without Fitz's miracle escape and run but it happened.

Edited by 4merper4mer

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Love the 5-1 record. In no way do I think this Bills team is a finished product yet. Still a few positional needs and a young, still rough around the edges QB. 

The Bills are a little ahead of schedule and they will make the playoffs, but they are a more difficult team to diagnose than usual. I have a feeling that the remainder of their games are going to be battles...what we have been seeing is what we are going to get.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They really have a lot on the inexperienced Allen's shoulders running a complicated offense let alone doing it without a stud WR.  5 years from now he might not need a true stud #1..........but right now it would be by far the best thing this team could do for itself.

When does McD step in and demand simplicity from his OC for a QB who clearly is struggling?  At which point does McD recognize that he and the GM's attempts to rebuild an offense in one (!) off-season is at best providing middling results?

McD's first comments this past off-season at the combine were presumably an answer to the most effective criticism of his tenure:  the offense.  McCoach proceeded to say they needed to score 21 points per, which through 6 games they've done three times against a weak schedule.  

The HC has no more clue on offense than did Chan Gailey on defense.  They're coordinators masquerading as HC's and do not take a total view of team building, hence the other side of the ball not progressing much from 2 seasons ago.  

The Bills are not a finished product, yet we are watching them try to become one. They continue to win anyway. It is obvious that with a few reinforcements, they will be a more complete team with the ability to close out other teams.

21 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

The onside kick is a 0 percent play in 2019 so I lean that the drive with the Fitz rushing TD was garbage time and the Bills won when they got up by ten.

I think the offense made progress in that we saw 3 FG possessions where before we would see a turnover or a mistake on one of those drives before but also had the 90 yard drove after the interception and scored off the fumble. The offensive game plan is taking what the defense gives and taking some deep shots. The only drive I didn't like the playcalls was the one with 3 straight runs at the 2 minute warning.

The defense laid an egg early but made some timely turnovers to seal the game.

A TD  to get within 3 points of a tie and looking at an onside kick has now been redefined right here at TSW as "garbage time TD".  Holy smokes.

I love this place!

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why is everything 100% suck or awesome? Allen wasn't perfect today. He made bad throws. But there was plenty of bad to go around. Bottom line, when he needed to go 98 yards to take a lead he did it.

Myself personally PTR, I'm soaking up every minute of the development of one Mr Josh Allen and one mans trash is another mans treasure. Wanting A J Green in a Bills uni just kinda goes with the territory.

In the best Stevie Johnson imitation I can muster,

Why so serious...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And the Dolphins showed life in an early season game against Dallas.  In that game, played at Dallas and with Rosen at QB, Miami was only down 10 - 6 at half. 

I think today we got the best game Miami can play.  And with Fitz at the helm and playing well, we were in real danger of getting upset.  That we didn't is impressive IMO.   A good team would find a way to win this game no matter how poorly they played and no matter how well Miami played.  And we won so I'm believing we are a good team.

I'll never understand why this simple truth is lost on some fans.

I suspect if you find fans who don't understand this, you'll find them in a room with fans who like to predict failure simply because it's the easiest thing to predict in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2