Postgame: Dolphins 21 at Bills 31

Some observations from today's win:

*  This might be a special team and here's why we survived a bad effort from our #1 strength the defense AND we survived a full dose of FITZMAGIC.  Over the years FITZMAGIC can QB a bad team to an improbable win over a good team.  We've seen it before and it's why a lot of us were nervous about this game. 

*  Past Bills teams ABSOLUTELY would have lost this game and seen their 4 - 1 start deteriorate into a 7 - 9 finish.  Past Bills teams would not have made that INT at the 2. And if they had they would NOT have driven 98 yards for the go ahead TD.  Does Tyrod or EJ or even Orton take us 98 yards to the go ahead score?  You know they don't.  This QB & this team are different.

*  Allen is getting closer on the long balls.  The 1st miss was by 5 yards but the 2nd miss was by only a yard.  When he zeros in on those throws he'll start hitting them.

*  People expected to much from Singleterry & Kroft.  Coming back from injury after missing a  substantial amount of time was likely to have them rusty.  Look for BOTH players to step up next week.

*  At some point Allen's 4th quarter play will translate for an entire game.  His 4th quarter numbers this year are off the charts.  When you listen to the great coaches talk they ALL say how important it is for a QB to be clutch in the 4th quarter.  Everything else will come in time but if he's not clutch in the 4th he may never be clutch. 

*  One more thing, 300 yard games are nothing compared to playing well in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line.  Plenty of 300 yard QB's lose the game.  Very few lose games when they play well in close contests in the 4th. 

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

We need another WR.  Our passing game is brutal 

We need to get more weapons, particularly of the game breaking variety, on offense.  A true #1 WR is a must.  I think out stable of TE's will develop into big play makers though they aren't there yet.  We also need a big play RB.  Gore is a HOF warrior but he's not the kind of RB that can over a game.  Singleterry may be that guy but right now he isn't. 

The bottom line IMO is that the offense is probably doing the best it can and if it can limit TO's and be more consistent we're a 10/11 win team this season.  I also think there's an outside chance it could become more explosive with the return of Foster and a more rapid development of the TE's & Singleterry.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I asked if a top 5 defense had ever had a bad game.  That is a simple question.   You answered it with a question that added in parameters.  

Your effort to define the discussion in a negative way is completely dishonest as usual.  I asked if a top 5 defense had ever had a bad game.  Your response, knowing of course that top 5 defenses have indeed had bad games, was an effort to say it was impossible for a top 5 defense to have a game as bad as the Bills had today.  That's a joke so I decided not to look up every box score in NFL history.

That's not what the discussion was about when you stumbled in.

This is what was being discussed:

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills D looked rough.  Only D to give up over 20 points to Miami.  Other than Deadskins, the Bills are the only team they could get within 20 points of.

33+ minutes TOP.  24 1st downs.  381 total yards. 21 points---All season highs for the Fins....against the #3 D in the NFL.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Has any top 5 defense ever had a bad game?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Top 3 D vs a winless team the worst Offense in the NFL? 

When did that happen?

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Supposedly Bills at Vikings.  Be sure to add more weird parameters to maintain negativity.

There were no weird parameters: we were discussing a top 3 D allowing the worst (historically bad in fact) Offense in the NFL to have it's best performance.  We weren't discussing whether "top 5 Defenses ever have a bad game": (they sure do).  We were talking specifically about this type of performance. 

But, even if we accept your question (Has any top 5 defense ever had a bad game?) you answer it with this bizarre post:

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

9 years ago your boys got spanked at home by a bad Brown's team.

Uhhhh what?  Horrible D lost to a mediocre Offense.  Total non sequitur.

My question was simple,.  You changed the question and then answered with a post that answered nothing.

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I always think that at first but then I think about what a really good TE could mean to this offense. The Bills in their entire history have never had a really really good TE. Can you imagine a guy like Kittle or Kelcey or Ertz in this offense? That’s what we really need. Another guy in the passing game, but a Tight End that can be a matchup nightmare between the hash marks. I think Jon Brown might be the best outside WR the bills have had since Moulds and Beasley is good as well. Bring in a real pass catching TE somehow 

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Wouldn’t hate another WR. However, there are generally open guys on most plays. Allen needs to find them more quickly and deliver the ball. Needs to get better at dealing with the blitz in particular. 

Generally open guys on most plays?   Not by normal NFL standards.   This WR corps is poor.   John Brown and a bunch of JAG's.   They desperately need a playmaker that their erratic young QB can ALSO throw a contested ball to and win from time to time.    The need to "gadget"  their way to 12 play drives to score a TD is not going to work in the playoffs and that's what they need to be thinking about.   

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I always think that at first but then I think about what a really good TE could mean to this offense. The Bills in their entire history have never had a really really good TE. Can you imagine a guy like Kittle or Kelcey or Ertz in this offense? That’s what we really need. Another guy in the passing game, but a Tight End that can be a matchup nightmare between the hash marks. I think Jon Brown might be the best outside WR the bills have had since Moulds and Beasley is good as well. Bring in a real pass catching TE somehow 

They’re hoping Knox becomes on of those guys. It’s early. An established good TE probably wouldn’t be available in a trade, and would cost a pretty good pick if they were. Depends on the deal 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Generally open guys on most plays?   Not by normal NFL standards.   This WR corps is poor.   John Brown and a bunch of JAG's.   They desperately need a playmaker that their erratic young QB can ALSO throw a contested ball to and win from time to time.    The need to "gadget"  their way to 12 play drives to score a TD is not going to work in the playoffs and that's what they need to be thinking about.   

It’s not a very good corps, and I think they should be a player in the trade market. Allen can still do better than he has though. 

So, color me impressed by the Dolphins. They don’t have the talent and I am sure they were triply amped up to play a 4-1 Bills team, but some real positives they can build on:

1) they played very physically, on both sides of the ball; I thought their O-line did a really

nice job.

2) they seem to be very well-coached and played hard. It was crazy seeing the stat how they are second least penalized team in the league. Usually there is a correlation between being a bad team and lots of penalties. Apparently, Flores has them fairly well-disciplined. Plus, have to give him (and Crossman!!) credit on that fake FG. Very well-executed.

3) they seem to have a few pretty good skill players to build around. I thought that running back (Ballage?) looked very shifty, and Gilesci was outstanding out there. They obviously need a QB, but Fitz is serviceable and played well.

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

By NFL standards that's a huge amount of leeway you've given yourself. Before the season I said 9-7. Now I think 10-6.

hah. So true. 

I was predicting between 6 and 12 wins this year. Feeling good about that prediction still, imma stick with it. 

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s not a very good corps, and I think they should be a player in the trade market. Allen can still do better than he has though. 

No doubt Allen can do better..........he really struggled in the first half.    But from my perspective above on the 50 yard line it's been pretty concerning how little separation this WR corps gets and how relatively small they are as targets.   They really have a lot on the inexperienced Allen's shoulders running a complicated offense let alone doing it without a stud WR.  5 years from now he might not need a true stud #1..........but right now it would be by far the best thing this team could do for itself.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's not what the discussion was about when you stumbled in.

This is what was being discussed:

There were no weird parameters: we were discussing a top 3 D allowing the worst (historically bad in fact) Offense in the NFL to have it's best performance.  We weren't discussing whether "top 5 Defenses ever have a bad game": (they sure do).  We were talking specifically about this type of performance. 

But, even if we accept your question (Has any top 5 defense ever had a bad game?) you answer it with this bizarre post:

Uhhhh what?  Horrible D lost to a mediocre Offense.  Total non sequitur.

My question was simple,.  You changed the question and then answered with a post that answered nothing.

Please be sure to not be specific about your original point so that it can't be refuted.  It seemed you were saying that one bad game showed more than 5 good games.  But of course that couldn't be it.   I'm not sure what you're saying but I'm sure you're right.

The Dolphins had three good drives today.  Two resulted in TDs and one they botched, creating a pick on what should have been a score.  They added a garbage time drive for another TD.  That isn't the best look for the Bills D but it is hardly some sort of definition of the season.

4 hours ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

Colts 2nd best team.in afc and thats not debatable

You sir are the best Pat's* troll this board has seen in some time.  Keep it up.

4 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

That is true, as long as they can do it against the better teams...

Many believe you are a troll from other teams.  I do not believe it.  You're nothing more than a disgruntled Bills fan.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm sorry for you that the Bills won today. 

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

So, color me impressed by the Dolphins. They don’t have the talent and I am sure they were triply amped up to play a 4-1 Bills team, but some real positives they can build on:

1) they played very physically, on both sides of the ball; I thought their O-line did a really

nice job.

2) they seem to be very well-coached and played hard. It was crazy seeing the stat how they are second least penalized team in the league. Usually there is a correlation between being a bad team and lots of penalties. Apparently, Flores has them fairly well-disciplined. Plus, have to give him (and Crossman!!) credit on that fake FG. Very well-executed.

3) they seem to have a few pretty good skill players to build around. I thought that running back (Ballage?) looked very shifty, and Gilesci was outstanding out there. They obviously need a QB, but Fitz is serviceable and played well.

And the Dolphins showed life in an early season game against Dallas.  In that game, played at Dallas and with Rosen at QB, Miami was only down 10 - 6 at half. 

I think today we got the best game Miami can play.  And with Fitz at the helm and playing well, we were in real danger of getting upset.  That we didn't is impressive IMO.   A good team would find a way to win this game no matter how poorly they played and no matter how well Miami played.  And we won so I'm believing we are a good team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And the Dolphins showed life in an early season game against Dallas.  In that game, played at Dallas and with Rosen at QB, Miami was only down 10 - 6 at half. 

I think today we got the best game Miami can play.  And with Fitz at the helm and playing well, we were in real danger of getting upset.  That we didn't is impressive IMO.   A good team would find a way to win this game no matter how poorly they played and no matter how well Miami played.  And we won so I'm believing we are a good team.

well said.