Around the League Week 7

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

He played great and beat a very good team on the road. Ravens have the highest scoring offense in football. Lamar is why.

They are going to be hard to beat in a few weeks. 

That is going to be a tough game. Still don’t think Jackson is going to carve up the Bills defense through the air. Running ? He’s going to do some damage. They’ll have to be super disciplined to limit it. 

Ugly W aside, the AFC results all pretty much went the Bills' way yesterday.  Gained a game on the Texans, Raiders, and Chargers, and Baltimore won a game against the NFC that nearly cripples their playoff tiebreakers.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Agreed.

His route running leaves a lot to be desired as well. I watched a lot of the Seattle/Baltimore game and his change in direction is very telegraphed. It makes it easy for CBs to cover him.

His route running is nothing special, but to be fair, nobody could move well on that field yesterday. It wasn't an epic mess like the Washington-San Fran game was, but players were slipping and sliding all over the place. For a guy that already isn't great at changing direction, he had no chance at it yesterday.

And even with relatively sloppy route running, I don't think he's easy to cover at all, and I think that's what defenses have found out so far this year. His size/speed combo puts pressure on the defense on every snap.

37 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

He played great and beat a very good team on the road. Ravens have the highest scoring offense in football. Lamar is why.

They are going to be hard to beat in a few weeks. 

It's honestly amazing. Lamar is hovering around 5th-10th in the MVP race right now and people are actually still trying to say he can't play QB in the NFL. If Josh was playing nearly as well as Lamar has this season, we might be viewed as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year with the defense we have.

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That is going to be a tough game. Still don’t think Jackson is going to carve up the Bills defense through the air. Running ? He’s going to do some damage. They’ll have to be super disciplined to limit it. 

Ravens are kind of an up and down team. Really struggled at home vs Bengals.D is very suspect.  Peters really helped them yesterday. I just don’t like the matchup with Bills. 

34 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's honestly amazing. Lamar is hovering around 5th-10th in the MVP race right now and people are actually still trying to say he can't play QB in the NFL. If Josh was playing nearly as well as Lamar has this season, we might be viewed as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year with the defense we have.

I think with Lamar it is hard sometimes (and I find myself guilty of this too) to divorce the "how well he is playing" from the "how sustainable is this as a way to win?" I think Lamar was stunning yesterday in what he was able to do. I don't think you can long term win in the NFL playing that way - defences will adjust and they will make you play a different way. The point is though that Lamar has shown improvement as a passer this year and so he doesn't need it necessarily to be sustainable. He needs it to sustain while he continues to develop from the pocket. So long as he and Roman and the Ravens don't lose sight of that they will be on the right path for some time to come. 

50 minutes ago, eball said:

Ugly W aside, the AFC results all pretty much went the Bills' way yesterday.  Gained a game on the Texans, Raiders, and Chargers, and Baltimore won a game against the NFC that nearly cripples their playoff tiebreakers.

I think the Texans winning and separating would have been a better outcome. There is a chance that they and Indy are both 10 win teams but equally a chance they both finish with 9.... I think the AFS is the most likely division to produce a wildcard (except for the AFCE in the shape of the Bills obviously). 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think with Lamar it is hard sometimes (and I find myself guilty of this too) to divorce the "how well he is playing" from the "how sustainable is this as a way to win?" I think Lamar was stunning yesterday in what he was able to do. I don't think you can long term win in the NFL playing that way - defences will adjust and they will make you play a different way. The point is though that Lamar has shown improvement as a passer this year and so he doesn't need it necessarily to be sustainable. He needs it to sustain while he continues to develop from the pocket. So long as he and Roman and the Ravens don't lose sight of that they will be on the right path for some time to come. 

Yep, I agree with that for the most part. My view of the QBs that bring a lot of running to the table has generally been that you still have to be able to pass (duh), but that if you're a very good runner, it increases your margin for error as a passer (i.e. the way it plays out in actuality is that it'll likely be easier to find holes in the defense due to the defense needing to expend more resources on stopping their running ability).

I'd say that this applies to guys that are the level of runner that Josh Allen is, but Lamar is in a completely different class in that regard. He's legitimately as good a runner as probably like a top 10ish RB and is also throwing the ball like an average starting QB. I'm sure a couple teams will be able to play him very tough defensively (New England comes to mind), but with Roman's running schemes, Lamar's vertical passing ability, and Lamar's elusiveness within the pocket, he's turning into a very, very difficult QB to stop.

He was IMO the best QB prospect in his draft class and he seems to be developing faster/more than a lot of people expected of him.

41 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yep, I agree with that for the most part. My view of the QBs that bring a lot of running to the table has generally been that you still have to be able to pass (duh), but that if you're a very good runner, it increases your margin for error as a passer (i.e. the way it plays out in actuality is that it'll likely be easier to find holes in the defense due to the defense needing to expend more resources on stopping their running ability).

I'd say that this applies to guys that are the level of runner that Josh Allen is, but Lamar is in a completely different class in that regard. He's legitimately as good a runner as probably like a top 10ish RB and is also throwing the ball like an average starting QB. I'm sure a couple teams will be able to play him very tough defensively (New England comes to mind), but with Roman's running schemes, Lamar's vertical passing ability, and Lamar's elusiveness within the pocket, he's turning into a very, very difficult QB to stop.

He was IMO the best QB prospect in his draft class and he seems to be developing faster/more than a lot of people expected of him.

I thought Jackson was the second worst prospect (ahead of Rosen). He's totally proven me wrong. I don't know if he will be good long-term (meaning, can he stay healthy?) but he's going to win a lot of games. His running ability is other-worldly and that gives his WRs a lot of time to get open.  

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

Do you think Bridgewater inherits the job from Brees or goes elsewhere? 

I think if this is Brees' last year or two, then he's stupid to go elsewhere. If Brees is planning on playing five more years, then he's going where he can start.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I love watching Roman's run scheme and play design. It is as innovative as any offensive scheme in the NFL but when people hear innovative they think "passing" and it does Greg Roman a disservice. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll be watching tonight's game closely. If Jets pull it off I think they are legitimate playoff contenders for that 2nd WC considering their schedule the next 6 weeks or so.

I honestly agree.  I thought the Jets were a similar team to us heading into the year.  More flash, less depth/OL issues, but a similar trajectory.

I think they have a solid chance at winning tonight and should be in the WC mix as the season goes on. 

Probably a little too behind the 8 ball, but I give them a shot at making a run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I honestly agree.  I thought the Jets were a similar team to us heading into the year.  More flash, less depth/OL issues, but a similar trajectory.

I think they have a solid chance at winning tonight and should be in the WC mix as the season goes on. 

Probably a little too behind the 8 ball, but I give them a shot at making a run.

Same. I did not think there was much between us and them. I still think week 1 is our best win so far. They have a talented roster (more star driven, less depth and had injuries early) but less good coaching than us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I don't see them winning tonight, bit info think the game ends up close. I think they are too far behind in the standings to be a playoff threat, they are more likely to be a spoiler the rest of the way and end up 'in the Hunt' until the end of the year where they are still mathematically alive with some crazy scenarios needed to get in.

Week 7 in the books -  A quick thought / advanced look at week 8  (already ....  wow ... time flies in the NFL)  and 9

anywho...  I am impatient on this ....   The Browns at the Pats***** then The Pats at the Ravens

Will this serve as a measuring stick for either the Browns and Ravens?  

The Browns are an afterthought now, imo, based on the playoff expectations

The Ravens ... are they real?  Can they stand up to NE.