100 Greatest Players in NFL History (2 x Bills so far)

BigDingus

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure how longevity should factor in- if Sayers plays even as little as 8 years, he’s the greatest player in NFL history, no doubt. 

He and Bo Jackson are the two great “what if”s of NFL lore.

There's another significant what if: Ernie Davis.

9 hours ago, KayAdams said:

I don't know if it's laughable. When you only have 100 spots and are including every football position over 100 seasons, there are going to be some all-time greats left out.

I see 8 post-WW 2 RB's (Motley, Dorsett, Peterson, Campbell, Faulk, Tomlinson, OJ, Dickerson) already. There will be 4 more (Smith, Payton, Sanders, Brown). Was Thurman a top-10 all-time RB? No. More like mid-teens. Playing at the same time as Sanders and Smith didn't help his cause.

Well stated.  I still think Thurman is worthy and I would take him over several RB already on the list, including Sanders.  Gasp, yes I said it.  

15 hours ago, Rico said:

OJ #40

Tony friggin' Gonzalez #36 WTF

Dickerson ahead of OJ too. :lol:

Didn't read through all of the responses, but yeah, his killing aside, OJ absolutely should be in the top 10. Did any other RB ever go over 2000 yards in a 14 game season?

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure how longevity should factor in- if Sayers plays even as little as 8 years, he’s the greatest player in NFL history, no doubt. 

He and Bo Jackson are the two great “what if”s of NFL lore.

Gale Sayers WAS in the league for 5 healthy years and was in for 2 more injury seasons

And has 5k

He wouldn't be near any rushing records even if he played 5 more full seasons

His KR made him special

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

These top 100 are always controversial. Thurman deserves to be on this list. He is every bit as good as Dorsett and Peterson and far better than Franco Harris. 

I think they did a good job of including many linemen and defensive players.

I would not have Namath in my top 100 based on skill but if it is based on impact on the game he belongs.

I would not have Aikman, Franco Harris, Bradshaw, Peterson, JJ Watt, Mike Webster, or Marvin Harrison in the top 100. Maybe Tarkenton too, always thought he was overrated 

As far as rankings, Larry Allen and Steve Young are too low. And Sayers is top 100 but should be listed as 100 with an asterisk due to injury shortened career.

I'm sorry, I don't think Thurman was as good as Peterson. He's not a huge way off, but AP was better.

AP also had to carry his entire team, and did it in a passing era. And he put up insane numbers even though everyone's gameplan was stop AP.

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Well stated.  I still think Thurman is worthy and I would take him over several RB already on the list, including Sanders.  Gasp, yes I said it.  

Of course you and many Bills fans would put the best Bills QB over other all time greats... c'mon lol.