17 regular season games in new CBA being discussed.

BILLS55

35 minutes ago, ny33 said:
  • "I will get it right, and do whatever is necessary to accomplish that.
  • "We will continue to identify and add expertise to our team.
  • "Everyone will participate in educating sessions starting in the next month."

On point 3, they forgot “resistance is futile.”

22 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

1 per additional game per team seems like the most reasonable starting point?

Yes, but how many ‘double secret’ picks for NE?  I call it ‘Picks for Pats*’.  ?

EDIT:  I see how that can be interpreted two ways.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicharito said:

If a 17 game schedule is implemented I see every team playing a International game either in Mexico or London. It’s the only way to keep a fair balance of home field advantages.

Or they would just rotate what teams get the extra home game every year.

33 minutes ago, MJS said:

Or they would just rotate what teams get the extra home game every year.

If you did that prices would go up and down since additional game a year and I do not think league would like that.

It would be screwy for free agents too - do I take an offer from team with 8 home games this year or 9?

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Wont be long till its 18 :thumbsup:

You are likely right unless the idea of 16 total neutral site games takes off with fans and players. I would like the idea that the week before or after you neutral is a bye and one more throughout year. That takes regular season into mid January

4 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Dont need more games. 

Have 3 preseason games and add a second bye week. It would give us 1 more week of real football.

Also all 2 more wild card teams and have only 1 team in each conference get the get a bye week in the playoffs.  

If expanding playoffs I would prefer more teams with byes not less. If you add two per conference- 8 total seeds- the division winners all get byes but the wild card game winners get top two seeds and 3-4 play. I think a bye is worth more than home field.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are likely right unless the idea of 16 total neutral site games takes off with fans and players. I would like the idea that the week before or after you neutral is a bye and one more throughout year. That takes regular season into mid January

There definitely needs to be two bye weeks and also a 60 man roster, there are too many injuries that ruin your season the at extra players can alleviate. And all would be eligible to play and if someone is hurt you fill their spot from the practice squad.

The idea that a 45 man roster keeps the teams even is so outdated that it makes rotary phones seem more relevant. There are so many players out there today that every team can easily fill a roster, unlike the past.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If expanding playoffs I would prefer more teams with byes not less. If you add two per conference- 8 total seeds- the division winners all get byes but the wild card game winners get top two seeds and 3-4 play. I think a bye is worth more than home field.

I can see that... But I wouldnt like to see half the teams making the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

There definitely needs to be two bye weeks and also a 60 man roster, there are too many injuries that ruin your season the at extra players can alleviate. And all would be eligible to play and if someone is hurt you fill their spot from the practice squad.

The idea that a 45 man roster keeps the teams even is so outdated that it makes rotary phones seem more relevant. There are so many players out there today that every team can easily fill a roster, unlike the past.

Yes!!!   too much dicking around to play a practice squad in a week your banged up..

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

11 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

Lorenzo Alexander said on WGR550 that this has no chance of happening. Players will never agree to this. 

I hope not. Expand to 18 and nix two preseason games while keeping just a single bye week for each team. Maybe tweak the roster numbers. Otherwise keep it the same. One bye is bad enough. They tried 2 byes one year back in the 90’s and it lasted just that one season. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, still need two games teams are rusty as hell as it is, none would make it worse.

Plus some players are gamers and dont do as well in practice and teams need to find those guys out in preseason.

Yup, getting rid of preseason games will just make the first two or three regular season games into the practice games that preseason is there for.  

The league just wants more money, that is the only reason the more games issue is  raised at all. The end result is a watered down version of football. Hell, teams will just be playing players that normally couldn’t make any team, and we sure want to see those guys play... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, getting rid of preseason games will just make the first two or three regular season games into the practice games that preseason is there for.  

The league just wants more money, that is the only reason the more games issue is  raised at all. The end result is a watered down version of football. Hell, teams will just be playing players that normally couldn’t make any team, and we sure want to see those guys play... 

No it won’t, because that’s already happened. Training camp and practice limitations in the CBA led to that. Many teams are barely participating in the preseason as it is, with more likely to follow. The first and last preseason games are a joke currently and should be eliminated. 

Players are going down left and right this season, and they want a 17th game?  Brilliant.  Maybe some team will have to field a cheerleader by that point.  And no, removing preseason games doesn't help.  You cannot equate a preseason game to a regular one.

4 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Dont need more games. 

Have 3 preseason games and add a second bye week. It would give us 1 more week of real football.

A second bye week will never happen. This is a non-starter. The league already tried this a few years ago, and it failed miserably.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

There definitely needs to be two bye weeks and also a 60 man roster, there are too many injuries that ruin your season the at extra players can alleviate.

A second bye week is out of the question. See my post above.

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Who gets the extra home game?  

or will it be an international game? 

The league would rotate it each year, so a team has nine home games one year, and only eight the next.

6 hours ago, Chicharito said:

If a 17 game schedule is implemented I see every team playing a International game either in Mexico or London. It’s the only way to keep a fair balance of home field advantages.

There are lots of other ways.

Edited by egd

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Players are going down left and right this season, and they want a 17th game?  Brilliant.  Maybe some team will have to field a cheerleader by that point.  And no, removing preseason games doesn't help.  You cannot equate a preseason game to a regular one.

You can from the standpoint that the players are dressed for work that number of games, and therefore exposed to injury.  Players definitely get hurt in those games too, even though they don’t count in the standings. Now, 17 games makes no sense but 18 does. It will never happen if the preseason games are kept.