NFL Films: Bruce Smith & Von Miller (VIDEO)

BigDingus

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So apparently Von Miller's idol is Bruce Smith. This is a pretty cool little video with the two of them together. Really cool to see such a great player like Miller take inspiration from one of our greatest players.

Perhaps this is a good omen for the Bills. It would be great to have Miller finish his career in Buffalo. Right in the footsteps of his idol! Hey Beane, you watching this!

Edited by Rocket94

50 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

So apparently Von Miller's idol is Bruce Smith. This is a pretty cool little video with the two of them together. Really cool to see such a great player like Miller take inspiration from one of our greatest players.

This is Dope.  I enjoyed that tremendously.  Great find, Thank you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I never realized in Bruce’s playing days how intelligent he was. I just thought he was a freak athlete.  But cerebral player too? Had no idea

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I never realized in Bruce’s playing days how intelligent he was. I just thought he was a freak athlete.  But cerebral player too? Had no idea

Oh, yes! 

He said that in interviews.  He was obsessive about watching film, scrutinizing his opponents for any little "tell" that would let him predict what they'd do or key off them faster.  That was one of the two things he said he changed between his rookie season (where he was good, but not great or amazeballs) and his later career, and it's the thing that kept him effective as he lost a little bit. (the other thing was he swore he would never ever again let lack of physical condition or strength be a factor in his performance.  Rusty Jones got him going on stair climbers and he was legendary for rusting  them out - with sweat)

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, yes! 

He said that in interviews.  He was obsessive about watching film, scrutinizing his opponents for any little "tell" that would let him predict what they'd do or key off them faster.  That was one of the two things he said he changed between his rookie season (where he was good, but not great or amazeballs) and his later career, and it's the thing that kept him effective as he lost a little bit. (the other thing was he swore he would never ever again let lack of physical condition or strength be a factor in his performance.  Rusty Jones got him going on stair climbers and he was legendary for rusting  them out - with sweat)

What did they call Bruce early on? The snow plow. He was sometimes used in goal line rushing plays!

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, yes! 

I remember reading about him breaking stair climbers when he was coming back from some injury too...

i guess elite greatness takes it all

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...true but I doubt his tariff is in McBeane's wheelhouse.....

No, maybe not, but It makes me think of the Cornelius Bennett deal in 1987. Sure he was younger than Miller, but things took off after his arrival.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly Von is just going through the motions with Denver.

Dude has a solid 3-4 years left. He just needs to get that change of scenery to get that spark.

He would be a solid pickup at the right cost. Could be DE and play Lorax’s role really well.

Edited by CEN-CAL17

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Honestly Von is just going through the motions with Denver.

Dude has a solid 3-4 years left. He just needs to get that change of scenery to get that spark.

He would be a solid pickup at the right cost. Could be DE and play Lorax’s role really well.

I have this on my secret wish list.  But we would have to give them something that hurts a bit.

If Elway has come to terms with the fact that the Flacco experiment should be put to rest, but that no QB could function behind that OL, I wonder if we feel we have enough OL depth to send them an OLman and a pick for Von Miller.  It would be bold, though, and I'm not sure who we sacrifice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

That was great. New respect for Von for paying tribute to past greats. The fact that Bruce did all of that as a DE in a 3-4 is even more impressive.

I have never seen a defensive player take over a game like Bruce Smith. Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor come to mind as well.