HS Football Programs Going Too Far, right over a Cliff

Hapless Bills Fan

Or at least a program.  Cardinal Ritter Prep, St Louis MO.  Top-ranked small school in the nation per MaxPreps and #1 small school in MO.

I'll move this or close it if it bothers anyone here, it seemed appropriate because with the earnings and increased prominence of college football programs due to big cable contracts, of course the stakes for HS recruits go up.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/football/top-ranked-small-school-cardinal-ritter-may-have-used-ineligible/article_995ba3b6-ef7b-11e9-a8c2-8fcc2bc3877d.html

TL;DR

1) as a Jr, Ritter star RB Bill Jackson was ejected from the 4th Q of 2018 State Championship game and suspended 1 game to be served 2019

2) 2019, a player with his #4 was listed as inactive and sat on the bench during their first game.  a freshman, #24, played well in the game

3) Jackson has distinctive arm tattoos.  Guess what photos of #24 during that game showed?

Ritter has fired the entire coaching staff, their athletic director retired, and they cancelled the rest of their season.  So much for adults in a sports program demonstrating good values and good sportsmanship for the kiddos they coach.

Really sucks for the rest of the kids on that team, especially the Srs - though I suppose they all knew about it.

Actually, it's heartening to see the school take the logical and correct steps in canceling the season and canning the entire staff.  Anything short of that would have been flat out wrong.

And spare me the 'poor kids' nonsense that always accompanies these stories and is always used by those who want to limit culpability in these cases.  Those kids can all learn a valuable lesson about both the consequences of so blatantly breaking the rules, and, what happens when you are part of something you knew was wrong.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or at least a program.  Cardinal Ritter Prep, St Louis MO.  Top-ranked small school in the nation per MaxPreps and #1 small school in MO.

I'll move this or close it if it bothers anyone here, it seemed appropriate because with the earnings and increased prominence of college football programs due to big cable contracts, of course the stakes for HS recruits go up.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/football/top-ranked-small-school-cardinal-ritter-may-have-used-ineligible/article_995ba3b6-ef7b-11e9-a8c2-8fcc2bc3877d.html

TL;DR

1) as a Jr, Ritter star RB Bill Jackson was ejected from the 4th Q of 2018 State Championship game and suspended 1 game to be served 2019

2) 2019, a player with his #4 was listed as inactive and sat on the bench during their first game.  a freshman, #24, played well in the game

3) Jackson has distinctive arm tattoos.  Guess what photos of #24 during that game showed?

Ritter has fired the entire coaching staff, their athletic director retired, and they cancelled the rest of their season.  So much for adults in a sports program demonstrating good values and good sportsmanship for the kiddos they coach.

Really sucks for the rest of the kids on that team, especially the Srs - though I suppose they all knew about it.

It's crazy hapless... Because I have seen this before

Not the ban hammer tho. Good for the school

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

No one had a long sleeve shirt?

I know, Right?  Or compression sleeves? 

It's like a parody of the Marv Levy saying "Don't be Dirty, Don't be Dumb": "If you're Gonna be Dirty, Don't be Dumb"

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kids new what was going on.  None of them stood up?  Yeah, and they will stand up in a boardroom ten years from now.

Ban all the kids.  They knew what was going on.

The kids on the other team were from out of the area (St Louis team playing up near Chicago) so didn't know.

The kids on that team had to know.  And effectively, they are all banned now because the school cancelled the program.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.