The Bills Projected Salary Cap and Draft Capital in 2020

14 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Must signings:

LB Lorenzo Alexander - 1 year cap friendly deal

DT Jordan Phillips

OL Quentin Spain

CB Levi Wallace 

2020 Free Agents:

CB Tre’Davious White*  - 5th year option but try to get a deal done - will save on cap space and not risk him getting to free agency

LB Matt Milano 
OL Dion Dawkins - try to extend ahead of time 

S   Jordan Poyer - try to extend ahead of time

OG Jon Feliciano

Would like to resign:

DE Shaq Lawson

RB Frank Gore

CB Kevin Johnson

WR Isaiah McKenzie

2020 Free Agents:

DL Trent Murphy

S   Jordan Poyer

OT Ty Nsheke

OG Jon Feliciano

The guy that I disagree with most with on that list is Milano. If he wants big money, let him walk. He's great but I have little faith in him completing 16-game seasons. Johnson and McKenzie are "meh" resignings. Shaq is only worth it for a fair contract. Gore I love but again only for the right $$. 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...many of the TBD collegiate experts have said 2020 WR class is the "best in years"......just a hunch that McBeane goes the draft route......

Probably better that way...the draft route. Alot of these Wr's are more pro ready these days. Far better option than trading valuable draft picks for aging stars in their twilight.

14 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Probably better that way...the draft route. Alot of these Wr's are more pro ready these days. Far better option than trading valuable draft picks for aging stars in their twilight.

...I'm probably an old fart ruse, but I see McBeane as a "committed to building through the draft" type....harken back to the Steelers (an ok organization, right?) 2009 SB club....19 of their 22 starters were acquired through the draft.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm probably an old fart ruse, but I see McBeane as a "committed to building through the draft" type....harken back to the Steelers (an ok organization, right?) 2009 SB club....19 of their 22 starters were acquired through the draft.....

I like that way of thinking, especially after the results we are beginning to see. I have returned in favor of the draft route as well, though I still like a few strategic FA moves if they are absolutely right on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane is building the roster wisely - signing us some good pieces at reasonable prices for short terms, preparing, I would assume, to preserve cap so he can lock up some of our young core that he drafted (White, Allen, Edmunds, Milano). It is clear he values the center position highly, as Wood was extended for a fairly large sum and then we went out and signed Morse this offseason. Will be interesting to see what he does with the rest of the OL cap-wise. 

I think they are going to target DE and WR in the draft. I don't know the full list of pending FA's but I don't really see them making any splash signings unless there is a surprise cut. You've got Von Miller, Clowney and Fowler possibly on the market. Do you go after any of those guys? 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Big C said:

Beane is building the roster wisely - signing us some good pieces at reasonable prices for short terms, preparing, I would assume, to preserve cap so he can lock up some of our young core that he drafted (White, Allen, Edmunds, Milano). It is clear he values the center position highly, as Wood was extended for a fairly large sum and then we went out and signed Morse this offseason. Will be interesting to see what he does with the rest of the OL cap-wise. 

I think they are going to target DE and WR in the draft. I don't know the full list of pending FA's but I don't really see them making any splash signings unless there is a surprise cut. You've got Von Miller, Clowney and Fowler possibly on the market. Do you go after any of those guys? 

....and I think he's hell bent on keeping his own who are worthy and home grown developed....strictly opinion.....

If the season ended today I am signing Shaq if it is at or lower than Trent Murphy money (7 million).

if someone is stupid with him at 10 million, no way.

however, mid 20s, can cover the run and is showing just a bit at rushing the qb.  Yeah, I’m thinking that is a pretty good rotational/starter player.

i don’t think philips is going to blow up from here on out, meaning I don’t think he is going to finish the season with 10 sacks or so, so I hope to sign him in the same range.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I assume White will get his Fifth year tender.    Poyer, Milano and Dawkins would need to get paid,  especially Poyer...He has been one of the best safeties in the NFL.

Not only his play but the chemistry he has with Hyde causes offenses fits and is something you can't put a price tag on. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Big C said:

Yes, it seems to be leaning that way. There is only so much talent available at one time, and the Bills had to shore up the OL first and get Allen some support first. I see the Bills going DE/WR in the early rounds...unless of course Beane supplements FA' in the mix.

Edited by Rocket94

5 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes, it seems to be leaning that way. There is only so much talent available at one time, and the Bills had to shore up the OL first and get Allen some support first. I see the Bills going DE/WR in the early rounds...unless if course Beane supplements FA' in the mix.

...strictly my usual "old fart yap", but I see McBeane being a FA player in the "mid market sanity" route versus the "top tier absurdity" route.....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly my usual "old fart yap", but I see McBeane being a FA player in the "mid market sanity" route versus the "top tier absurdity" route.....

Yeah...he has a good eye for the mid tier guys. Once they arrive in Buffalo, they become a little more than mid tier. Von Miller is mid tier...bring him in for a tryout! lol!

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm guessing they let Spain walk and move Feliciano or Ford to LG while looking for an upgrade at RT via FA or draft. 

WR is their biggest need, IMO. Hoping they bring a good one in via FA AND the draft. 

Most likely going to need to replace Zo at LB as he is starting to get up there in age and probably is not going to be able to reproduce this year's production again....then again that's what we said the previous 2 years lol

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Now that I think about it I really wish they could find a way to keep Spain I don’t know if that will be possible

Really John? Spain? He was on the market for a LONG time before the Bills signed him to a one year deal. He's an OK guard, but nothing special. Feliciano was the score at OL in the offseason. They have 84 million dollars in cap space. They have virtually no constraints. I think they can afford to keep Spain if they choose to do so.

It would be helpful if the list differentiated UFA'S from RFA's. Levi Wallace will get a bump. He's an RFA though, which is entirely different. 

The bottom line is that the Bills will have all the resources available to sign their own AND make a couple of splash signings in the 2019 offseason. DE should be the number 1 target. I'd prefer to go WR in the draft, but we'll see how that shakes out. 

Beane has the right approach for Buffalo in terms of building through the draft, but there's no reason to get overly stingy with those resources. They're in really good shape as even the top players aren't ELITE. Poyer will get a nice contract, but he'll be a slightly older SAFETY. I love Milano, but I don't think he's looking at a massive payday. Even White may struggle to find a MASSIVE payday given the fact that he isn't putting up INT numbers. Edmunds is likely to get paid because he's gonna work out whether that be inside or outside if push comes to shove. He's an ELITE athlete. There's no way to know what's gonna happen with Allen, but that's a couple years down the line. 

They're winning the cap war, so no concerns.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Really John? Spain? He was on the market for a LONG time before the Bills signed him to a one year deal. He's an OK guard, but nothing special. Feliciano was the score at OL in the offseason. They have 84 million dollars in cap space. They have virtually no constraints. I think they can afford to keep Spain if they choose to do so.

It would be helpful if the list differentiated UFA'S from RFA's. Levi Wallace will get a bump. He's an RFA though, which is entirely different. 

The bottom line is that the Bills will have all the resources available to sign their own AND make a couple of splash signings in the 2019 offseason. DE should be the number 1 target. I'd prefer to go WR in the draft, but we'll see how that shakes out. 

Beane has the right approach for Buffalo in terms of building through the draft, but there's no reason to get overly stingy with those resources. They're in really good shape as even the top players aren't ELITE. Poyer will get a nice contract, but he'll be a slightly older SAFETY. I love Milano, but I don't think he's looking at a massive payday. Even White may struggle to find a MASSIVE payday given the fact that he isn't putting up INT numbers. Edmunds is likely to get paid because he's gonna work out whether that be inside or outside if push comes to shove. He's an ELITE athlete. There's no way to know what's gonna happen with Allen, but that's a couple years down the line. 

They're winning the cap war, so no concerns.

We will have to see how it plays out

at least beans has us in a good cap situation to make it all work

i think Spain is better then you are giving him credit for I have no idea why he was on the market for us good ol are sooo hard to find

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We will have to see how it plays out

at least beans has us in a good cap situation to make it all work

i think Spain is better then you are giving him credit for I have no idea why he was on the market for us good ol are sooo hard to find

I agree with you John...I thought Spain had a solid showing against the Titans.. not sure why he doesn’t seem to  get a lot of love here..

I think people assume you can have a superstar at every position..Yes..Let’s see how it plays out through the rest of the year but at the moment I hope they make Spain an offer..

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Spains probably their best lineman.... problem is he is a Guard, and so is Ford despite us playing him at RT. We have a surplus of starting Guards but are in need of a decent starting RT.... which is why I feel they let him walk.

A surplus of starting Guards is not necessarily a bad thing... Morse has issues as we know, and if anything happens to him you move Feliciano to C and suddenly no more surplus of Guards..

Let’s see how much Spain costs... at the moment they are paying Long double to be his backup..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Spains probably their best lineman.... problem is he is a Guard, and so is Ford despite us playing him at RT. We have a surplus of starting Guards but are in need of a decent starting RT.... which is why I feel they let him walk.

Their best?  I don’t think so.  He might be 4th best when Ford is in the lineup.  From what I’ve seen it goes:

1. Morse

2. Dawkins

3. Feliciano

4. Nyseke

5. Spain

6. Ford