The Bills Projected Salary Cap and Draft Capital in 2020

I was checking around to see what cap space the Bills have next year and beyond and I think that things are definitely trending in the right direction.  Here’s what’s out there from overthecap.com

2020 Projected Salary Cap

$84 Million (4th Highest)

2020 draft picks:

1- Own pick

2- Own pick

3- Own pick

4- Own pick

5- Own pick

5- From Cleveland Browns (Teller trade)

6- Own pick

6- From Browns (Teller trade)

6- From New England Patriots via Baltimore Ravens (Bodine trade)

2019 Free Agents:
LB Lorenzo Alexander

DT Jordan Phillips

DE Shaq Lawson

OL Quentin Spain

RB Frank Gore

CB Kevin Johnson

S    Dean Marlowe

S    Kurt Coleman

WR Isaiah McKenzie

WR Robert Foster

LB Julian Sanford

RB Seniorise Perry

CB Levi Wallace

2020 Free Agents:

CB Tre’Davious White*

LB Matt Milano
OL Dion Dawkins

DL Trent Murphy

S   Jordan Poyer

OT Ty Nsheke

OG Jon Feliciano

FB Patrick DiMarco

WR Andre Roberts

QB Matt Barkley

RB TJ Yeldon

Based on these numbers, I would guess that a portion of this years cap space will be spent resigning their own FA’s - I’m thinking they make Matt Milano and Dion Dawkins a top priority.  You have to think they find money to resign Tre too.  If they want to keep Lawson, they can.  They just have to factor in a comp pick if he does walk away.  

Also I think it shows the team needs to get a lot younger on the offensive and defensive lines.  

Any other thoughts after seeing this info?

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Didn't Alexander announce he's retiring after this year?  The 2019 list doesn't have too many you need to sign.  Phillips, Wallace, and Lawson would be the two top needs, though not certain Lawson will agree to deal here.

2020 list has at least 5 I'd want to  resign Milano, Dawkins, White, Poyer, and Feliciano

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Didn't Alexander announce he's retiring after this year?  The 2019 list doesn't have too many you need to sign.  Phillips, Wallace, and Lawson would be the two top needs, though not certain Lawson will agree to deal here.

2020 list has at least 5 I'd want to  resign Milano, Dawkins, White, Poyer, and Feliciano

I do think that Wallace and Foster are exclusive rights FA’s, though I believe Phillips is a true FA

I see about a dozen impending FA's I'd like to keep and about half as many I'd like even more from my short list. The rest can easily be replaced. Lorenzo and Gore maybe. Who knows if they will stay, go or retire? They're definitely playing well right now though

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Shaq can very easily be replaced. Even now when he's supposed to be playing better, he can't even beat out Murphy for a starting job. I'd rather see us draft or sign a replacement. 

29 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Shaq can very easily be replaced. Even now when he's supposed to be playing better, he can't even beat out Murphy for a starting job. I'd rather see us draft or sign a replacement. 

They also should get a 4th round comp pick for him, which means you could see the Bills package number of picks in rounds 4-6 to move up to the 2nd or 3rd round. 

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I assume White will get his Fifth year tender.    Poyer, Milano and Dawkins would need to get paid,  especially Poyer...He has been one of the best safeties in the NFL.

A good portion of our money will go to signing/extending our own guys, but there will still be money for a big FA signing and it’s almost a certainty that we use some of those picks to help facilitate moving around the draft.  

I think theres a lot of obvious guys on that list that we’ll get locked up but Spain and Shaq are interesting.  Both are solid players but Ford probably needs to go to his more natural position of G and Feliciano isn’t going anywhere - Shaq is a guy who will probably get overpay offers from other teams. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was checking around to see what cap space the Bills have next year and beyond and I think that things are definitely trending in the right direction.  Here’s what’s out there from overthecap.com

2020 Projected Salary Cap

$84 Million (4th Highest)

2020 draft picks:

1- Own pick

2- Own pick

3- Own pick

4- Own pick

5- Own pick

5- From Cleveland Browns (Teller trade)

6- Own pick

6- From Browns (Teller trade)

6- From New England Patriots via Baltimore Ravens (Bodine trade)

2019 Free Agents:
LB Lorenzo Alexander

DT Jordan Phillips

DE Shaq Lawson

OL Quentin Spain

RB Frank Gore

CB Kevin Johnson

S    Dean Marlowe

S    Kurt Coleman

WR Isaiah McKenzie

WR Robert Foster

LB Julian Sanford

RB Seniorise Perry

CB Levi Wallace

2020 Free Agents:

CB Tre’Davious White*

LB Matt Milano
OL Dion Dawkins

DL Trent Murphy

S   Jordan Poyer

OT Ty Nsheke

OG Jon Feliciano

FB Patrick DiMarco

WR Andre Roberts

QB Matt Barkley

RB TJ Yeldon

Based on these numbers, I would guess that a portion of this years cap space will be spent resigning their own FA’s - I’m thinking they make Matt Milano and Dion Dawkins a top priority.  You have to think they find money to resign Tre too.  If they want to keep Lawson, they can.  They just have to factor in a comp pick if he does walk away.  

Also I think it shows the team needs to get a lot younger on the offensive and defensive lines.  

Any other thoughts after seeing this info?

Tre White would be a 5th year option for 2021 that the Bills could pick up since he is a 1st round pick.

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I thought all op did was poll threads

Yep. I’m guessing he’s got Yolo tied up in his cellar while stealing all his computer insights. PhillyWhitesnuze hasn’t shown a capacity to create quality threads in any of his incarnations.

Somethings amiss.

• Haha (+1) 2