Question for the Liberals/Progressives on the Forum

Foxx

something that has been bothering me and in the back of my mind for some time now.

i am curious do you guys/gals ( @Tiberius, @Bob in Mich, @ALF, @Gary Busey, (@John Adams, @Benjamin Franklin, @BeginnersMind), @Crayola64, @ExiledInIllinois, @transplantbillsfan etc... apologies to anyone i may have missed, 'twas not intended) read the sourced materials/articles here? or do you get your information elsewhere and just assume that anything posted here is mainly partisan hogwash, so you omit it from your information gathering? if it is the latter, do you read/watch/gather sourced material that is outside of your biases?

yes, yes i know that twitter is the end of the universe. however, many of them contain links to sourced material.

just an honest question, i am curious.

TYIA for your responses.

:beer:

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Foxx said:

something that has been bothering me and in the back of my mind for some time now.

i am curious do you guys/gals ( @Tiberius, @Bob in Mich, @ALF, @Gary Busey, (@John Adams, @Benjamin Franklin, @BeginnersMind), @Crayola64, @ExiledInIllinois, @transplantbillsfan etc... apologies to anyone i may have missed, 'twas not intended) read the sourced materials/articles here? or do you get your information elsewhere and just assume that anything posted here is mainly partisan hogwash, so you omit it from your information gathering? if it is the latter, do you read/watch/gather sourced material that is outside of your biases?

yes, yes i know that twitter is the end of the universe. however, many of them contain links to sourced material.

TYIA for your responses.

Its the PPP squad ...which one is the aoc of the bunch

• Haha (+1) 1

Guess I'll be the first of your call-outs to answer and just assume you aren't trolling but are asking a legitimate question you want answered for curiosity's sake.  And I'm answering because with all the little quips you've given me over the years, I mostly respect you:

So, when I see anyone post "sourced" material that's clearly sourced material, yes I try to read it.  I especially did so when I first stated lurking over here.  I say try to because I don't spend very much time in this sub-forum.  The last couple weeks I was here mainly because it was the bye week and it's always entertaining to come in and see responses when the debates come on.

But a lot of the "sourced" material, as you say yourself, is embedded or buried in otherwise clearly partisan bullcrap.  I'm not sifting through that crap.

I'm what you guys would absolutely call liberal, but I'm not as far left as some of the party is.  I'm not the biggest fan of Warren or Sanders, largely because I think they're taking things too far left with their Medicare for All plans.  And I will acknowledge that if Warren wins the nomination (I think Sanders is done, even if he hasn't conceded), I will be just a bit less confident in my current bet about the 2020 Presidential Race with @Deranged Rhino.

Regardless, yes, I'm left.  But I read as much as I can (with as often little time as I have) from both sides.  Plenty of Trump supporters in my family, though, including my older sister and her husband and my younger sister's husband.  My father-in-law, step-father-in-law, and mother-in-law are all hardcore Trump supporters along with my former brother-in-law, now divorced from my wife's sister.  

I'm able to have conversations with my sister, all my brother-in-laws and my step-father-in-law about politics.  We talk and even will look things up together and have serious, sometimes heated conversations.  And I still love all of them.

There's a reason I've called this place toxic.  It's very much not a place full of much open dialogue, with a handful of great posters that I've referenced in the past.

But here's my consistent issue, getting back to your original question: so much of even the "sourced material" provided in this sub-forum is cherry-picked, provided without clear and objective context, which is more middle than the far right this place leans.

The problem on all sides in this place is that it's really just about winning rhetorical arguments rather than taking whole picture, overarching looks at some of these issues.  Then you have the handful of posters just trolling others and throwing out one-liner insults at others.  What's the point?  What are you accomplishing?

I guess I'd turn the question back on those here, as well.  Just the other day in another thread I was having a dialogue with a few others, brought up some facts after researching multiple sources for triangulation's sake in order to verify it, and admittedly didn't post all the links, largely because of the multiple places I went, time, and this just isn't the real world in here and I anticipated pretty much exactly what you're asking in the OP of the posters I was talking to.  Plus the information was easily accessible.

Once I was accused of not providing sources in an Ad Hominem attack, I provided the most obvious and reliable one as a starting point. 

But the truth is, I was just being trolled because the jackass poster didn't even address the issue.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

TYIA for your responses.

:beer:i figured they were the same person just paying children's games

Edited by Chris farley

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Guess I'll be the first of your call-outs to answer and just assume you aren't trolling but are asking a legitimate question you want answered for curiosity's sake.  And I'm answering because with all the little quips you've given me over the years, I mostly respect you:

So, when I see anyone post "sourced" material that's clearly sourced material, yes I try to read it.  I especially did so when I first stated lurking over here.  I say try to because I don't spend very much time in this sub-forum.  The last couple weeks I was here mainly because it was the bye week and it's always entertaining to come in and see responses when the debates come on.

But a lot of the "sourced" material, as you say yourself, is embedded or buried in otherwise clearly partisan bullcrap.  I'm not sifting through that crap.

I'm what you guys would absolutely call liberal, but I'm not as far left as some of the party is.  I'm not the biggest fan of Warren or Sanders, largely because I think they're taking things too far left with their Medicare for All plans.  And I will acknowledge that if Warren wins the nomination (I think Sanders is done, even if he hasn't conceded), I will be just a bit less confident in my current bet about the 2020 Presidential Race with @Deranged Rhino.

Regardless, yes, I'm left.  But I read as much as I can (with as often little time as I have) from both sides.  Plenty of Trump supporters in my family, though, including my older sister and her husband and my younger sister's husband.  My father-in-law, step-father-in-law, and mother-in-law are all hardcore Trump supporters along with my former brother-in-law, now divorced from my wife's sister.  

I'm able to have conversations with my sister, all my brother-in-laws and my step-father-in-law about politics.  We talk and even will look things up together and have serious, sometimes heated conversations.  And I still love all of them.

There's a reason I've called this place toxic.  It's very much not a place full of much open dialogue, with a handful of great posters that I've referenced in the past.

But here's my consistent issue, getting back to your original question: so much of even the "sourced material" provided in this sub-forum is cherry-picked, provided without clear and objective context, which is more middle than the far right this place leans.

The problem on all sides in this place is that it's really just about winning rhetorical arguments rather than taking whole picture, overarching looks at some of these issues.  Then you have the handful of posters just trolling others and throwing out one-liner insults at others.  What's the point?  What are you accomplishing?

I guess I'd turn the question back on those here, as well.  Just the other day in another thread I was having a dialogue with a few others, brought up some facts after researching multiple sources for triangulation's sake in order to verify it, and admittedly didn't post all the links, largely because of the multiple places I went, time, and this just isn't the real world in here and I anticipated pretty much exactly what you're asking in the OP of the posters I was talking to.  Plus the information was easily accessible.

Once I was accused of not providing sources in an Ad Hominem attack, I provided the most obvious and reliable one as a starting point. 

But the truth is, I was just being trolled because the jackass poster didn't even address the issue.

You still don't get it do you? Don't try to post factual type things here without a link. All you ever did was move the goalposts and declare yourself the winner. I suggest that you leave this "toxic" place and fvck off.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

TYIA for your responses.

Thanks.  I missed a few for my ignore list.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

You still don't get it do you? Don't try to post factual type things here without a link. All you ever did was move the goalposts and declare yourself the winner. I suggest that you leave this "toxic" place and fvck off.

I suggest you learn to research the easy-to-find pretty common knowledge stuff on the Internet.

I never moved the goalposts. My argument was consistent and I then even provided you with one of the EASY TO FIND AND OBVIOUS LINKS to support it and you just went on with your jackass trollin self.

As far as not providing a link initially. Sorry, one isn't required to cite a source when it's common knowledge. 

And frankly, what I was arguing was pretty common knowledge if you weren't so damn blind red.

Unfortunately in Trump's world of alternative facts common knowledge isn't even common knowledge to some of you, which forces some of us to triangulate and confirm things that are pretty obvious and widely known.

And down the rabbit hole it takes you.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

How can you be a teacher when you don't read, comprehend or learn anything? This started with someone posting the four democrats with the leading donations in the last month. I stated that Trump beat the four of them combined. You then went on a mission to change the parameters and prove me wrong based on your new contention. You continued to voice opinions to other posters without providing links. I told you that you needed to provide links and you told me to find them myself and eventually you provided a link to information that had nothing to do with the original premise. So, this all makes you an idiot, not worthy of receiving my attention.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I see none of the others called out in the OP have decided to partake in this thread, which is just turning into the troll-fest I expected it would be... 

can't say I blame them

Gee, do all your threads turn into troll fests?

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

How can you be a teacher when you don't read, comprehend or learn anything? This started with someone posting the four democrats with the leading donations in the last month. I stated that Trump beat the four of them combined. You then went on a mission to change the parameters and prove me wrong based on your new contention. You continued to voice opinions to other posters without providing links. I told you that you needed to provide links and you told me to find them myself and eventually you provided a link to information that had nothing to do with the original premise. So, this all makes you an idiot, not worthy of receiving my attention.

And yet you continue to give me that attention, anyway.

Hell, you followed me into this thread and have at this point already derailed what I believe was a well-intentioned question to "the other side."

So congrats on that.

The broader conversation was CLEARLY about "how much more enthusiastic Trump voters are as another example for why he wins!!!" And you jumped in with your statement about the top 4 candidates fundraising not even being in the same ball park as though it was a confirmation of less Democratic enthusiasm--and it would be absolutely disingenuous of you to say that you didn't mean that--except that argument entirely misses the mark in a field of 20 something Democrats. That was pretty clearly what I was disputing. And then in a pitiful effort to deflect, you claim I need to link the pretty obvious stuff I just brought up.

So, this all just makes you intellectually dishonest, as another poster would put it. I won't call you the name you called me, clearly you're just projecting.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I see none of the others called out in the OP have decided to partake in this thread, which is just turning into the troll-fest I expected it would be... 

can't say I blame them

I don't think Tibs is paid to work on weekends. He'll get to the thread once OT is approved. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1