Kelechi osemele injury situation - very bad look for the Jets (update: Cut)

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So the Jets are pushing the narcotics on him to play and fining him for conduct detrimental because he can’t play through the pain? Damn 

A bit of a nit, but actually Toradol is not a narcotic.  It's a strong prescription-only NSAID. 

It is used a lot in NFL locker rooms because it's not an opioid and not potentially addicting, but it can have serious, even fatal side effects including severe GI bleeding or ulcers, kidney and liver disease.  It's not supposed to be used for chronic pain (eg recurrently every week) but in the NFL it is.  A lot of guys on the lines reportedly wind up getting steroid injections and toradol simultaneously (source: retired NFL player), and they're contraindicated to use together.

It's not uncommon for players and teams to have disagreements about whether and when to shut things down vs. tough it out.  The Bengals have one going on with Cordy Glenn, who ought by rights to be the starting LT on the team; there were mutterings about Sammy Watkins with the Bills.  See a pattern there - it's usually a starter, a guy who was counted on as a key piece.  And it usually doesn't end happily - has being publically shamed as a p**** for not toughing it out ever made a star player more motivated to buy in and "give his all" ? 

Especially where it's reported they planned to bench this guy anyway, it's really weird to air it out in public this loudly.   Also it seems kind of sketchy wrt HIPPA for the team to leak info on the guy's medical record.  I don't get what the Jets believe they're accomplishing here.  If he's JAG and you're planning to bench him anyway, stick him on IR and let him go.

This o-lineman should go visit Jalen Ramsey’s doctor. Apparently, Jalen has had a very bad back for two weeks and, upon being traded, he feels well enough to start this week for the Rams. 

This league is going down the drain. Bye bye NFL. The players are biting the hand that feeds them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Toradol is not a narcotic. 

I edited it to say painkillers. Apparently the agent was wrong. At least to me though it’s not different. The shoulder pain isn’t allowing him to play. But I don’t get why they won’t let him just have the surgery - apparently they don’t even want him to play. The story is they want Alex lewis to play. 

Makes me wonder though about taron Johnson. He reportedly hurt his shoulder week 1 last year. He continued to play all year until they were out of playoff contention, and then immediately he went on IR and had surgery. You could tell he was playing through the labrum tear. Zay did something similar his rookie year. Guess the player has to be on board. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I had a total shoulder joint replacement done at HSS by Dr Russell Warren - the Giants team physician. The only other Orthopaedic Surgeon I would want to have an opinion by would be Dr. Andrews in Atlanta. 

***** the Jests and their ***** organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I edited it to say painkillers. Apparently the agent was wrong. At least to me though it’s not different. The shoulder pain isn’t allowing him to play. But I don’t get why they won’t let him just have the surgery - apparently they don’t even want him to play. The story is they want Alex lewis to play. 

Makes me wonder though about taron Johnson. He reportedly hurt his shoulder week 1 last year. He continued to play all year until they were out of playoff contention, and then immediately he went on IR and had surgery. You could tell he was playing through the labrum tear. Zay did something similar his rookie year. Guess the player has to be on board. 

the things we’ve gotten used to as normal and often expect from players can be really terrible sometimes. 

that said, not every guy is on the up and up. This situation feels like it could be either or both sides being awful. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, exactly.  Several retired players have spoken or written about what goes on in NFL locker rooms - the "gladiator mindset", all the guys getting injections before the game.  When a player gets dinged, gimps into the locker room, and trots back into the game a bit later, it's a pretty good bet that a toradol injection was involved, sometimes a numbing agent.  But the player is on board.

Several things about this mystify me, but the #1 thing is why the Jets are making such an issue of it?  If the guy is not on board, says he's in too much pain to play effectively even with injections, WHY DO THEY WANT HIM TO TRY?  So much of athletic performance is up between the ears.  If an athlete, any athlete at the top level doesn't really really want it, he's simply not going to be effective. 

And this guy, according to the Jets claim, was due to be benched.  Let him go!  Build some good will in the locker room and with FA as an organization that takes care of its players and cares about them.   Why would they want a potentially ineffective player one missed block away from taking out their starting QB if the starting guard goes out?

Good piece by Mehta, though he is a known vocal critic of the Jets organization

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-kelechi-osemele-shoulder-surgery-20191018-lld6tvecwnep3folyvvu67bimu-story.html

Key points:

" Regardless of whether Osemele was motivated to have surgery now versus later because of his place on the depth chart, the bottom line is he’s in pain. Who are the Jets — or any team — to determine whether a player is in enough pain to have surgery? Everyone’s pain tolerance is different."

"What do the Jets gain by taking this approach? They look like a poorly run outfit with a laughably amateurish PR strategy to boot.I’m sure free agents will be knocking down the door to join this organization now. Come to the Jets, where we’ll determine how much pain you can tolerate!  Osemele took pain medication before every game, but that’s evidently irrelevant to the Jets. The team might as well have a new motto plastered across their walls: You’ll take your pain medication like a good soldier and play when you’re told… or else. It’s appalling on myriad levels."

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

If that’s true, the Jest may have exposed themselves to all sorts of liabilities. 

I thought the Jets brought in a decent GM in Joe Douglas who came in after Adam Gase and Greg Williams were installed, but he has a head coach and a defensive coach who are both liabilities and disastrous distractions with titanic egos.

He needs to do himself a favor and clean house before one or both of those idiots manage to destroy everything he is trying to build.

Or Joe could keep both those guys around and we will get to dance around that Jersey dumpster fire for many years to come. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

None of this is surprising...shady stuff happens when lots of money is involved.

Yes indeed. It happens with coaches/trainers (in this instance maybe) and players (Dareus, Jalen Ramsey, Jairus Byrd, Legarrette Blount). It’s the “cry wolf” effect - so many players use an alleged injury to get released/traded to a team that “respects them” (a/k/a $$$), you don’t know who to believe anymore. 

It looks like the internal dynamics of the Bills are shining on this issue.  The Bills O needs Devin Singletary, and he's been close to being OK for a few weeks now.  Instead of bringing him back before they were sure he was completely healed, they gave him more time.  The O struggled against the Titans' D, and Singletary could have really helped.  The Bills could have lost that game, which would have made their entire season a lot shakier.  But the Bills did the right thing.  

Taron Johnson played through an injury last year until the Bills were out of playoff contention, and then went on IR for surgery.  I don't think the Bills forced him to play with the injury.  

Players around the league will see all that, that the Bills didn't screw around with Singletary's career and even took a chance on losing a key game by letting him heal.  Also that a player chose to play with pain for McDermott, as long as it made sense to do it.  

• Like (+1) 1