Sign in to follow this  
Chandler#81

8 years ago we lost the anchor, Kent Hull.

https://buffalonews.com/2011/10/19/bills-great-kent-hull-is-dead-at-age-50/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=puma&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1570742036

Just 50 years old! He came to the Bills on the same day as Kelly and retired at the same time as USFL castoffs. I recall Kelly speaking early in ‘86, saying everything he’d heard about the Bills seemed to be incorrect, specifically the OL & WRs. The OL had Kent as immediate starter at Center with Ritcher and Ken Jones returning. 

I’m glad to hear Kent is being considered for the HOF in this one-time enormous inductee class coming up. With just 3 PBs, it’s a long shot, but probably his last chance to get the credit we who were there know he deserves.

A humble, gracious & generous person, he was our best Center ever. 

Rest In Peace, Kent. You are missed!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 8

Respect. Definitely one of the all-timers at his position, who Jim K often credited with the stability of the blocking up front during his era. Gone too soon, may he RIP.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

RIP, Hull.

• Sad 1

Excellent player, never got the recogition he deserved with all the other stars on the team

A border line HOF player IMO.

Edited by Just Joshin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

During the offseason, one of the big topics about the free agent acquisitions was which one would make the most impact to the Bills.  My opinion then was that it would be Mitch Morse because last year's poor o-line needed upgrades and a this year's line would need a leader, much like Kent was for the Bills in his playing days.  This may be coming true but, honestly, there were so many great free agent additions to this year's team that it would be tough to single one out.  I wonder if Beane or McDermott could do that at this point.

Anyways, Kent's son replied to my comment because he liked how I described his dad.  Pick your metaphor, rock, anchor, pillar whatever.  Quiet Southern farmboy demeanor, he represented Mississippi and the Bills very well. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

RIP Kent Hull.  

I believe he was a member here at TBD and posted from time to time.

• Like (+1) 2

One of my all time favorite players.   After refraining from purchasing jerseys for many years, I finally ordered a Kent Hull jersey. It is my game day attire for every game this season.  So far so good...

• Awesome! (+1) 4

RIP

My dad's favorite player from those Super Bowl years.

Looking forward to wearing my new Hull shirt for the game on Sunday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I used to have hockey tix behind his in old Aud.  He and House Ballard went often along with Wolford.  Always made sure to say hello to my daughter who was 3 or 4 at the time. She thought they were real live giants.  He was a true leader, strong silent type.  Great guy. And a great memory.  

Edited by freddyjj
grammar
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

may he continue to r.i.p

These are fabulous! Thank you for sharing DBFS73!

• Thanks! (+1) 1

It's amazing to think about, when you watch the video of the Kelly parade when he finally came to Buffalo, that Kent was there in a utility van following behind unknown to everyone there and watching on TV. We ended up getting two all-time greats that day.

RIP, Mr. Hull

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I believe he was a member here at TBD and posted from time to time.

His son is very active on Twitter @drewhull13

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

https://buffalonews.com/2011/10/19/bills-great-kent-hull-is-dead-at-age-50/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=puma&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1570742036

Just 50 years old! He came to the Bills on the same day as Kelly and retired at the same time as USFL castoffs. I recall Kelly speaking early in ‘86, saying everything he’d heard about the Bills seemed to be incorrect, specifically the OL & WRs. The OL had Kent as immediate starter at Center with Ritcher and Ken Jones returning. 

I’m glad to hear Kent is being considered for the HOF in this one-time enormous inductee class coming up. With just 3 PBs, it’s a long shot, but probably his last chance to get the credit we who were there know he deserves.

A humble, gracious & generous person, he was our best Center ever. 

Rest In Peace, Kent. You are missed!

...nice tribute bud.....hard to believe it's been eight years and that he passed at 50 with so much life ahead......

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Kent Hull was the foundation of that OL for years and he represented the Buffalo Bills very well. His place on the wall is well deserved.

• Like (+1) 2

met Kent at the erie county fair,  he was there with his son.

i said  "hey,  are u?"

he nodded, smiled.

that was it,  that was all that was needed.  quiet humble guy.  was great.

always felt like the team started its decline when he retired.

a good center is very important.

rest in peace Kent. 

• Like (+1) 2

A couple from Mississippi was in our Colorado Springs Bills Booster Club years ago and when I asked her how she became a Bills fan she told

me her older brother played high school ball with Kent and she knew him well.

She had nothing but great things to say about Kent and said a lot of friends and family became diehard fans of the Bills.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

He was one of us.  He is right up there with any of them as far as guys who played for the Bills that represented the persona of WNY.  Was an extremely sad day when he passed, can't believe it's been 8 years already. 

• Sad 1