TNF: KC @ Denver 8:20 ET on Fox and NFLN

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

We have as many webMD doctors on this board as we do arm chair quarterbacks! 

I get it, and normally I tend to avoid speculation about injuries, but the first thing that came to mind for me was Victor Cruz.  I think he had a patellar tendon injury and I don't think he ever came back all the way afterwards.

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

If Mahomes is truly out for a few weeks the Chiefs need to sign a QB. Matt Moore is awful. They won’t win one game with him at the helm. 

he doesn’t have to be good. Just distribute and avoid turnovers. He’s not great but he’s shown he can get by on par with backups 

13 minutes ago, Delusional Bills Optimist said:

I did the same thing when I couldn't get the link to work.  The game's been so bad, I went back to my google search and read one of the articles about returning to sports after a patella dislocation.  According to this paper, 6 weeks seems like it would be a miracle...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4169614/ 

Return to sport after nonsurgical treatment

"A safe return to sport implies that lesions of the knee have healed and the injured lower limb has adequately recovered to face the demands of sporting activities. Successful return to sport implies: (1) no early re-injury; (2) no further damage to the knee; (3) return to the preinjury or higher level; (4) no limiting pain; (5) still playing after 5 years; and (6) no early osteoarthrosis. A comprehensive return to sport decision-making process should be based upon: (1) clinical examination; (2) evaluation of laxity; (3) strength measurement; (4) neuromuscular evaluation; and (5) counselling with the physical conditioner and coach for professional athletes. As regards the patellofemoral joint, the challenge is that the patella is a sesamoid bone enclosed within the extensor mechanism of the lower limb. Its function is closely associated with dynamic muscle activity while retaining its osseous and soft tissue static elements [26].

Atkin et al. [3] followed 74 patients (37 men, 37 women) after a first dislocation that was treated conservatively. Preinjury sports activity was similar to that of patients with primary anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury [10]. Patients were authorized to return to sports after they regained full passive range of motion, had no effusion, and when quadriceps muscle strength was at least 80 % of the noninjured limb. Patients regained range of motion after 6 weeks. Sports participation was limited during the first 6 months after injury, with difficulties in squatting and kneeling. At 6 months, 58 % of patients noted limitations in strenuous activity, but no recurrence was recorded. Sillampaa et al. [32] reported that the return to preinjury activity level varied between 44 % and 60 % regardless of the modality of treatment after the first dislocation."

Also...

"Patellofemoral instability may occur in a young population as a result of injury during sporting activities. This review focuses on return to sport after one episode of dislocation treated no[n]-operatively and as well after surgery for chronic patellofemoral instability. With or without surgery, only two-thirds of patients return to sports at the same level as prior to injury." 

Scary stuff for a relatively uncommon injury...

OMG

3 minutes ago, Delusional Bills Optimist said:

I get it, and normally I tend to avoid speculation about injuries, but the first thing that came to mind for me was Victor Cruz.  I think he had a patellar tendon injury and I don't think he ever came back all the way afterwards.

Difference here is you could amputate Mahomes leg and he’d still throw it around the field with ease. 

His footwork is irrelevant to his accuracy.  Antithesis of QB mechanics. 

12 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't recall a QB ever suffering a major knee injury on a QB sneak. 

I think it was really terrible luck. 

Indeed. Anyone blaming Andy Reid for that is crazy. Belicheat regularly let's Brady* run those---even when he's been on the weekly injury list.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Difference here is you could amputate Mahomes leg and he’d still throw it around the field with ease. 

His footwork is irrelevant to his accuracy.  Antithesis of QB mechanics. 

Eh, he might get by, but he isn’t the game breaker without his mobility. His mobility coupled with his ability to throw from any platform is what makes him truly unique. The game plan to beat a 100% Mahomes is to keep him in the pocket. He would be doing that himself with limited mobility. 

11 minutes ago, Delusional Bills Optimist said:

Cruz ruptured his patellar tendon, something that I've done twice.  (My special talent from the Big Guy upstairs apparently)  It can be a career ender.  Worse prognosis than an ACL tear by far.  Mahomes did something completely different.

A dislocated patella is no where near as serious.  If it was one of us, we would be back at work on Monday in a brace, but we don't have to run for our lives from freaks of nature who weigh 275 pounds and can run a 4.6 forty intent on pile driving us into the ground if they can catch us.

He will be out for a couple weeks and probably in a brace for the rest of the year if there is no other structural damage.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1