TNF: KC @ Denver 8:20 ET on Fox and NFLN

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So the link doesn't work but with a quick google search, 6 weeks recovery time.

I did the same thing when I couldn't get the link to work.  The game's been so bad, I went back to my google search and read one of the articles about returning to sports after a patella dislocation.  According to this paper, 6 weeks seems like it would be a miracle...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4169614/ 

Return to sport after nonsurgical treatment

"A safe return to sport implies that lesions of the knee have healed and the injured lower limb has adequately recovered to face the demands of sporting activities. Successful return to sport implies: (1) no early re-injury; (2) no further damage to the knee; (3) return to the preinjury or higher level; (4) no limiting pain; (5) still playing after 5 years; and (6) no early osteoarthrosis. A comprehensive return to sport decision-making process should be based upon: (1) clinical examination; (2) evaluation of laxity; (3) strength measurement; (4) neuromuscular evaluation; and (5) counselling with the physical conditioner and coach for professional athletes. As regards the patellofemoral joint, the challenge is that the patella is a sesamoid bone enclosed within the extensor mechanism of the lower limb. Its function is closely associated with dynamic muscle activity while retaining its osseous and soft tissue static elements [26].

Atkin et al. [3] followed 74 patients (37 men, 37 women) after a first dislocation that was treated conservatively. Preinjury sports activity was similar to that of patients with primary anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury [10]. Patients were authorized to return to sports after they regained full passive range of motion, had no effusion, and when quadriceps muscle strength was at least 80 % of the noninjured limb. Patients regained range of motion after 6 weeks. Sports participation was limited during the first 6 months after injury, with difficulties in squatting and kneeling. At 6 months, 58 % of patients noted limitations in strenuous activity, but no recurrence was recorded. Sillampaa et al. [32] reported that the return to preinjury activity level varied between 44 % and 60 % regardless of the modality of treatment after the first dislocation."

Also...

"Patellofemoral instability may occur in a young population as a result of injury during sporting activities. This review focuses on return to sport after one episode of dislocation treated no[n]-operatively and as well after surgery for chronic patellofemoral instability. With or without surgery, only two-thirds of patients return to sports at the same level as prior to injury." 

Scary stuff for a relatively uncommon injury...

Edited by Delusional Bills Optimist
typo in quote
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

if he’s bad enough that you can’t call such a simple play- you have to ask if he should be out there at all. It’s not that risky.

that said- I don’t know if it’s even related to the injury or simply a freak accident 

I don't recall a QB ever suffering a major knee injury on a QB sneak. 

I think it was really terrible luck. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

if he’s bad enough that you can’t call such a simple play- you have to ask if he should be out there at all. It’s not that risky.

that said- I don’t know if it’s even related to the injury or simply a freak accident 

Probably a freak accident.  If a sneak was that risky, Brady's knees would have been shot by now given the number of times they run that play.

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't recall a QB ever suffering a major knee injury on a QB sneak. 

I think it was really terrible luck. 

agreed. 

It seems very presumptuous to imply the the two injuries are linked, yet alone declare it certain as the post I quoted did. Any given drop back was likely higher risk than that play.