QB Grades Through Week 6 Per PFF

Kangaxx

42 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What a couple of tools.  Seriously, you can hear the bias dripping off their tongues.

Did they even watch the game?  "Allen is completing passes but he's still not accurate Bills fans"?  What the hell does that even mean?  Are these two morons saying that in all those short pass completions the receivers were having to make circus catches? 

They seem concerned that Allen isn't making "Big Plays" but who on that offense are the "Big Play" guys?  Maybe Foster & Singleterry who were both out.  And did these two numbskulls even realize that the Bills were without THREE startling offensive lineman? 

I know I should just ignore these guys but it's hard to ignore STUPID when it's in your face. 

I agree.  

I'm trying to find the thread on Twitter where ppl were exposing PFF .. 

It's a cool little tool but is Extremely Flawed. Extremely. 

Their rankings do not equate to the only stat that matters - Winning. 

For example of their flawed system - a QB who lights it up in garbage time , where the D is on prevent and giving the QB easy completions , that QB gets graded the same way as he would in the 1st qtr 

Many other examples but bottom line, it's just a flawed system. Their rankings don't change the way I feel about any player at any position

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, methodological concerns with "room for interpretation" right off the top of my mind reading the above:

1) Who is deciding whether or not there are 5 or more rushers and what is the criterion they use?  (BTW .... 5 rushers is not the usual definition of blitz)

Seriously? This is just silly on your part.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2) Passer rating is a controversial statistic to some, but leave that aside and just look at one aspect.  This is how it is calculated:

Passer Rating = 100 *(((MAX(0,MIN((Cmp/Att - 0.3) * 5, 2.375))) + (MAX(0,MIN((Yds/Att - 3) * 0.25, 2.375))) + (MAX(0,MIN((TD/Att) * 20, 2.375))) + (MAX(0,MIN(2.375 - INT/Att * 25, 2.375)))) / 6)

So right off the bat, you can see there is some subjectivity in the choice of this statistic as a methodology as it does not

1) penalize the passer for negative plays such as taking a sack or fumbling

2) credit the passer for positive plays such as rushing for yards.  And in fact that probably has something to do with the fact that Mariota and Winston rate highly there. 

In what world is passer rating a controversial statistic? We certainly don’t seem to have any problem using it when it’s to show howAllen is one of the highest rated passers in the 4th quarter.

33 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Devil’s Advocate because why not: 

those of you who say wins and losses are all that matters, is that how you assess other positional groups too? 

if so, should we be content with our entire offensive production? 

the people who try to analyze positional players are trying to look at these players in a vacuum. A lot of factors aren’t taken into account, and you should be aware of it, not mad about it. 

I get that some people feel the need to defend Allen at all costs, but he is fine, and knows that he has to improve.

that’s what I was trying to get at. There is a small group of people unwilling to acknowledge the fact that Allen has struggled at times. 

I’m more concerned about 4th quarter play when the game is on the line. Most NFL games are decided in the 4th quarter. Let me know who produces in crunch time.

Everything I’ve seen from PFF or interview I’ve heard from them is clearly biased against Josh Allen. It seems that they are more interested in keeping their original narrative then looking objectively. Josh can definitely improve, has improved over last year and is continuing to grow and I’ll take him all day long as our quarterback! Oh and he is accurate. Duh.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Seriously? This is just silly on your part.

In what world is passer rating a controversial statistic? We certainly don’t seem to have any problem using it when it’s to show howAllen is one of the highest rated passers in the 4th quarter.

Get over the Allen thing and focus on everything else, that's what he's trying to say to you. The view of PFF and stats has NOTHING to do with Allen. As a matter of fact, you are making it about him and it makes me question your bias!

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

PFF was down on Allen (aggressively so) when he was drafted

They dont like to admit they are wrong

I like PFF and see it as a useful tool, and yet when it comes to Allen PFF sure seems to have a bone to pick here. Someone posted Allen's passing grade as around 60 (average) by PFF's standards. Funny how PFF doesn't mention that Allen's passing grade has improved (I think by over 10 points) from a poor player to an average one and that his running grade is what is dragging him down, by their standards.

To me, a player who has just completed his first 16 games. Has improved his passing (what has been most criticized) despite his grade being weighed down by playing against a defense that might be historically good to me warrants optimism. Hard to see PFF as anything other than biased here.

28 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Get over the Allen thing and focus on everything else, that's what he's trying to say to you. The view of PFF and stats has NOTHING to do with Allen. As a matter of fact, you are making it about him and it makes me question your bias!

Get over what Allen thing? This is literally a thread about a PFF stat for QBs. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanForReal said:

MJ5k2zJ.png

I mean, it's not surprising at all. I'm sure our fans will get pissed and argue how this isn't indicative of the player he is, and that in reality he's the one QB in modern history that's a great player while simultaneously playing like he has...

There's definitely room for growth, but man does he have to get MUCH better to be a real franchise QB.

Edit: Yup...after reading through some comments, of course people now are just outright dismissing PFF because they don't like what they see. Did anyone really think after watching how Allen's played so far that he'd be ranked higher than these guys? Honestly?

Edited by BigDingus
  • Thank you (+1) 1