Cordy Glenn at Odds With Bengals Over Concussion

H2o

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

How did Byrd manipulate the Bills? Or screw over the Saints for that matter?

By avoiding playing as much as possible.  Check out news stories about him and the Saints.  They describe his signing as a complete disaster for their organization.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I keep thinking about Jairus Byrd and how he manipulated the Bills, and totally screwed the Saints, over that foot injury that no one else could see.

Byrd's goal was to make a lot of money and walk away a healthy, wealthy young man.  He probably liked playing football but recognized the dangers.  He worked the system.  Perhaps Glenn is doing the same thing.

Funny, in these situations I always think of JR Richard, the Astros pitcher who complained about arm pain and everyone said nothing was wrong with him...and he was just being a diva and crybaby.....and then a blood clot broke away in his arm, went to his brain and he nearly died of a stroke.  Of course, there are some athletes (Jalen Ramsey, maybe) who milk or even fake injuries, but when athletes say something is wrong with their bodies, I think it's best to trust them.

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

By avoiding playing as much as possible.  Check out news stories about him and the Saints.  They describe his signing as a complete disaster for their organization.

I think Jairus claimed he had plantar fasciitis.  It can last a while and varies from person to person.  Hard to prove one way or another. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/17/bengals-cordy-glenn-at-odds-over-handling-of-his-concussion/

If I am not mistaken, wasn't he at odds with the Bills as well over his foot injury while here? Either way, they are likely headed for a divorce one way or another most likely. 

Well, without any other knowledge than what you've just said:

1) Under the CBA, the player has the right to seek a second medical opinion for any injury.  The team and its coaches should have nothing to say about whether there's a need.  From the link:

The CBA gives players the right to a second medical opinion concerning their physical ability or inability to play football. The club must pay for this provided the player:

• First consults with the club physician prior to seeing the second opinion physician; and
  • Makes sure that the physician rendering the second opinion provides the club with a copy of his/her report.

If a player is a candidate for surgery, he has the right to select a surgeon of his choice to perform the surgery. However, unless the surgery is an emergency, the player must first consult the club physician and give due consideration to any recommendation made by the club physician. All medical bills are to be paid by the club.

2) I thought this kind of wrangling was exactly what the NFL's Concussion Protocol was designed to remove - the team and its physicians do not get to "clear" a player to return.  It has to be handled by an independent neurologist using, among other things, individualized baseline testing.

10 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Since "avoiding playing as much as possible" was arguably what Byrd did to the Bills (as long as he could while getting paid), the Saints had every reason to know what they were getting with Byrd. 

As the Al Wilson song says " "I saved you," cried the woman "And you've bitten me, but why? You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin "You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in"

• Like (+1) 2

He was a good player. I don't know how much we can really take away from the soap opera part, because it sounds like a lot of he said she said. And with a head injury, I'd like to give the player the benefit of the doubt. Independent doctors, independent anything, really don't exist. Everyone has an agenda all of the time, so the player should look out for himself. Just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since "avoiding playing as much as possible" was arguably what Byrd did to the Bills (as long as he could while getting paid), the Saints had every reason to know what they were getting with Byrd. 

As the Al Wilson song says " "I saved you," cried the woman "And you've bitten me, but why? You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin "You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in"

"Plantar Fakeitis".  I started term and saw blogs started picking up term including one in Buffalo News.  His avoidance included acting like Neon Dieon on tackling and opposing players would say about both best thing was to run right at him.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Byrd was a bad signing for NO.  That was back when the Saints were trying to buy a championship and it totally backfired.

The played the cap manipulation game and lost.  They missed 3 years of playoffs because of it.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

All in all, he moved on and it's better to keep it that way. He's not sounding like a guy who wants to play anymore.

Or maybe he just doesn't want to play for the winless Bengals at this point? I also believe he feels slighted and is acting in this manner due to the fact they were kicking him into LG because of Williams, but when Williams gets injured he is being put back at LT. Some athletes are petty and it's hard to judge what is ego or legit anymore. 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I thought they have independent physicians that monitor the concussion protocol.  If so, then Glenn has nothing to complain about.

....EXACTLY......how can the Bengals rush him back?....didn't think team physicians were involved in the clearing procedure.....

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Glenn was a monster his first few years here.   And when it comes to concussions the Bengals should know better not to mess around.  That said the guy hasnt played a full season since 2015, and in any job the best ability is availability.   If he plays again he probably will need a very good situation to be motivated.  

He’ll end up in New England 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

I keep thinking about Jairus Byrd and how he manipulated the Bills, and totally screwed the Saints, over that foot injury that no one else could see.

Byrd's goal was to make a lot of money and walk away a healthy, wealthy young man.  He probably liked playing football but recognized the dangers.  He worked the system.  Perhaps Glenn is doing the same thing.

It's obvious he wants to get out of his deal so he can sign with a Super Bowl contender...US!

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....EXACTLY......how can the Bengals rush him back?....didn't think team physicians were involved in the clearing procedure.....

Concussions are tricky because doctors have to rely on input from patients. There are the obvious symptoms, and then there are the "how do you feel, today?" diagnosis.

Glenn's "concussion" was self-reported, and fans have pointed out that they can't find the play where he got hurt. He wasn't presenting with any symptoms, and no one had a clue, until Cordy went to the doctors himself. 

The Bengals are basically accusing him of faking it, now; after 8 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1