Bills part of Gil Brandts top defenses of 2019

Stank_Nasty

Good summary on each of his top 8 units so far in 2019. Hard to argue with the Pats a #1. At this point it may be a toss up between our Bills and the Niners. Was pleased to see he gave our unit the nod at #2, though!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001066462/article/patriots-bills-niners-bears-among-top-nfl-defenses-of-2019

BILLS

2019 RANKINGS
Points allowed: 4th
Yards allowed: 3rd
Against the pass: 3rd
Against the run: 7th

This defense does not boast a single All-Pro player, and the unit's only Pro Bowler from 2018, Kyle Williams, retired in the offseason. No Bill ranks in the top 10 in sacks or in Pro Football Focus' coverage grades. And yet, under head coach Sean McDermott and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, the whole is much greater than the sum of the defensive parts in Buffalo. The Bills rank third in the NFL in points and yards allowed per game, which explains how a team with an offense that is barely averaging more than two touchdowns per game is 4-1. And Buffalo's defensive ranking should get even better after upcoming matchups against the Dolphins (Week 7) and Redskins (Week 9). McDermott is one of the top coaches in the NFL, and I'm feeling as confident as ever in my preseason prediction that the Bills will make the playoffs in 2019

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Actually it is kind of...we put up 375 yards on them and they put up 224 on us.

They have also played myriads of bad teams and backup QBs

its debatable for sure. but its not a great one... I've maintained the bills were the better defensive unit on the field that day. i think they were. but the pats numbers, even if against horrible competition, are just so staggering. right now i think they are the top D. they'll come back to the pack soon enough i think. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I don't understand why the same argument used AGAINST Buffalo is not used against New England.  The knock is the Bills haven't played a top team yet (besides the Patriots) so we don't really know how good their defense actually is.  The Patriots have played terrible teams up until now, yet no one is holding that against them - people just keep saying how great they are!  I'm not saying that their defense isn't good - they are getting turnovers, they are putting up historic numbers at this point, yada yada, but they needed all of those turnovers to barely beat Buffalo (while giving up almost 400 yards!)

I've been reading here for a long time, finally felt compelled enough to sign up - media, fans, everyone needs to look past the numbers and actually watch the teams play....myself included!

• Like (+1) 2

I respect Brandt's opinion because of his background.  He's probably forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.  So I guess I'm encouraged that he thinks so highly of our D.

But mostly I don't care.  We all see the quality of this D each week.  It's a really good D.   Good enough to take us to the playoffs?  Gil thinks so but we won't know until we know.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I respect Brandt's opinion because of his background.  He's probably forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.  So I guess I'm encouraged that he thinks so highly of our D.

But mostly I don't care.  We all see the quality of this D each week.  It's a really good D.   Good enough to take us to the playoffs?  Gil thinks so but we won't know until we know.  

I have always like Brandt's analysis. You are right though, he probably has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know! lol!

10 hours ago, Pay_Poyer said:

I don't understand why the same argument used AGAINST Buffalo is not used against New England.  The knock is the Bills haven't played a top team yet (besides the Patriots) so we don't really know how good their defense actually is.  The Patriots have played terrible teams up until now, yet no one is holding that against them - people just keep saying how great they are!  I'm not saying that their defense isn't good - they are getting turnovers, they are putting up historic numbers at this point, yada yada, but they needed all of those turnovers to barely beat Buffalo (while giving up almost 400 yards!)

I've been reading here for a long time, finally felt compelled enough to sign up - media, fans, everyone needs to look past the numbers and actually watch the teams play....myself included!

Welcome! 

The Patriots* get the benefit of the doubt because they’ve been in most of the Super Bowls over the last couple decades. That is about to change, but it does affect people’s current perception. 

As for this year, we’ve played many of the same weak teams. We have been fortunate enough to win some close games. The Pats* have stomped on their throats and crushed them. Look at the points for and against in the division. We can beat them, and the tide is turning, but they beat us at home in a close one, so they are still on top. 

The tide is turning, I’m confident of that. 

10 hours ago, Pay_Poyer said:

Steelers weren't terrible and they stomped them. They still had Big Ben when they faced the Pats. They've shown that they can win some games even without Big Ben. Bills weren't horrible and they beat the Bills.