Running QBs Injury Likelihood

DCOrange

38 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not sure why you have this apparent need to grill me bit to answer your question, no i did not play QB, you think that info is only privy to the QBs, think again, part of broad strategy in playing the game.  Also my son currently plays so yes safe to say i am up so date. Besides the endless hours i waste reading &  listening to football experts in the media.

grilling you? I was just asking a question. I never said it was privy to QBs but, since this thread was about running QBs, it was pretty clear.

have a nice day

23 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I was surprised that designed runs wasn't higher, but it occurred to me that a QB sneak is technically a designed run. I'd be interested in seeing that category split into sneaks vs other designed runs like QB draws, options in which the QB runs, etc.

On a designed run the QB knows to run, and knows a big hit is coming. 

when you don’t know/see it is when you can get lit up bad. 

Edited by Nick the Greek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Running Quarterbacks are disasters.  Defenses eventually figure them out. You can only go so far with a guy that can't throw the ball

Are you saying Allen can't throw the ball?  Otherwise, I'm missing your point.

Edited by Pokebball

A few points on this study:

1.  Not all QB designed runs or scrambles are created equal. 

Many QBs are smart enough to slide or get out of bounds (which is why Russell Wilson has been so durable despite his scrambles).  This is much different than when a QB invites contact like a running back (such as Cam Newton).

2.  Quarterback Sneaks 

Despite the freak injury to Patrick Mahomes last night, the QB sneak is generally a very safe play.  Until now, I've never seen anyone get hurt while sneaking.  I imagine this skews the numbers in favor of "designed" runs.

3.  Running QBs are still exposed to MORE hits

Even if you take the numbers above as gospel, running QBs are still going to get hurt more.  While pocket passers are only in danger from sacks, the scrambling guys are in danger from BOTH.  The more opportunity to get hit, the greater chance for injury.

4.  Offensive Line is vital

The worst thing for QBs will almost always be sacks/hits while throwing, simply because they cannot protect or brace themselves.  This is why Left Tackles get paid so much, to stop the blindside hits.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Until he isn't

suddenly

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

again. 

Well then,  If he keeps getting injured then we will know he's not the future of the franchise.  Just like any other player.  Simple.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

3.  Running QBs are still exposed to MORE hits

Even if you take the numbers above as gospel, running QBs are still going to get hurt more.  While pocket passers are only in danger from sacks, the scrambling guys are in danger from BOTH.  The more opportunity to get hit, the greater chance for injury.

Most QBs who cannot run are extremely vulnerable to being hit even when they are not running.  I used to have a tape showing replay of Dan Marino getting knocked out for season (the season he got a big break doing commercials since he was not able to play) and I used to watch it repeatedly until tape was unusable. It used be my tradition to play it before every Phish game and every time a Phish QB was sacked.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:54 AM, Bangarang said:

I’ll just come out and say it. I hate the designed runs for Allen. I think Daboll calls them too much.

I’ve sort of said this before: if you like the more accurate in the box system appropriate Allen, then you are going to be missing the scrambling for bunches fly by the seat of your pants throw bombs Allen.

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Most QBs who cannot run are extremely vulnerable to being hit even when they are not running.  I used to have a tape showing replay of Dan Marino getting knocked out for season (the season he got a big break doing commercials since he was not able to play) and I used to watch it repeatedly until tape was unusable. It used be my tradition to play it before every Phish game and every time a Phish QB was sacked.

That is definitely another factor to consider.

QBs with zero ability to elude pass rushers (our old boy Drew Bledsoe immediately comes to mind) face another set of issues.

At the end of the day, I think running ability can be a tremendous asset to a QB and a great weapon for the offense.
But both the player and coaching staff need to be mindful of avoiding hits, regardless of how it happens.  Take advantage of the sidelines, and the rules that allow for sliding.  Make the offensive line a priority every season.

My hope is that Josh Allen and the Bills staff look towards Russell Wilson as the model to follow.  He always makes an effort to protect himself.  On the flip-side, you have guys like Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson who act like running backs.  You can see how things are finally catching up to Newton, and I hope Watson isn't headed down the same road.