Running QBs Injury Likelihood

DCOrange

Allen's first injury doesn't fit into those categories, right? His arm got banged after throwing the ball but he wasn't knocked down, if I remember it.

Allen's injury this year was on a scramble, which is just as dangerous as staying in the pocket and taking a sack. No issue with him scrambling.

The designed runs have seemed fairly safe to me and they haven't been called a ton. Once or twice a game. And they are apparently safer than taking a sack or a knockdown in the pocket.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He runs a lot, takes a lot of hits.  Played for years behind a bad O-line. 

I’ve watched quite a lot of Seahawks games over the years mainly because of Wilson. He’s probably one of the smartest and most instinctive runners I’ve seen. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Josh will be fine running.

I mean, maybe, but he did just get blasted and suffer a concussion while running just a few weeks ago..If he learns from it and gets down before taking contact then fantastic.

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/injury-proneness-running-qbs-russell-wilson-lamar-jackson/opdkjdfw91001uuwfzt4rm82s

According to Sports Info Solutions, QBs are injured:

• Every 236 designed QB runs
  • Every 91.7 scrambles
  • Every 92.5 sacks
  • Every 67.3 knockdowns after throwing

Which shows what I have been saying all along...a QB is more likely to get hurt staying in the pocket than out on a run.  Look at all the running QB's over the years, most of the injuries didnt come while running, most occurred on hits in the pocket.  

With todays rules where a QB can give up his body to avoid hits or simply go out of bounds, the likely hood of an injury is less compared to staying in the pocket and taking a big hit.  Plus, on a run, a QB is usually running away from the impending impact (players chasing him rather than running at him from the front) as any defender directly in front of them, they would simply slide or go out of bounds.  Not to mention those defenders would likely be smaller DB's and Safeties too.  But in the pocket, the defender is usually coming fast at a QB that isnt moving away from the hit and sometimes even stepping into the hit if making the throw.

This is why I have been saying not to freak out over Josh running in terms of worrying about him being hit.  Yes he can still get hurt, but the point is, the odds of getting are not increasing like so many fear when he is on the run.  

The one problem Josh has though is that he's tough and big, so he does initiate more contact than he should, but I think he's learning the hard way not to do that now.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve watched quite a lot of Seahawks games over the years mainly because of Wilson. He’s probably one of the smartest and most instinctive runners I’ve seen. 

I mean, maybe, but he did just get blasted and suffer a concussion while running just a few weeks ago..If he learns from it and gets down before taking contact then fantastic.

Stats show he is at least as likely to get that big hit getting sacked as on a designed run play or a scramble.

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/injury-proneness-running-qbs-russell-wilson-lamar-jackson/opdkjdfw91001uuwfzt4rm82s

According to Sports Info Solutions, QBs are injured:

• Every 236 designed QB runs
  • Every 91.7 scrambles
  • Every 92.5 sacks
  • Every 67.3 knockdowns after throwing

So he should do more designated QB runs than throws since they happen less often?

Silly stat not in content.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So he should do more designated QB runs than throws since they happen less often?

Silly stat not in content.

I think the main point is that people shouldn't freak out so much about a QB that runs. It's likely safer health-wise than them throwing the ball.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

seems there may be some changes in what you were once taught.

so, you played QB?

Not sure why you have this apparent need to grill me bit to answer your question, no i did not play QB, you think that info is only privy to the QBs, think again, part of broad strategy in playing the game.  Also my son currently plays so yes safe to say i am up so date. Besides the endless hours i waste reading &  listening to football experts in the media.