Rep. Elijah Cummings has passed away

44 minutes ago, njbuff said:

This is what pisses me off.

Can’t people, FROM ALL SIDES, just take a moment to pay respects to a man that held public office in this country?

Instead, you get morons who use someone’s death to bash everyone else to Kingdom Come, purely for political gain.

Sickening

I trust you’re not lumping me in with the morons. My initial condolences were heartfelt.

Cummings should have quit and not died in office. He was using a scooter and walker recently.  His health was failing.  IMO, he might have lived longer if he wasn't so hateful.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, SoCal Deek said:

I trust you’re not lumping me in with the morons. 

I'm lumping you in with the morons.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, SoCal Deek said:

My initial condolences were heartfelt.

Condolences?  What?

On 10/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, njbuff said:

This is what pisses me off.

Can’t people, FROM ALL SIDES, just take a moment to pay respects to a man that held public office in this country?

Instead, you get morons who use someone’s death to bash everyone else to Kingdom Come, purely for political gain.

Sickening

Well, there was a time I felt the way you did, but I’ve come to believe  that the need to pay respects to someone simply because they held public office is unnecessary.  IMO, many of these people work for one of the most un/underegulated ‘corporations’ in the human history.  They come to live, breathe and work in their own interests as much as they ever work in the interests of their constituents, are extremely well-compensated in terms of salary, benefits and access to power.  Often, when I look at net worth v. annual income, it seems there is a disconnect between what they make going in and what they take when they walk out.  

I reserve my moments of respect for very few in the political realm, and find myself much more impacted by the passing of folks of good character locally.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

He doesn’t deserve a separate thread 

FORMER CONGRESSMAN JOHN CONYERS (D-MI) HAS DIED AT AGE 90:

Conyers was the only African American lawmaker in history to mark a golden anniversary in office. But after 53 years on the hill, his career would come to a stunning and sudden end in 2017 when former staffers came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

He doesn’t deserve a separate thread 

FORMER CONGRESSMAN JOHN CONYERS (D-MI) HAS DIED AT AGE 90:

Conyers was the only African American lawmaker in history to mark a golden anniversary in office. But after 53 years on the hill, his career would come to a stunning and sudden end in 2017 when former staffers came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I hope that my retirement will be viewed in the larger perspective of my record."

Conyers you stooge, you had no retirement unless we consider what little you did for several terms in office.