How has McDermott done with this team so far?

GreggTX

Grade Sean McDermott  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Grade our HC

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

I gave him an A.  No one is perfect and a few comments about his in game coaching are warranted but a small piece of the whole picture.  

My guess is he will be in consideration for coach of the year, his teams are always ready to play...he hires good assistant coaches (a big part of the job everyone has missed) and hes delivering wins. 

In the offseason I'm hopefully they extend the beane and SM tandem for another 5 years. 

I went with B+, but could have just as well gone with A-.  Our Special Teams have been suspect and I question some of the conservative moves he's made (although he went for it twice on 4th down in the last game).  If you have all of your timeouts, more than a minute on the clock and the ball past the 30 yard line at the end of a half, try to get into FG range!  We didn't do that against the Giants and let them back into the game.  That said, the defense has been great, the offense is improving and he has created a fantastic culture that bodes well for the future.  And he got a team with very little talent to the playoffs two years ago, got a team with very little offensive talent to 6 wins last year and has the current squad at 4-1.

I remember in 2017 in a game against the Raiders. Tyrod threw a ball to Tate who maneuvered for a first down before running out of bounds to the Bills soundline. What looked like the entire team huddled around him and celebrated. I cannot remember the last time I saw a Bills team, that looked so much like a team. I hope McD continues to be successful because I love having him as a coach and love having players that fit his mold.

He's done Well!  He is a very intelligent leader I think. Game management worries me and I would NOT say he's a natural at it. Timeouts etc. I love the 4th down aggressiveness which is not something I thought we would get from him. One thing that concerns me is whether he can really motivate these players continually into the future, alot depends on results but he manages expectations well. We always come out of the half on offense without as much urgency as we do at other times and I ask myself the question is it to do with McDermott's style at half time. Put it this way though, some of the browns office wanted him and they must be KICKING themselves. 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Who’s the moron on here that voted F????

Haha - Marrone.  you were close.

Edited by london_bills

I think I gave him a B+... somehow I must've suffered severe brainfarts between voting and scrolling down to type a reply. Ha!

I think he's a solid coach. I've said this before and others have pointed it out but he knows how to get a lot out of a little. The 2017 roster wasn't loaded by any means but he gets them to 9-7 and a Wild Card in his first year. We knew 2018 was destined to be the "growing pains" season and although they looked out of their element at times, they were able to get six victories and some invaluable experience for their rookie QB. 

I think a lot of folks assumed 2020 would be the season where they'd "arrive for real" but it looks as if they might be a year early, at this point in the season, anyway. Even though this is an entirely different organization from top to bottom, it's still difficult, as a fan, to be confident that they aren't gonna find a way to implode and start 4-1 and finish 7-9 or something. It's not as difficult as it has been in the past but those hot starts/lousy finishes in '08 and '11 still haunt us. I have a lot more confidence now than I did back then, though. 

He's gotten every player and coach to buy in, and if someone (player or coach) isn't buying in or isn't producing, it seems as though he can see that and make changes as needed. He's installed a culture, he's created confidence, he's created chemistry among players and coaches and he has these guys playing for one another. Yeah, surely he'll have some mishaps here and there, as every coach does, but given what he's been able to accomplish so far, I don't think there's a whole lot of room to complain. Maybe I shoulda gave him an A.

Edited by blacklabel

A- or B+, personally leaning more towards a B+ just so far. 2017 was an amazing way to end the drought but even that was by the thinnest margin possible and almost ruined by switching to Peterman still an A+ season in my opinion to win 9 games with that roster. 

2018 was a big blemish on the resume. I get that this season was a clearing out of bad contracts and other issues left over from the Rex era. But the managing of the QB situation was just horrendous. The defense did play like a top 10 unit but the offense was a bottom 2-3 unit. The continued loyalty to Peterman and the lack of finding a true veteran QB to play in front or behind Josh was so bad. I would have given McD a D+ for that season. 

But 2019 so far has been another A+. Overall it is an interesting ride with McD. I believe that he always had a 3 year plan to take 2017 and 2018 to clear out contracts, gain draft capital to draft a QB, and build his culture. But he overachieved in 2017 which may have warped the expectations for 2018. 

But now in 2019 the team has had a chance to execute a proper rebuild in many different avenues.  They have an elite defense a solid special teams unit and a decent enough offense. The team also has cap flexibility to add a piece or two in free agency and maintain what they have, they also have their draft assets going forward. 

Overall McD has executed a prudent rebuild with a look to sustain a winning model for the next 2-3 seasons as well. BUT he did mismanage the most important position and potentially risk harming the growth of a rookie QB in 2018 which is so far just under half of his tenure here. So taking into account that bump in the road I think a B+ with an eye towards an A if this team wins 10+ this year.