How has McDermott done with this team so far?

GreggTX

Grade Sean McDermott  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Grade our HC

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Sunshower said:

How so? I just think Josh needs to generate more points and limit the turnovers. In no way am I calling him a bust, I just need to see him take care of the football and grow into his own more. We need a 2:1 TD:INT ratio to push deep into the playoffs.

Take the time to look into Josh's journey to the NFL. He's a work in process.

We drafted a guy with high intelligence and athletic abilities that are off the charts but has never been coached at a high level before. He's survived solely on arm strength and athletic abilities. This coaching staff is catching him up on the fundamentals that are required at this level. Going into the season everyone wanted the completion % to come up which has happened. Be patient Josh is an elite qb in the making. 

• Like (+1) 1

I gave McDermott and A. He came into a stinky swamp of failure and has built a culture of responsibility with a team focused on responsibility and improvement. It has been, and is, a joy to watch. Maybe the most exciting part of this, to me, is the promise of youth on this team. A quality case can be made that the table is set for a serious multi-year run of excellence for Buffalo. I'm lovin' it.

This however, is also a to-be-continued scenario. Our offense and quarterback must, must, grow and improve. I like what we have and am satisfied with where we are at. But, if we are here in a month, it will be disappointing. Our young QB and many new parts have not yet adequately come together. I believe they will. But a serious fan will acknowledge that the improvement is needed. I actually love "the process" and believe in it.

Also, I am enjoying the comments in this thread. Some thoughts are more skeptical than mine. But, they are thoughtful and insightful and I respect the input.    

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm a huge McDermott fan he was the guy I wanted after Rex. Indeed he is the guy I wanted before Rex was fired. I voted B+. Win double digit games and make the playoffs this year and he gets an A. 

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

He gave daily medical updates beyond “yeah, I’m not really sure. Haven’t talked to the trainers or medical staff”. He gave insights on games just played including key plays & players, unlike “well, I’ll have to look at the film tomorrow”. Of course he’s a clown. But I looked forward to his pressers. Sean hasn’t uttered a word worth quoting. Again, it’s the best way for a coach to act. It’s just boring as hell.

Yea. I love Sean but man his press conferences are dull. Just to be clear the dull pressers does not play into my grade. What does keep him below an A is I think he mishandled the QB situation a couple of times early on, he challenges the spot of the ball..... they are challenges you should never make because you never win, and there have been too many blowouts. But if he wins double digits this year (first time in my fandom we would have won more than 9) and makes the postseason for the 2nd time in 3 years after inheriting a 17 year drought then it is impossible to keep him below an A in my estimation. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My A- is due to the fact he never shows his hand. I get it, and I respect the hell out of it. I just want more insight.

In this regard -and ONLY this regard, I miss Rex.

I also give him an A-.

I love that he never shows his hand.  The more pages he takes from the Bill Belichick book of handling the media, the better, IMO.

I can't believe you said you miss Rex.

My ding on McDermott is his horrible record with the red flag.  Not sure if that's to blame on someone upstairs of it's on him.  Either way, "the Bills," suck at taking advantage of reviews.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm a huge McDermott fan he was the guy I wanted after Rex. Indeed he is the guy I wanted before Rex was fired. I voted B+. Win double digit games and make the playoffs this year and he gets an A. 

Yea. I love Sean but man his press conferences are dull. Just to be clear the dull pressers does not play into my grade. What does keep him below an A is I think he mishandled the QB situation a couple of times early on, he challenges the spot of the ball..... they are challenges you should never make because you never win, and there have been too many blowouts. But if he wins double digits this year (first time in my fandom we would have won more than 9) and makes the postseason for the 2nd time in 3 years after inheriting a 17 year drought then it is impossible to keep him below an A in my estimation. 

i agree. i said something similar to this earier. love almost everything that's happened so far. only reason i'm going B+ and not an A is because of the unforgivable Nathan Peterman saga. 

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My ding on McDermott is his horrible record with the red flag.  Not sure if that's to blame on someone upstairs of it's on him.  Either way, "the Bills," suck at taking advantage of reviews.

It is kind of odd.  Would be an interesting question for a reporter to ask in a press conference if he relies on a single individual.

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I voted A.  He's the person most directly responsible for building a strong culture and team chemistry that this franchise has lacked since the SB era.  Since McD arrived, our team consistently pulls out a win or two in games that we have no business winning, which reflects well on the coach.  He needs better game-day management to move up to an A+, but that's a relatively small part of his job compared to the other big-picture stuff.

Heading into the draft, I was led to believe that Josh Allen was a super-raw prospect from a third tier program who would need to learn the game from the sideline.  Nearly everybody agreed that he shouldn't see the field during his first year, and many argued that he would need to sit and watch for two seasons before being ready for game action.  With that as our starting point, Josh Allen's development has come along much faster than expected.  He's not there yet, but he's in his second year and he's clearly on the right trajectory.  Not much more you can ask of a coaching staff.

Two years sitting before playing? Wonder why some had a problem with the pick. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

My A- is due to the fact he never shows his hand. I get it, and I respect the hell out of it. I just want more insight.

In this regard -and ONLY this regard, I miss Rex.

Maybe thats the beauty of it. Keep it somewhat interior for now until it entirely unfolds.

Edited by Rocket94

A+ for the Defense, C- (up from D-) on Offense, C- on Special Teams. The Defense grade overall for 3 years is held down by the Peterman debacle and the failure to have a decent QB room, and the puzzling attachment to Vlad, Benjamin, Zay and others. However, the 180 change in focus on the Offense since last year leads me to believe McD has "got it" and that the trendline is up. I expect the Offense to be at least a solid B by this time next year. Feeling good about the future.

3 hours ago, teef said:

i'd put him in the b to b+ range right now.  it just depends how this year finishes out.  if the bills get into the playoffs this year, that will be 2 out of his first 3 years here he's done it, (i'm a wizard at math...i know) and for a bills coach this century, that's phenomenal. 

FIFY

• Like (+1) 1

B+ right now. Could definitely be bumped up to an A or A+ at some point. Interesting to see how the Bills handle this next four game stretch now that they’ve had some success. It will have a big impact on their playoff positioning come week 17. Schedule is a little tougher from Thanksgiving on. 

preliminary grade of B+, 4-1 with a solid defensive effort in the loss.  If the team finishes over 10 wins, Allen continues to develop, figures out how to avoid the 3rdQ slump and earns a playoff birth I will give him a final grade of A.

20 minutes ago, yungmack said:

A+ for the Defense, C- (up from D-) on Offense, C- on Special Teams. The Defense grade overall for 3 years is held down by the Peterman debacle and the failure to have a decent QB room, and the puzzling attachment to Vlad, Benjamin, Zay and others. However, the 180 change in focus on the Offense since last year leads me to believe McD has "got it" and that the trendline is up. I expect the Offense to be at least a solid B by this time next year. Feeling good about the future.

Just found it funny that you say puzzling attachment to .... 3 guys that aren't on the team anymore.  Made me chuckle.  I know what you meant though.

Edited by Mark80

I'd go with a B. 

I think he's a good leader and teacher. No doubt the guys come to play for him. 

He is not a good game manager. This is very worrisome given we're in year 3. As you can see with someone like Andy Reid who is in many ways a brilliant coach...it is something that some coaches just never figure out.