How has McDermott done with this team so far?

GreggTX

Grade Sean McDermott  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Grade our HC

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

3 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Yes, but Allen has a 5:7 TD:INT ratio. That needs to be way better for long term success. The current structure of winning is unsustainable.

How so? I would argue this is better than outscoring everyone. The defense isnt forcing a bunch of turnovers and if Josh can cut down on his, this team will be really sound and mistake free. Hard to beat a team that doesnt beat themselves

35 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m looking at all 3 years. B+.... great job great job making the playoffs after gutting talent in 17. Great job finishing 4-2 that year after it looked like a mid season implosion would derail us. Great job keeping the team competitive with a rookie qb last year working through cap hell. Great start to the season and bounce back from an emotional pats loss. 

.... and then there’s all the peterman stuff. Which is nearly unforgivable. 

so B+ it is. 

I would guess 2 out of 3 years is in the top end of the league in general over that span. There is so much parity and turnover.We’ll have to wait and see but I’d guesss no more than 10-12 teams will have gone 2 out of the last 3 years. 

.... and ya if he pulls it off and we are grading on a bills curve it’s an A++++++ ?

there is a definite bills curve involved here.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Personally, I think our HC has some weaknesses in his game management skills, but he has gotten better. As a leader, however, I think he has been excellent. He's got these players ready to run through walls for him.

How would you grade him overall as a HC?

I give McDermott an A right now based on what he is doing. We are really starting to see all of the elements of team work and discipline come in to play. McDermott is getting the very best out of the players that he has with excellent results. This process will elevate even further with additional talent. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

How so? I would argue this is better than outscoring everyone. The defense isnt forcing a bunch of turnovers and if Josh can cut down on his, this team will be really sound and mistake free. Hard to beat a team that doesnt beat themselves

How so? I just think Josh needs to generate more points and limit the turnovers. In no way am I calling him a bust, I just need to see him take care of the football and grow into his own more. We need a 2:1 TD:INT ratio to push deep into the playoffs.

I voted A.  He's the person most directly responsible for building a strong culture and team chemistry that this franchise has lacked since the SB era.  Since McD arrived, our team consistently pulls out a win or two in games that we have no business winning, which reflects well on the coach.  He needs better game-day management to move up to an A+, but that's a relatively small part of his job compared to the other big-picture stuff.

52 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Defense has performed well, but the development of Josh Allen has been tepid and lackluster at best.

Heading into the draft, I was led to believe that Josh Allen was a super-raw prospect from a third tier program who would need to learn the game from the sideline.  Nearly everybody agreed that he shouldn't see the field during his first year, and many argued that he would need to sit and watch for two seasons before being ready for game action.  With that as our starting point, Josh Allen's development has come along much faster than expected.  He's not there yet, but he's in his second year and he's clearly on the right trajectory.  Not much more you can ask of a coaching staff.

Went B+ for a few reasons. Timeout and challenge management has been a general weakness. Although he is not the GM, he has been loyal to a fault to some of "his players". Also if I voted A there isnt much room for improvement and hes still a little green and will hopefully improve.

Edit: also who the ? voted F lol lingering Pat's fan

Edited by BillsShredder83
Update

clearly deserves an A

PROS: his leadership is outstanding, his players play hard and unlike the last guy he's not a blowhard.

CONS: his success at challenges suck.  i'd like to see less penalties. his incessant clapping at bad outcomes bugs me....but yet it may be a defense mechanism that says to his team...put that behind us, get ready for the next play.

both mcclappity and beane deserve and will get new 5 year deals.

how refreshing for our franchise that stabilty will finally be ours

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1

SM is showing himself to be the best coach this team has had in some time, as SM would himself say, there is always room for improvement, I gave him an A thus far.

Go Bills!!!

Given the talent of the roster, I give him an A+. 

Not trying to be negative, I love this team, but even our defense doesn't have one single stud. You could argue Jerry, or Tre, or even Micah, and they are certainly a talented group, but what they are achieving is incredible. 

Then look at the offense. Again, I love our team, but Brown and Beasley as your top receivers isn't inspiring. They are both super solid in their roles, but neither is exceptional. Gore is a legend, but not a true #1 stud anymore. And the O-line is a good solid group, but no real stars. 

Essentially he's taken a group of men, a very deep and solid group, and turned them into a TEAM. If Beane can sprinkle in one or two top tier talents to complement this group, we may be looking at a true contender. 

I voted B-

Positives:

He clearly motivates the players and has them playing hard

His defense is championship caliber 

We made the playoffs

4-1 start this season

Negatives: 

The Offense has never been better than mediocre during his tenure

He stated Peterman (multiple times) and thought it was okay to go into a season with a QB depth of Peterman, Allen (some of that is on Beane) 

Terrible with challenges

Poor clock management and situational awareness (looking at you, decision to punt in the Colts snow game) 

Lot of reasons to be excited, but I'm not even going to consider moving him into the "A" range until we win some playoff games. 

When you're comparing him to previous Bills head coaches, he would get an A+. Compared to head coaches from around the NFL, I think he would get a B+.

He gets the most out of his players and they seem to respect him. The defense is obviously stellar.

However, he is awful at challenges and his timeout usage leaves a lot to be desired. I also wish he was a bit more aggressive at certain points - example: earlier this year (can't remember which game) we got the ball back with 1+ minute in the 2nd quarter and two timeouts. We sat on the ball and went to the locker room. Why not at least try to move the ball and get into FG range? 

Needless to say, I'm happy he's our HC and I think the team is in good hands with him.

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My A- is due to the fact he never shows his hand. I get it, and I respect the hell out of it. I just want more insight.

In this regard -and ONLY this regard, I miss Rex.

Rex showed his hand, his wife’s feet, and an ineptitude the likes of which we’ve never seen. 

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

Rex showed his hand, his wife’s feet, and an ineptitude the likes of which we’ve never seen. 

He gave daily medical updates beyond “yeah, I’m not really sure. Haven’t talked to the trainers or medical staff”. He gave insights on games just played including key plays & players, unlike “well, I’ll have to look at the film tomorrow”. Of course he’s a clown. But I looked forward to his pressers. Sean hasn’t uttered a word worth quoting. Again, it’s the best way for a coach to act. It’s just boring as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

A-, Great first year to end the drought. Last year did suck but we had a lack of talent and this year, so far so good. 

So you are taking points off the HC because of the lack of talent we had last year. Last year was always going to be a down year where we freed up money so we could bring in the right players that fit our culture. This year we are a playoff team, next year we are a contender. 

I remember the train wreck this team was after the Ryan brothers, it's remarkable what's happened in under 3 years. Solid A+ from me.

49 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Given the talent of the roster, I give him an A+. 

Not trying to be negative, I love this team, but even our defense doesn't have one single stud. You could argue Jerry, or Tre, or even Micah, and they are certainly a talented group, but what they are achieving is incredible. 

Then look at the offense. Again, I love our team, but Brown and Beasley as your top receivers isn't inspiring. They are both super solid in their roles, but neither is exceptional. Gore is a legend, but not a true #1 stud anymore. And the O-line is a good solid group, but no real stars. 

Essentially he's taken a group of men, a very deep and solid group, and turned them into a TEAM. If Beane can sprinkle in one or two top tier talents to complement this group, we may be looking at a true contender. 

You forgot our  middle LB IMHO he’s A STUD 

And if none of our guys on defense make the Probowl this year it will be a travesty 

GO BILLS  !!!

Edited by Putin