How has McDermott done with this team so far?

GreggTX

Grade Sean McDermott  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Grade our HC

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

Personally, I think our HC has some weaknesses in his game management skills, but he has gotten better. As a leader, however, I think he has been excellent. He's got these players ready to run through walls for him.

How would you grade him overall as a HC?

• Like (+1) 3

Gave him an A. He's a good coach whom the players seem to love and rally around. He has built a culture here like no other. Whenever you can get everyone to buy into what it is you are selling then the chance for positive results increases by leaps and bounds. He's a coach who gets his guys to buy in. He does have a lapse here or there with a challenge flag or a timeout or clock management, but he has gotten better in all of those regards since year one. He and Beane have basically built this team from the ground up in three years. They have done an amazing job. Can't wait to see where we are at by year 5. 

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I would like to understand the F other than trolling.

Can you show the user names of the votes?

Probably a lurking Jets or Pats fan on the board. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Since Coach McDermott became head coach of the Bills, I don't know that there is another coach in the league that has gotten more out of his players than him. While we haven't won a playoff game (yet!), we went to the playoffs at 9-7 with a team in his first year that, talent-wise, had no business being anywhere near that mark, and the same can be said for last year. 

The fact that THAT group last year won six games is a huge testament to McDermott and his staff.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I gave him an A-  I feel like he has done a great job rebuilding this team and having them play as a team. There are some gamefay flaws imo like bad challenges, taking foot off gas, and things like that I feel he can improve upon. 

id actually like to rank him higher but then there would be nowhere to move up if he becomes a continual contender. 

I give him a A. When I look at some of the clown show dysfunctions in the nfl (I think for a period we fell In that category with coaching changes every other year.. Rex ) it finally feels nice to have some stability. Sean was very respected when being named For head coached material. hes very respected throughout the league. Him and Beane have a vision and into year 3 we are starting to see the results. The playoffs was a nice surprise year one and some people pissed on year two. It was a necessary to clean the dead weight and continue to shape their vision. I had no problem with taking a step back to further where they wanted the team to be. 

He doesn’t do everything right, makes mistakes, but i think he really does try to learn from his mistakes and holds accountable as he he does his players. I sometimes think he wants his guys to succeed so much and invested into them and it takes longer to pull the plug. Like why not Duke sooner over Zay? 

But players play for him and if they don’t want to buy in, their out. some laugh about the term process and culture but I tend to believe it’s huge from an organizational standpoint.

my buddy is a pats fan (I’m ashamed to know him) but he constantly tells me how at least Buffalo finally seems to have blueprint of how they want to shape a team. 

We may not be where we all want to be .. yet.. but any team that plays us is should be in for a four quarter game. 

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I gave him an A-  I feel like he has done a great job rebuilding this team and having them play as a team. There are some gamefay flaws imo like bad challenges, taking foot off gas, and things like that I feel he can improve upon. 

id actually like to rank him higher but then there would be nowhere to move up if he becomes a continual contender. 

COTY!!!

• Like (+1) 1

i'd put him in the b to b+ range right now.  it just depends how this year finishes out.  if the bills get into the playoffs this year, that will be 2 out of his first 3 years here he's done it, (i'm a wizard at math...i know) and for a bills coach, that's phenomenal. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m looking at all 3 years. B+.... great job great job making the playoffs after gutting talent in 17. Great job finishing 4-2 that year after it looked like a mid season implosion would derail us. Great job keeping the team competitive with a rookie qb last year working through cap hell. Great start to the season and bounce back from an emotional pats loss. 

.... and then there’s all the peterman stuff. Which is nearly unforgivable. 

so B+ it is. 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i'd put him in the b to b+ range right now.  it just depends how this year finishes out.  if the bills get into the playoffs this year, that will be 2 out of his first 3 years here he's done it, (i'm a wizard at math...i know) and for a bills coach, that's phenomenal. 

I would guess 2 out of 3 years is in the top end of the league in general over that span. There is so much parity and turnover.We’ll have to wait and see but I’d guesss no more than 10-12 teams will have gone 2 out of the last 3 years. 

.... and ya if he pulls it off and we are grading on a bills curve it’s an A++++++ ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

He gets an A from me.  Big picture he (along with Beane) has turned a dumpster fire into a machine that is gaining traction.  We have been the wasteland that no one wants to talk about or play for for a very long time.  He has brought respect both off and on the field.  The wins are only just beginning as we see the lasting effects of the culture change he has instilled in Buffalo.  Sure there are decisions and points to pick at on the micro level, but you will have that with anyone.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

B+

Defense has performed well, but the development of Josh Allen has been tepid and lackluster at best.

Defense has been LIGHTS OUT we held patriots****** offense  that’s DESTROYING EVERYBODY  to 9 total points ,