MMQB's Jonathan Jones: Declining INT Rate in NFL

Thurman#1

Really interesting article, I thought.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/02/nfl-interception-rate-decline

And it made me wonder who has the record for most INTs in a year in the last ten years and it's what I thought:

... a five-way tie with nine INTs between 2012 Tim Jennings and four guys in 2009, Asante Samuel, Darren Sharper, Charles Woodson, and the legendary Jairus Byrd.

One of the most interesting bits is that the career INT leader is a record that may never be broken, it's the DiMaggio's 56 hits record of football.

EDIT: Yeah, it's Krause, with 81. Nice call for those who knew. I didn't till I read this excellent article.

Excerpt:  "Of all the great NFL records, sneakily the most unattainable is the interceptions crown. Rod Woodson played 17 years and still came up 11 picks short of topping Krause. Charles Woodson, who has 65 career interceptions, would have had to duplicate his two best seasons and tack those on to his 18-year career to beat out Krause. Aqib Talib, the 12-year corner for the Rams, is the NFL’s active leader in interceptions—with 35 career picks, he’s tied for 128th on the all-time list."

Another excerpt: “The schemes and stuff are more detailed. It’s elevated,” Talib says. “Back when he had 81 picks, guys were probably running fades and slants. There was probably one receiver in his three-point stance. The receivers are bigger and faster and the quarterbacks, the game is getting way more detailed. We have to be that much sharper.” The three-point stance is an exaggeration, but it’s inarguable that the passing-game concepts are far more precise today than ever before. The average yards per completion have decreased in the modern era, though not as steadily as the interception rate. Offenses have replaced handoffs with screen passes. The first-down run has turned into a quick hitch on first-and-10. There are quick throws to the flat and RPOs where “you’re throwing only high percentage short passes so not even if it’s not a successful play it’s probably not an interception,” Brown says.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

And it made me wonder who has the record for most INTs in a year in the last ten years and it's what I thought:

... a five-way tie with nine INTs between 2012 Tim Jennings and four guys in 2009, Asante Samuel, Darren Sharper, Charles Woodson, and the legendary Jairus Byrd.

One of the most interesting bits is that the career INT leader is a record that may never be broken, it's the DiMaggio's 56 hits record of football.

And who holds it? (No spoilers, please, guesses only.)

I know Paul Krause is the all time interception leader.  No clue how many he had.

With the new rules where you basically get flagged for breathing on a WR it has changed everything. They don't jump routes like they used to due to possible Pass Interference calls, which you never know how that's gonna be called from week to week these days, or getting a hit on a defenseless receiver flag. The DB's aren't taking as many chances. Also, with the QB's being so protected these days, I don't think they get as rattled in the pocket because they aren't taking the hits they used to before. It makes a difference throughout the course of a game.  

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And who holds it? (No spoilers, please, guesses only.)

I think it's Paul Krausse?  Maybe Ken Houston.

15 hours ago, Capco said:

Rod Woodson?  I think he retired with over 70 picks.  

Yeah, he or Night Train Lane would have been my guesses. I forgot Krause.

The great point from the article is that a lot of the reason is how much shorter and more precise the passing game has become.

In the Rams locker room following their Week 1 win against Carolina, Talib and fellow cornerback Marcus Peters, who has the most interceptions in the league since 2015 (now at 23 after a pick-six in Week 4), got into a spirited debate about whether the latter could ever catch Krause’s record.

“It’s impossible!,” Talib shouted.

“No, no, no,” Peters replied. “You trippin, bro. I got 22 right now.”

“Yeah, you in Year 5,” Talib says. “Listen…”

“I’m on pace to do 60!,” Peters interjects.

“Then you’re 21 off 81!,” Talib exclaims.

Krause, meanwhile, sits comfortably with his unattainable record.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, H2o said:

With the new rules where you basically get flagged for breathing on a WR it has changed everything. They don't jump routes like they used to due to possible Pass Interference calls, which you never know how that's gonna be called from week to week these days, or getting a hit on a defenseless receiver flag. The DB's aren't taking as many chances. Also, with the QB's being so protected these days, I don't think they get as rattled in the pocket because they aren't taking the hits they used to before. It makes a difference throughout the course of a game.  

Given the ever increasing PI flags being thrown, yes they are still jumping routes.

As for QBs not being rattled because they aren't taking hits?  Newton, Brees, Trubisky, Mahomes, Foles, Rudolph (for the injured Big Ben), Bridgewater in the past, Rodgers several times, Josh Allen this season and last...if the refs are trying to protect the QBs, they aren't doing a good job.