McDermott was pretty classy in his PC about Zay Jones.

Tipster19

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We all know McD chooses his words carefully and will always be respectful when talking to the media.

The harsh reality is that trading Zay for peanuts told everyone how they felt about him. Produce or be gone as it should be.

A fourth rounder for a middle of the road wr with a year and a half left on his contract is not peanuts.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

McDermott from day one has been about the brotherhood of football, it s militarily like , like band of brothers. All part of the process.

So Gruden is mean to family?

I was in the Tampa market when he won a SB with Dungy’s team. He was not a universally liked guy, almost the opposite. Several players called him out for saying one thing, but doing another.  PLUS, our sons played in 7 on 7 tournaments against each other and I got to see him up close and personal. If he was the Bills coach, I just might take a time out on my fandom. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We all know McD chooses his words carefully and will always be respectful when talking to the media.

The harsh reality is that trading Zay for peanuts told everyone how they felt about him. Produce or be gone as it should be.

Yes any player needs to produce, that’s a given, but there is no reason not to be civilized about ones explanation of why a player was traded to the press, absolutely no reason to be harsh.

SM does it the right way. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

A fourth rounder for a middle of the road wr with a year and a half left on his contract is not peanuts.

A fifth 2 years down road so you need to discount it.  Bills would have gotten more before season started but part of Coach McD's philosophy is not give up on players too early (hence reason for so many mid-season trades IMO) so Zay stayed.  It is also as many said that Duke's skill would not show up in practices but in games where you are more physical.

McD made the call to take Jones and it did not work out.  For a team hurting at WR and forced to call up someone in the CFL last year, it's a bad look.

McBeane, to their credit, have acknowledged mistakes and tend to fail forward and move on.  I give them credit because most HC's or GM's would double down on a mistake.

Still, McD knows that developing player culture means not talking badly about departed players.  If he did that, it closes the door to attracting quality UFA's in March.  I'm glad they get that keeping things in-house and projecting a high level of professionalism is key.  Not sure that this is as widely followed in the NFL as you'd expect.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I was in the Tampa market when he won a SB with Dungy’s team. He was not a universally liked guy, almost the opposite. PLUS, our sons played in 7 on 7 tournaments against each other and I got to see him up close and personal. If he was the Bills coach, I just might take a time out on my fandom. 

so he thought he was better than everybody else ?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Typical. Most of these guys have big egos.

Luckily for us McDermott is humble and all about family and character.

I had a long winded answer with specifics, but there was nothing I could really document so it made me uncomfortable. I deleted and went with the one word plus smiley face answer. I’m sure others would disagree with me. I’m surprised he’s winning like he this, but word is he wears thin quickly.  

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had a long winded answer with specifics, but there was nothing I could really document so it made me uncomfortable. I deleted and went with the one word plus smiley face answer. I’m sure others would disagree with me. I’m surprised he’s winning like he this, but word is he wears thin quickly.  

It snot like Gruden is going to sue you, if have to get something off your chest then feel free.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:46 PM, Tipster19 said:

It’s a business, a big business so unpopular decisions sometimes has to be made but I like the way they did it. I could be naive but I believe that McDermott still cares about Zay as a person.

It's been said by a number of players that have come over from other teams that the Bills treat their players with a lot of respect. Some organizations treat their players more like property and can be pretty cold.

I'm sure they wanted the best for Zay, they obviously wanted him to flourish here, but it just didn't happen. I mean, surely it didn't help that they were unsettled at QB, and in Zay's first two seasons here the Bills were 31st in pass attempts for 2017, and 28th for 2018. So, not a whole lot of chances to shine if you're a receiver on a team that prefers to run the ball. Now, granted, that's changed in 2019 as the Bills currently sit at 12th in the league in passing attempts per game with about 35, so, in theory that should've created more chances for Zay but he just fell behind some of the other receivers on the roster and never quite recovered. Wish him all the best in Oakland. Seems like a good kid, works hard, team player, etc. May have peaked in college, though.

Edited by blacklabel

On 10/16/2019 at 10:37 PM, Bangarang said:

It also showed what the rest of the NFL thought of him. Hope he can turn it around