Weird combos

5 hours ago, Augie said:

When I was a kid I was at a friends and his mom asked what I wanted for lunch. I requested a mayonnaise and jelly sandwich. She called my mom who gave her the OK, and it became “a thing” for a year or so. I probably wanted a PB&J, but acquired a taste for it. It sounds disgusting, but I can still remember the taste and it wasn’t too awful.......for a little kid. 

I freaking hate you. :nana:

{runs to the kitchen to try it...}

• Haha (+1) 1

I was watching a show on the Food Channel a few years ago, and a guy was pairing up different kinds of cheeses, jellies, and breads on grilled cheese sandwiches. At first I thought it was weird, but then I started to think that cheese and fruit is a good combo, so why not extend the concept to grilled cheese sandwiches? I tried it once, with cheddar and strawberry on whole wheat. It was ok.

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Chilled watermelon with a sprinkle of kosher salt and a few drops of balsamic.  Soooooo tasty!

Swap the watermelon for cantaloupe and absolutely. 

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’d be Bow Duke...he’s Uncle Jessy. 

You be you......whatever brings Daisy around, I'm all for.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Balsamic bro.  Give it a try.  

I must be honest...the watermelon and balsamic wasn’t my own creation.  I had it as an accompaniment to a cocktail created by a mixologist at a really fancy restaurant in DC.  

I do serve it as an appetizer at my BBQ’s in the summer and people rave about it.  

My wife likes to grill watermelon and sprinkle w feta and balsamic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

peanut butter and miracle whip.

I like chopped green olives mixed with my tuna and miracle whip. 

tasty

What the hell is the matter with you?

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Chilled watermelon with a sprinkle of kosher salt and a few drops of balsamic.  Soooooo tasty!

On a similar note, really high quality vanilla ice cream flavored with a vanilla bean and not chemicals and drizzled over with some high end balsamic vinegar (like at least 15 years aged) is one of the best flavor combos on the planet.

Really good, aged balsamico does not taste like "vinegar".  Takes on an entirely different, complex flavor palate that is delicious.

Picked up this trick in Modena in 2002 and have never looked back!

Stuff like what is in the photo here is some of the best stuff on the planet.

img_9845_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

On a similar note, really high quality vanilla ice cream flavored with a vanilla bean and not chemicals and drizzled over with some high end balsamic vinegar (like at least 15 years aged) is one of the best flavor combos on the planet.

Really good, aged balsamico does not taste like "vinegar".  Takes on an entirely different, complex flavor palate that is delicious.

Picked up this trick in Modena in 2002 and have never looked back!

Stuff like what is in the photo here is some of the best stuff on the planet.

img_9845_1.jpg

Oooooooh!  Now that’s an idea.  

41 minutes ago, stony said:

Grilled watermelon!!!??  Yowza.  That sounds delish....

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, stony said:

That does sound really good.  I would also replace the feta with crumbled goat cheese or crumbled Maytag blue...each would be quite good but different.

I am going to try this this upcoming weekend!  Thanks for that one!

This video shows how to grill watermelon and then he actually threw on some feta and balsamico at the end!  

Edited by Nextmanup