Weird combos

When I was a kid I was at a friends and his mom asked what I wanted for lunch. I requested a mayonnaise and jelly sandwich. She called my mom who gave her the OK, and it became “a thing” for a year or so. I probably wanted a PB&J, but acquired a taste for it. It sounds disgusting, but I can still remember the taste and it wasn’t too awful.......for a little kid. 

As a kid, I ate bologna and jelly sandwiches. I don't remember how I started, but I probably continued because I liked the "Eeeeeewwww"  reaction it got from my family and friends.

These days, I guess my weirdest combo is a PB&J with tortilla chips inside. The chips give a salty complement to the jam's sweetness, and they add some texture. (You can also use the chip crumbs at the bottom of the bag.)

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I was a kid I was at a friends and his mom asked what I wanted for lunch. I requested a mayonnaise and jelly sandwich. She called my mom who gave her the OK, and it became “a thing” for a year or so. I probably wanted a PB&J, but acquired a taste for it. It sounds disgusting, but I can still remember the taste and it wasn’t too awful.......for a little kid. 

that’s wild

Peanut butter and bologna, and it is not tasty ?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Chilled watermelon with a sprinkle of kosher salt and a few drops of balsamic.  Soooooo tasty!

THAT may happen tomorrow, despite missing the season. That sounds interesting, and  good. Kosher salt sure, but I’d never have thought of the balsamic! Hmmmmm 

I did sous vide carrots (just butter and a bit of brown sugar) tonight with a super course kosher finishing salt to finish, and that salt made a huge difference.  I’ll do that again when the wave of family arrives next month. 

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Salt on melons isn't weird.  Brings the sweetness to the surface.  But... The vinegar... Never tried that!

Balsamic bro.  Give it a try.  

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

THAT may happen tomorrow, despite missing the season. That sounds interesting, and  good. Kosher salt sure, but I’d never have thought of the balsamic! Hmmmmm 

I did sous vide carrots (just butter and a bit of brown sugar) tonight with a super course kosher finishing salt to finish, and that salt made a huge difference.  I’ll do that again when the wave of family arrives next month. 

I must be honest...the watermelon and balsamic wasn’t my own creation.  I had it as an accompaniment to a cocktail created by a mixologist at a really fancy restaurant in DC.  

I do serve it as an appetizer at my BBQ’s in the summer and people rave about it.  

• Like (+1) 2