Class and Character

vorpma

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That really would be pandemonium today!

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and how come no ACL's. MCL's, hammys, lousy officiating? ...  bet the Genny was medicinal.....:D

Yeah, what the heck were "soft" hands! Genny was good medicine!

Edited by Rocket94

7 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Good read. A former great in his own right reflects on the game of football. Good takes on tradition, character, camaraderie, and the glory of winning in another era.

If you have read too many articles read in incognito browser and my bar was interview place in article.  There have been a lot of ex-football players in there, both Washington and Buffalo.  Charlie Taylor who was a regular is not doing to well unfortunately and I enjoyed his company.

I met McDole 10 days ago at Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern, a Bills bar not far from where he settled in Northern Virginia after his playing days. McDole showed off a pair of oversized rings, one on each hand – his 1964 AFL championship ring with Buffalo and his 1972 NFC championship ring with Washington. And he gifted bar owner Jimmy Cirrito with a Bills No. 72 jersey with the name McDole lettered on the back.

He was at Jimmy’s to sign that jersey plus photos and copies of his book, which includes a chapter titled, “The Famous Buffalo Bills Halloween Parties.” Running back Joe Auer hosted the first one. (He played for the Bills in 1964 and 1965 but is most famous for inaugurating the Dolphins’ existence in 1966 by returning the opening kick of their first game for a touchdown.) Paul Maguire – punter, linebacker, funnyman – hosted after that, the book says.

This was at the tailgate last weekend.  I was unable to go due to health. First annual tailgate I have missed since it started except when I was in Buffalo watching game.

Excellent read, thanks for sharing OP. Brings back a lot of childhood memories as a young fan back then. My Dad was a member of the Lancaster - Depew Quarterback Club back in the day. I often got to go with him to the weekly meetings during the season. There was always a Bills player there who would talk and then do autographs after the meeting. Have a lot of old 8x10 B&W glossies signed by many of the players from back then. Thanks for spurring some great memories.

• Like (+1) 1

I read about the Halloween parties in the book "OJ Simpson, Education of a Rich Rookie"

Paul McGuire was the team comedian. He came dressed as Captain Kangaroo one year (his mustache made it real).

OJ asked McGuire what he should dress up as. McGuire said "stick a broomstick up your a$$, and come as a fudgesicle".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This thread brings back such memories.  Prompted me to go back and watch the highlights of the season opening Monday night game against the Raiders in '74.  To this day the best Monday night game I ever saw.

Amad Rashad! George Blanda missed the 50 yarder in the end!

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Wheels Not So Golden Now said:

I agree.  Best Monday night game ever.  I was in Buffalo the previous weekend and made sure to get back home (Auburn, NY) in time to see the game.  Fergie & Ahmad Rashad were the men!

I remember the game because my parents let me stay up and watch it. It was a great game. It was one of Fergie's good days as we used to say, and yeah Rashad. He would not be a Bill very long. Blanda! That guy played forever!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

This thread brings back such memories.  Prompted me to go back and watch the highlights of the season opening Monday night game against the Raiders in '74.  To this day the best Monday night game I ever saw.

I’ll never forget that night! I didn’t recall that it was the opener.  I remember trying to get out of the parking lot, but not caring about the gridlock because the post game show was on the radio. My dad let me take a couple neighborhood friends, but I can’t remember which ones. I hope they remember the game as fondly as I do. That would mean I picked the right friends! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

...LMAO......we took two buses to the game from our watering hole........had two guys who were best friends, but one was a staunch Bills fan and the other a Raiders fan.....post game argument ensued and the Raiders fan got his azz whupped by his best bud......drunk out of his mind, he refused the bus ride back to Roch-Cha-Cha and hitch hiked......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes it was, man what a game!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’ll never forget that night! I didn’t recall that it was the opener.  I remember trying to get out of the parking lot, but not caring about the gridlock because the post game show was on the radio. My dad let me take a couple neighborhood friends, but I can’t remember which ones. I hope they remember the game as fondly as I do. That would mean I picked the right friends! 

My dad let me bring two friends, too.  We were laughing at the guy passed out drunk behind us who missed the whole thing! 

• Like (+1) 1