Class and Character

vorpma

16 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Good read. A former great in his own right reflects on the game of football. Good takes on tradition, character, camaraderie, and the glory of winning in another era.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Good read. A former great in his own right reflects on the game of football. Good takes on tradition, camaraderie, and the glory of winning in another era.

...yup, the good 'ol AFL......our very own Billy Shaw used to take time off from mixing cement to come play for Bfo in the 60's at a whopping 18 grand a year.....LOL....a "post game beer and a butt in front of his locker".....guy mixed cement until 66 so he could retire on FULL Social Security because his NFL pension was so lucrative (COUGH).......thanks Billy..:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup, the good 'ol AFL......our very own Billy Shaw used to take time off from mixing cement to come play for Bfo in the 60's at a whopping 18 grand a year.....LOL....a "post game beer and a butt in front of his locker".....guy mixed cement until 66 so he could retire on FULL Social Security because his NFL pension was so lucrative (COUGH).......thanks Billy..:thumbsup:

Some of these guys still had regular jobs. It was almost a privilege to get paid playing football! Ha! good way to supplement their incomes!

Another thing that I find funny, is that fans used to walk in with cases of Genny! unreal!

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Some of these guys still had regular jobs. It was almost a privilege to get paid playing football! Ha! good way to supplement their incomes!

Another thing that I find funny, is that fans used to walk in with cases of Genny! unreal!

....and how come no ACL's. MCL's, hammys, lousy officiating? ...  bet the Genny was medicinal.....:D

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and how come no ACL's. MCL's, hammys, lousy officiating? ...  bet the Genny was medicinal.....:D

Very well put.. glad i had the opportunity to live thru it all.. as a kid i  used to ride my bike  from so buff to Blasdell to watch training camp.. you cant begin to describe how neat that was.,. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Very well put.. glad i had the opportunity to live thru it all.. as a kid i  used to ride my bike  from so buff to Blasdell to watch training camp.. you cant begin to describe how neat that was.,. 

Awesome my friend, you are the real deal!

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, vorpma said:

All of you who replied are awesome!

I thought I had to have one or the other to reply. So this is open to everyone?  ?

I loved those days with the Bills. That’s when I fell in love with the team. 

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Character and class?

Sean McDermott's answer to the Zay Jones question today at the presser. Man the Buffalo Bills are lucky to have that guy as Head Coach. I would run through a wall for him. 

Is this posted somewhere? I have not seen this yet, but I’d love to. I feel very good about our people at the top. Still a ways to go, but I like our path. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

That was pretty good money back in the day but nothing compared to what they are paid now. It is equivalent to about $150,000 in today's dollars.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Great stuff!  McDole, Sestak, Dunaway, Day, Tracey, Jacobs, Stratton.  Best front 7 ever.

Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, and George Saimes (can't remember who the other safety was) -- the backfield was pretty good too.

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Kegs too. People with kegs at the ol' Rockpile. That was football!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Character and class?

Sean McDermott's answer to the Zay Jones question today at the presser. Man the Buffalo Bills are lucky to have that guy as Head Coach. I would run through a wall for him. 

I thought the same thing. A first class answer and the thing is, I think he means it!