Alex Smith has had 17 surgeries on his broken leg...career must be over

Big Turk

19 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I really hope that Alex Smith chooses to retire. I respect his moxie, but think about what life you have ahead of yourself.

The guy seemed to just seemed to get plagued with bad news.

He got such a bad rap as a player, as he never lived up to the #1 overall pick status he was given. Lots of 49er's fans were brutal to him.

Then there was the time that the NFL fined him for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during a post game interview.

And as someone mentioned earlier, losing his job to Kaepernick & Mahomes.

Tough career for a player.

He has had a pretty good career both with San Fran & KC.  There is no way he is coming back from this though, he might not want to retire but that decision won't be up to him is my guess.  Pretty good system QB, would rarely get you beat.  Funny thing is when he got benched in San Fran he was having a career year.  That had to be tough pill swallow for him at the time.    

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Is he still under contract?  Maybe he can't or he would forfeit the money he is owed.

That appears to be the reason he hasn't retired...

From this link: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/salary-cap-expert-redskins-still-owe-alex-smith-tens-millions

"His contract is structured like any other quarterback contract at his magntitude," he said. "The extension averaged 22.5 million per year. So his 2019 $15 million base salary was fully guaranteed at signing. That was to be expected.

"Now, when you have contracts like this, the 2020 season sometimes is guaranteed at signing ...  $16 million, 2020 the base salary, it was guaranteed at signing and it becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the roster as of the fifth day of the 2019 league year which is this upcoming St. Patrick's Day. So that's $31 million over the next two years that it's almost impossible for the Redskins to get out of. But that's the nature of the beast of a contract of this magnitude for a quarterback. "

If Smith decided to retire, Corry said, the Redskins could recoup some of that money. But he doesn't see Smith giving them the chance to do so."

14 hours ago, WideNine said:

Dunno if there is ever going to be an easy button  - it's an evolution thing.

Every time we find a product to beat back bacteria they have billions of chances in a colony for a few to develop the mutations needed to render themselves immune to it. The scientific community used to scoff at the concept of positive mutation, but it is witnessed over and over again in the micro verse. Doesn't help when there are so many off-the-shelf antibiotic hand soaps and cleaners that basically fast paced that evolution to create strains resistant to a broad spectrum of antibiotic chemicals used to sanitize hospital rooms and equipment and led to fun things like MRSA.

MRSA bacteria can invade facilities like hospitals as well as sports and training areas and is pretty hard to eradicate. The Cleveland Browns facilities had a reputation as a MRSA hot zone and had several players complaining that their facilities were rife with MRSA, and there are or were some NFL lawsuits for players who careers ended early do to MRSA-related infections.

Similar to resistant strains of bacteria - wide use of anti-fungal sprays on crops seems to be genetically traced to a virulent form of fungal infection candida auris that is resistant to most of the anti-fungal treatments our medical community had for such emergencies because anti-fungal medicines leveraged similar biochemical pathways as the sprays used on the crops. Candida Auris is a bit of a CDC bogey man because like MRSA it seems nearly impossible to remove from a facility once it is found to be present, and it has a relatively high mortality rate for several strains. There have been reports of doctors and nurses refusing to go into hospital rooms to treat or care for patients with such an infection.  

Honestly I would be a bit freaked out myself as someone in that healthcare industry. I almost feel like we would be better served going back to the old days of medical house calls where doctors  visit folks in their home vs. treating folks in hospitals because hospitals and clinics are a perfect storm for creating hot zones of resistant bugs.

And no, I am not a germ-freak, just found that I liked to read about bio-medical challenges and advances.

Interesting post! Thank you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, row_33 said:

good to read that advances in antibiotics can keep you going back to surgery, they would have amputated even a few decades ago.

Unfortunately it's likely because of antibiotic over use that he got the infection in the first place. Many super bug resistant strains out there now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think people appreciate how motivated some professional athletes are to succeed.  Short of muscle or nerve damage, I wouldn't count him out.

Different time and cause of injury, but Rocky Bleier returned after being shot in one leg and taking shrapnel in another leg in Vietnam. 

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I don't think people appreciate how motivated some professional athletes are to succeed.  Short of muscle or nerve damage, I wouldn't count him out.

Different time and cause of injury, but Rocky Bleier returned after being shot in one leg and taking shrapnel in another leg in Vietnam. 

he lost part of his right foot as well.

when Bleier was injured in 1976 it was sad, then Franco announced he wasn't going to be able to make the trip either to Oakland for the AFC title game (and eyebrows raised...)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

he lost part of his right foot as well.

when Bleier was injured in 1976 it was sad, then Franco announced he wasn't going to be able to make the trip either to Oakland for the AFC title game (and eyebrows raised...)

That's right...he was one tough dude to make it back after all that. 

I hope Alex Smith returns and not only proves his doubters wrong, but proves to himself he can overcome it.  As Bleier did, albeit with a different set of injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

That's right...he was one tough dude to make it back after all that. 

I hope Alex Smith returns and not only proves his doubters wrong, but proves to himself he can overcome it.  As Bleier did, albeit with a different set of injuries.

At some point your real life becomes more important than playing a game he might be too old for by that time.

• Like (+1) 1