Alex Smith has had 17 surgeries on his broken leg...career must be over

Big Turk

Life > Football

See the big picture and do all you can to improve your health and future wellbeing. He’s got all the money he’ll ever need. I wonder where he’d be with the medicine of even just 10-20 years ago? 

36 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Guaranteed  -  $71 million in guarantees for injury   

That is money in the bank the day (week) after he retires .

No play No Pay.  

And the other $40? He is just supposed to say nevermind? They can't cut him while injured.

Edited by matter2003

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly didn't know you could operate on one part of the body that many times.

operate and surgery are sometimes interpreted a little more serious than they imply.

ex: I had a small non cancerous tumor the size of a pee on my wrist protruding up and causing pain on movement. I had it surgically removed. They gave me a few shots of Novocain at the site, draped  it, took a scalpel and excised it from the surface. Technically I had surgery.

Most of Alex's followup surgeries where very likely just opening him up, scrapping off the infection, then washing it all with antibiotic fluid.

Not making light of it. It is serious non the less and precautions had to be taken. Not a procedure to do in office as his risk for infection is/was off the charts.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

that has to be a goal, even if impossible

but keep limiting it

..some pretty bizarre stuff out there....grew up with a kid whose family moved away when we were teens.....heard he had some type of lesion or pimple on his back at work, scratched it and drew some minor blood......ended up in the hospital and was dead at age 50 when a flesh eating bacteria consumed him within SIX days.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

infection... hopefully some day we can remove it as a problem....

Dunno if there is ever going to be an easy button  - it's an evolution thing.

Every time we find a product to beat back bacteria they have billions of chances in a colony for a few to develop the mutations needed to render themselves immune to it. The scientific community used to scoff at the concept of positive mutation, but it is witnessed over and over again in the micro verse. Doesn't help when there are so many off-the-shelf antibiotic hand soaps and cleaners that basically fast paced that evolution to create strains resistant to a broad spectrum of antibiotic chemicals used to sanitize hospital rooms and equipment and led to fun things like MRSA.

MRSA bacteria can invade facilities like hospitals as well as sports and training areas and is pretty hard to eradicate. The Cleveland Browns facilities had a reputation as a MRSA hot zone and had several players complaining that their facilities were rife with MRSA, and there are or were some NFL lawsuits for players who careers ended early do to MRSA-related infections.

Similar to resistant strains of bacteria - wide use of anti-fungal sprays on crops seems to be genetically traced to a virulent form of fungal infection candida auris that is resistant to most of the anti-fungal treatments our medical community had for such emergencies because anti-fungal medicines leveraged similar biochemical pathways as the sprays used on the crops. Candida Auris is a bit of a CDC bogey man because like MRSA it seems nearly impossible to remove from a facility once it is found to be present, and it has a relatively high mortality rate for several strains. There have been reports of doctors and nurses refusing to go into hospital rooms to treat or care for patients with such an infection.  

Honestly I would be a bit freaked out myself as someone in that healthcare industry. I almost feel like we would be better served going back to the old days of medical house calls where doctors  visit folks in their home vs. treating folks in hospitals because hospitals and clinics are a perfect storm for creating hot zones of resistant bugs.

And no, I am not a germ-freak, just found that I liked to read about bio-medical challenges and advances.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

And the other $40? He is just supposed to say nevermind? They can't cut him while injured.

there are no further guarantees that he’d ever see the additional $.   

Plenty of teams find ways out of contracts.  
Also look at what incentives had to be met to earn the full $ amount.  

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

there are no further guarantees that he’d ever see the additional $.   

Plenty of teams find ways out of contracts.  
Also look at what incentives had to be met to earn the full $ amount.  

They reach injury settlements...with no team to go to why would he settle?

6 hours ago, MJonea83 said:

As crazy as it might sound Alex Smith leg is probably healing stronger than it was before. If you have never looked up the surgeries he has had on his leg, you should take a little time and do so. It's quite fascinating. 17 surgeries are not unexpected considering they are quite literally regrowing several inches of bone. As ugly as the injury was, with today's advances in medical technology, it can heal as good as new.

If some of the surgeries involved removing significant muscle or connective tissue due to infection though, it will not heal "good as new"

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They reach injury settlements...with no team to go to why would he settle?

then why are you arguing this ? 

I said he won’t get all the $ and you just stated as much via a settlement. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2018/12/8/18131998/trying-to-understand-the-alex-smith-contract-and-impact-on-salary-cap

Smith’s 2020 $16 million salary is guaranteed for injury at the moment. An injury guarantee means that if a player’s contract is terminated while he is injured his injury protection kicks in and he earns his salary if hurt. The condition to collect on the guarantee is that Smith would not be able to pass a physical in 2020. So obviously that is a long time for Smith to recover from his injury.