Alex Smith has had 17 surgeries on his broken leg...career must be over

Big Turk

No matter which way this ends up, you know he will have issues later in life to contend with (arthritis, pain, nerve damage issues etc.) on that leg, which most likely will affect his quality of life, but wish him nothing but the best! Despite efforts through rules changes where this league tries to sanitize the game from injuries like this, it remains a violent game at its heart.   

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Must be?    (Not meant to be abrasive)

Seeing the injury and all the talk ....   Most expected this.

With the complications he's had ....  It is no surprise.  the surprise to me is that he hasn't retired. 

Is he still under contract?  Maybe he can't or he would forfeit the money he is owed.

25 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I really hope that Alex Smith chooses to retire. I respect his moxie, but think about what life you have ahead of yourself.

The guy seemed to just seemed to get plagued with bad news.

He got such a bad rap as a player, as he never lived up to the #1 overall pick status he was given. Lots of 49er's fans were brutal to him.

Then there was the time that the NFL fined him for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during a post game interview.

And as someone mentioned earlier, losing his job to Kaepernick & Mahomes.

Tough career for a player.

All in all I think he had a pretty good career.  He turned it around with the 49ers after a few years of disappointment and then went to KC and once he united with Reid, for a several year period they had the best record in the NFL during the regular season...even better than the Patriots.  Obviously Reid and Smith couldn't get it done once playoff time rolled around but that seems like par for the course for Reid, but then he went to the Redskins and got a huge contract extension before getting hurt.

Yeah the injuries suck, but if he gets the full value of the contract from the Redskins that he signed, which I am sure he probably will as they are typically guaranteed for injury and the Redskins are likely insured for most of that money, he will have made $217 million over the life of his career...while I am sure he will probably have some complications the rest of his life with that leg, having $217 million will help to offset some of those...

52 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't see any way possible for him to come back and play football after that considering his age and that he will be lucky to ever walk properly again let alone try to run , jump or play football.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-alex-smith-has-undergone-an-incredible-17-surgeries-on-broken-leg-145526878.html

Moreover why would he want to...  

he’s earned $161 million over his career, he’s 35,  his skills have declined, he’s a shoe in for any tv gig he wants, his head coach was fired, his team drafted a first round QB,  skins will obviously take the 2021 out in his contract, Dan Snyder is ... well dan Snyder. 

My my guess is he just has to keep going through the motions to collect that 55 mil guaranteed? 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Moreover why would he want to...  

he’s earned $161 million over his career, he’s 35,  his skills have declined, he’s a shoe in for any tv gig he wants, his head coach was fired, his team drafted a first round QB,  skins will obviously take the 2021 out in his contract, Dan Snyder is ... well dan Snyder. 

My my guess is he just has to keep going through the motions to collect that 55 mil guaranteed? 

Probably...just not retire.  

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

from a football severe fibtib injury my uncle went through a 7th surgery back in the 70s, told there would be nothing more they could do to save the leg if this one didn't work out. 

he woke up and found the medical chart on his chest with it stating it was a success.  they weren't supposed to leave it there but it was much appreciated.

I had an x-fix for 2 weeks after fibula surgery waiting for the fracture blister to heal before they would operate on my tibia. Took antibiotics for those 2 weeks.

I now have a bionic leg. They are overrated.
Alex Smith is a lucky man and should retire at this juncture.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I had an x-fix for 2 weeks after fibula surgery waiting for the fracture blister to heal before they would operate on my tibia. Took antibiotics for those 2 weeks.

I now have a bionic leg. They are overrated.
Alex Smith is a lucky man and should retire at this juncture.

if he's still keeps getting them checks...

As crazy as it might sound Alex Smith leg is probably healing stronger than it was before. If you have never looked up the surgeries he has had on his leg, you should take a little time and do so. It's quite fascinating. 17 surgeries are not unexpected considering they are quite literally regrowing several inches of bone. As ugly as the injury was, with today's advances in medical technology, it can heal as good as new.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I don't see any way possible for him to come back and play football after that considering his age and that he will be lucky to ever walk properly again let alone try to run , jump or play football.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-alex-smith-has-undergone-an-incredible-17-surgeries-on-broken-leg-145526878.html

Eh, he will be fine, a little stem cell therapy and some physio and hes golden.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Is he still under contract?  Maybe he can't or he would forfeit the money he is owed.

Yes, he is still under contract.   he has 2 / 3 more years (beyond 2019)   2023 UFA 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/washington-redskins-alex-smith-contract

(this is obviously predated ) Smith will make $40 million this upcoming season, which includes a $27 million signing bonus, according to the report.

The deal also includes $71 million in guarantees for injury, meaning Smith is under contract for five years and $111 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

you got $71 Mil  Alex 

RETIRE already 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

18 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Yes, he is still under contract.   he has 2 / 3 more years (beyond 2019)   2023 UFA 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/washington-redskins-alex-smith-contract

(this is obviously predated ) Smith will make $40 million this upcoming season, which includes a $27 million signing bonus, according to the report.

The deal also includes $71 million in guarantees for injury, meaning Smith is under contract for five years and $111 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

you got $71 Mil  Alex 

RETIRE already 

What idiot is turning down free money? Easy to say when its not your bank account.

Edited by matter2003