Alex Smith has had 17 surgeries on his broken leg...career must be over

Big Turk

I don't see any way possible for him to come back and play football after that considering his age and that he will be lucky to ever walk properly again let alone try to run , jump or play football.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-alex-smith-has-undergone-an-incredible-17-surgeries-on-broken-leg-145526878.html

• Sad 5

from a football severe fibtib injury my uncle went through a 7th surgery back in the 70s, told there would be nothing more they could do to save the leg if this one didn't work out. 

he woke up and found the medical chart on his chest with it stating it was a success.  they weren't supposed to leave it there but it was much appreciated.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

from a football severe fibtib injury my uncle went through a 7th surgery back in the 70s, told there would be nothing more they could do to save the leg if this one didn't work out. 

he woke up and found the medical chart on his chest with it stating it was a success.  they weren't supposed to leave it there but it was much appreciated.

I can't imagine waking up and being in that post-surgery grog but knowing that you may or may not have the same amount of limbs as when you went under, and then having to check... 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I can't imagine waking up and being in that post-surgery grog but knowing that you may or may not have the same amount of limbs as when you went under, and then having to check... 

the bone and scar to this day is depressed a full inch on his leg, the infection from the injury was hindering recovery (antibiotics are much better now)

it was a nice gesture to leave the chart on his chest with the good news.

Edited by row_33
  • Sad 1

I really hope that Alex Smith chooses to retire. I respect his moxie, but think about what life you have ahead of yourself.

The guy seemed to just seemed to get plagued with bad news.

He got such a bad rap as a player, as he never lived up to the #1 overall pick status he was given. Lots of 49er's fans were brutal to him.

Then there was the time that the NFL fined him for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during a post game interview.

And as someone mentioned earlier, losing his job to Kaepernick & Mahomes.

Tough career for a player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

They will, when they can transfer your consciousness into a robot "brain"   :D 

i am humbled by your honourable tribute.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Maybe he now has a bionic leg and will be able to play forever.

would be a good life until you murder your girlfiend while she uses the bathroom

• Haha (+1) 3

He's had a nice career.  If healthy, he could have had several more years, but he's had enough of a career to be able to look back and feel good about what he's done.  Assuming his career is over, hopefully his leg can be healed up enough to be able to walk normally and not cause him problems later on.  

43 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't see any way possible for him to come back and play football after that considering his age and that he will be lucky to ever walk properly again let alone try to run , jump or play football.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-alex-smith-has-undergone-an-incredible-17-surgeries-on-broken-leg-145526878.html

It would seem so.

And yet....here is a guy who made his way onto a list of "top 25 QB busts of all time" in 2011, went 13-3 that year, won a playoff game, and contended for the conf. championship.

Next year, his team plays in the Superbowl, but he watches that one from the bench, he got dumped for 'lil "Pig Socks" then traded away.

He does nothing but improve on his new team, racking up 4 playoff appearances in 5 years with his new team and a career best season before being ditched for the new guy.

I swear, if you wrote a movie script based on Smith's NFL career, it would be dissed off as too improbable to be believed.

So yeah, I agree - gruesome injury, gruesome prognosis, football would seem distant and unlikely.  But given Alex Smith past history, if there's one guy I wouldn't rule out, he's the one.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It would seem so.

And yet....here is a guy who made his way onto a list of "top 25 QB busts of all time" in 2011, went 13-3 that year, won a playoff game, and contended for the conf. championship.

Next year, his team plays in the Superbowl, but he watches that one from the bench, he got dumped for 'lil "Pig Socks" then traded away.

He does nothing but improve on his new team, racking up 4 playoff appearances in 5 years with his new team and a career best season before being ditched for the new guy.

I swear, if you wrote a movie script based on Smith's NFL career, it would be dissed off as too improbable to be believed.

So yeah, I agree - gruesome injury, gruesome prognosis, football would seem distant and unlikely.  But given Alex Smith past history, if there's one guy I wouldn't rule it, he's the one.

just like the wonder horse who overcame a broken leg and won the Kentucky Derby?

i wish Alex the best in trying to live a normal existence for the rest of his life

• Thank you (+1) 1