McDermott on "keeping rookies hungry and humble"

I like this approach, and I’m sure Oliver gets it. He was interviewed once and said something like “I haven’t gotten enou....(caught himself) I haven’t EARNED enough snaps yet.”  I absolutely loved that awareness and catch on his part! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My hair on top is starting to gray...especially the sides but my eye brows are still black as the night.  I also wear glasses....

I'm getting nervous I'm turning into Eugene Levy.

Image result for eugene levy

Same here. Do you suppose we’re brothers? a/s/l?

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

McDermott was interviewed this morning on GMFB and one of the first questions they asked him was to talk about the dominance of our Defense.  He said it starts up front with the Defensive Line and mentioned Hughes, Star and Trent Murphy by name.  He also talked about Edmunds, Poyer and Hyde. I was surprised he did not mentioned Oliver and wondered why he slighted him.

But then, later in the interview Kyle excitedly asked him about the Dawson Knox angry run and McDermott was clearly reluctant to respond at first. He said "we like to keep our rookies hungry and humble to make sure they know they know they have to keep working hard" (paraphrase) McDermott reluctantly complimented Knox, but this definitely gave me great insight into how he treats Oliver and other rookies.  

This is old school, but I like it. This could easily backfire with some of the big egos in this league, but hopefully Oliver knows the drill and doesn't internalize the lack of praise. Thoughts on this? Anyone dislike this approach?

Teach them early and often and set a precedent. That is how good teams develop and play as a team. Good formula for success.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No...a lot of people do that.

Do you wear medical masks over your mouth when you go outside to the public?

Pshhhh...who doesn't? Especially when riding in the tour bus to Niagara Falls.  Stopping at thruway rest stops is a sure fire way to catch yellow fever.

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Now you're getting personal..but yes. My wife's great aunt has a small shop in the garage where she sells fresh seafood and cuts my hair.

When you're driving, can you change lanes without cutting someone off?  When you see a sign that says "keep moving" when you're exiting the highway....do you stop?

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott was interviewed this morning on GMFB and one of the first questions they asked him was to talk about the dominance of our Defense.  He said it starts up front with the Defensive Line and mentioned Hughes, Star and Trent Murphy by name.  He also talked about Edmunds, Poyer and Hyde. I was surprised he did not mentioned Oliver and wondered why he slighted him.

But then, later in the interview Kyle excitedly asked him about the Dawson Knox angry run and McDermott was clearly reluctant to respond at first. He said "we like to keep our rookies hungry and humble to make sure they know they know they have to keep working hard" (paraphrase) McDermott reluctantly complimented Knox, but this definitely gave me great insight into how he treats Oliver and other rookies.  

This is old school, but I like it. This could easily backfire with some of the big egos in this league, but hopefully Oliver knows the drill and doesn't internalize the lack of praise. Thoughts on this? Anyone dislike this approach?

From the inside-info stories I've heard, Oliver showed up with plenty of that ego. If it's working with him, we shouldnt worry about anyone else they bring in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

LOL McDermott really *is* a hard-ass on this point.  Check out his Weds media availability video.  ~6:02 He's talking about Ed Oliver and he says "I've been pleased...."

THEN HE TAKES IT BACK!  Says "let me pull that back....not pleased, but I feel like we're moving in the right direction...."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My brother once got a C....

I used to have a brother....

I actually shot for low 90’s on everything. To get 100% seemed like wasted effort. (This speaks volumes about me, not necessarily all good.) If I missed an A by a bit, such is life. I only got bummed if I was below 85%, but I never got caned. We lived way out from St Joes and the bus picked me up at like 6:25am (even in February!). First guy on the bus, last off, 3 hours a day roundtrip. If I missed the bus, my parents would say “do you NEED to be there today?”. Well, NO! DUH! They didn’t want to make the drive either, and I’d hang out at Williamsville North with my friends! Back then you could have a stranger just wandering the halls and hanging out in the cafeteria all day. 

We may have had slightly different experiences.