McDermott on "keeping rookies hungry and humble"

McDermott was interviewed this morning on GMFB and one of the first questions they asked him was to talk about the dominance of our Defense.  He said it starts up front with the Defensive Line and mentioned Hughes, Star and Trent Murphy by name.  He also talked about Edmunds, Poyer and Hyde. I was surprised he did not mentioned Oliver and wondered why he slighted him.

But then, later in the interview Kyle excitedly asked him about the Dawson Knox angry run and McDermott was clearly reluctant to respond at first. He said "we like to keep our rookies hungry and humble to make sure they know they know they have to keep working hard" (paraphrase) McDermott reluctantly complimented Knox, but this definitely gave me great insight into how he treats Oliver and other rookies.  

This is old school, but I like it. This could easily backfire with some of the big egos in this league, but hopefully Oliver knows the drill and doesn't internalize the lack of praise. Thoughts on this? Anyone dislike this approach?

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

McDermott was interviewed this morning on GMFB and one of the first questions they asked him was to talk about the dominance of our Defense.  He said it starts up front with the Defensive Line and mentioned Hughes, Star and Trent Murphy by name.  He also talked about Edmunds, Poyer and Hyde. I was surprised he did not mentioned Oliver and wondered why he slighted him.

But then, later in the interview Kyle excitedly asked him about the Dawson Knox angry run and McDermott was clearly reluctant to respond at first. He said "we like to keep our rookies hungry and humble to make sure they know they know they have to keep working hard" (paraphrase) McDermott reluctantly complimented Knox, but this definitely gave me great insight into how he treats Oliver and other rookies.  

This is old school, but I like it. This could easily backfire with some of the big egos in this league, but hopefully Oliver knows the drill and doesn't internalize the lack of praise.

Keeping rookies humble is critical. No matter what they think they know as the lens peers deeper inside the inner workings of the NFL, it’s clear there is a huge jump from college to Pro’s in most cases. 

I recall Marv almost never started rooks, which is even next  level humility indoctrination. 

I like the message that you’ve gotta earn the right...

its nuance that distinguish this teams culture.

no “day 1 starter off the bus” quips. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Keeping rookies humble is critical. No matter what they think they know as the lens peers deeper inside the inner workings of the NFL, it’s clear there is a huge jump from college to Pro’s in most cases. 

I recall Marv almost never started rooks, which is even next  level humility indoctrination. 

I like the message that you’ve gotta earn the right...

its nuance that distinguish this teams culture.

no “day 1 starter off the bus” quips. 

Now hold on!

• Haha (+1) 3

I would think being a starter/main rotation player in ones rookie season is ample praise in if itself.

yes I think it’s a good way to handle rookies.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I think in general, the outside world 'us' are always stoked about rookie draft picks and want too much too soon.  But for the organization, it's basically another new hire.. It makes sense to not want to gush about some guy that hasn't even been in the building for a full year.

One way to view McDermott's rookie treatment may be to look at our 2nd year players. Allen, Edmunds, Phillips, Johnson, Neal (what a great class!) and Wallace are all improving, becoming more important parts of the team and appear to be motivated, serious minds Bills.  This group could (should) become our core leadership group, with time. 

My take-away is that Sean McDermott is smarter than me. :) And, I like it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My hair on top is starting to gray...especially the sides but my eye brows are still black as the night.  I also wear glasses....

I'm getting nervous I'm turning into Eugene Levy.

Image result for eugene levy

you should  be so lucky.