Will the Stadium Stay in Orchard Park? Hear me out

Hammered a Lot

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm on my way now to the busiest street corner I can find.  Hopefully we don't end up talking with the same people.  Must get pulse of WNY in terms of new stadium location.  Got to go.  I will let you know my results after a month or so. 

LOL LOL LOL

: I'm not one to talk like that usually so I apologise:

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

These are all good questions that have been thought up a long time ago, and which are being discussed and investigated for years in the industry already.

But none of those questions will STOP the progress from happening. Rather, solutions will just be innovated. The same way progress has worked for hundreds of years.

You sound a lot like the horse and buggy people when automobiles first hit the roads. Less than 50 years later, it worked out. And there were no more horse and buggies on the roads, without any mandate.

a completely inappropriate comparison.  There is no quantum leap between the two things being discussed here (as opposed to a horse drawn carriage vs a car speeding down a highway):  we are talking about a car being driven by a human vs another car being driven autonomously.  The only (possible) advantage for the human in the second car is that he/she can read the paper while in the car....which he/she can do anytime, nearly anywhere, in a cab or a hired car or train, subway.  So your comparison makes little sense.

This is a demand driven technology and it will be difficult to create demand for this. Perfecting a car that has no steering wheel or pedals, just seats,  will be a technical marvel someday.....but so what?  Why do we need it?  Developing an entire new class of incredibly expensive vehicles to replicate the current status quo of commuter driving (essentially 1 person in a car) makes little intuitive sense.  Unless individual private car ownership were outlawed, there is no way this could achieve the scale that many here assume is inevitable.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, man. This isnt a debate. It will and IS happening.

No, the tech isnt where it needs to be right now, but progress moves fast in tech. And it gets faster and faster day over day, year over year.

Mankind was around for thousands of years before we first took flight in 1903 for 4 measly miles. Less than 70 years later we had a man on the moon using less computing power than what is currently in the phone in your pocket.

Most of your questions are real low-level issues that can be solved in v1.0.

I mean this with all due respect, but just because you dont get it doesnt mean it cant or wont happen.

I get it can happen but I pray it isn't for a while

There are sooo many variables and I personally will always drive over take an Uber or a self driving car lol

What about the girl that runs in front of the car chasing a ball? Will it be able to pick that up and stop ? Or is she screwed because it was a half second late

@LabattBlue

I personally will back whatever happens when it happens and I apologise for being testy but I don't get why people think it's a downtown lock

That's what the media and stuff is pushing heavily. Realistically it doesn't guarente any kind of boom to the economy or anything else.. its just the new hot idea to gentrify buffalo

But buffalo already has a uniquely beautiful vibe to it and it doenst have to be every other city. It can be what it is, and it's perfectly fine without a stadium downtown

Should it happen , I support the Bills so I would give it an open chance

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have long said, I love games in OP, and should it come to be I will love games downtown. As long as our Bills remain in WNY I’m fine with wherever they play the games. 

This board will not tolerate your pragmatic attitude.........

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Did none of you dumbasses read Asimov?  ***** outta here with the autonomous robot talk.  The most autonomous thing I have is my Roomba with a claymore attached to it.

With the exception of voice driven phone menus, I refuse to talk to machines. And I almost always have a negative experience that ends up with me screaming, AGENT AGENT AGENT. When that doesn't work I start wildly babbling in some fake foreign language---that usually gets me to a real live person.

I won't have Alexa in my house---and when I set them up for clients, I ask "Are you certain you want/need this?" The new Comcast XI boxes SUCK, unless you use the voice command, which actually works pretty well. I don't care. I use the remote the old fashioned way. I virtually never use Google assistant on my android phone.  It all seems very weird and unnatural to me, but mostly I don't use it because for most of these devices there is a nefarious downside.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

My 2 cents...I don't care how fast technology moves, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the majority of cars on the road in the US will be of the driverless variety within a 10 year period....and oh by the way, the new domed stadium will be downtown...connect the dots. ;)

Not in 10 years and I don't think in 20, either. Perhaps the technology will be ready, but changing minds and habits is going to take a LONG time in a country where owning a car = personal freedom to so many.

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have long said, I love games in OP, and should it come to be I will love games downtown. As long as our Bills remain in WNY I’m fine with wherever they play the games. 

Same here. But I'd probably go to far fewer games downtown, if I lived in WNY. I don't so my opinion doesn't (and shouldn't) mean much to the Pegulas. With that said, I will probably have very little desire to travel to go to a game downtown. Traveling for an OP experience is worth the trip.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

My 2 cents...I don't care how fast technology moves, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the majority of cars on the road in the US will be of the driverless variety within a 10 year period....and oh by the way, the new domed stadium will be downtown...connect the dots. ;)

....how long ago were flying cars forecasted to be in our future?......even Astro said "rut row" to George Jetson and Spacely agreed......

43 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....how long ago were flying cars forecasted to be in our future?......even Astro said "rut row" to George Jetson and Spacely agreed......

I remember them mentioned often in the old education films that they showed in school complete with a motion projector.  This would have been back in the 1970's along with the notion that everybody being able to buy a new spacious house working 10 hours per week.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

And the downtown stadium people act like it's a done deal lol you guys are gonna be disappointed when it stays in OP

I make a lot of garbage and trolly posts and this falls into ”rando internet rumors they probably made up” but I’ve heard first hand from very politically connected people that it’s essentially a “done deal” downtown.

I’m also looking forward to the KBC retrofit next year. It’s not becoming a convention center so I’m not sure where that nonsense came from. Look for a minor expansion and exterior revamp to better connect with Canalside.

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Not in 10 years and I don't think in 20, either. Perhaps the technology will be ready, but changing minds and habits is going to take a LONG time in a country where owning a car = personal freedom to so many.

We've already seen that Americans' laziness vastly outweighs their sense of freedom. ?

edit: side note, good to see you back around the board more.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We've already seen that Americans' laziness vastly outweighs their sense of freedom. ?

edit: side note, good to see you back around the board more.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, The Dean said:

I value my time more than my freedom to drive on a road, as do most people. Give me drives where I am free to do what I want any day of the week.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, Seasons1992 said:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........how 'bout that stadium in Orchard Park? Remember that thread?

Read in today's paper NY state budget is in the hole for $6.1 billion and projected budgets in the future not looking all that healthy.  That does not bode well for infrastructure improvements downtown. Brian Higgins attempted to secure $25 million federal dollars for the next phase of opening Main Street failed last week. Looking like if something is going downtown it will be all on Pegulas. 

38 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

Read in today's paper NY state budget is in the hole for $6.1 billion and projected budgets in the future not looking all that healthy.  That does not bode well for infrastructure improvements downtown. Brian Higgins attempted to secure $25 million federal dollars for the next phase of opening Main Street failed last week. Looking like if something is going downtown it will be all on Pegulas. 

Fine with me. Keep it at your place, Hammered. Best experiences ever..........walking to the stadium after walking to your lot. 

8 hours ago, Hammered a Lot said:

If a new stadium is going to be built, regardless where it is located, it will nearly all be on Pegula. 

Someone posted awhile back that the Pegulas were discretely buying land around where the current stadium is located. Do you know anything about that? Is there enough land around the current stadium where a new stadium could be built if that was the direction the owners were to take. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If a new stadium is going to be built, regardless where it is located, it will nearly all be on Pegula. 

Someone posted awhile back that the Pegulas were discretely buying land around where the current stadium is located. Do you know anything about that? Is there enough land around the current stadium where a new stadium could be built if that was the direction the owners were to take. 

If a new stadium went up in OP, I suggest the 50 yard line run right thru Hammers Lot. Good vibes can’t hurt! 

For the right price, of course.  ?

Several hundred yards away, @plenzmd1‘s nephew can open an open air wing joint and be virtually retired, working only about 10 days/year, plus playoffs annually, of course. Maybe he will remember the old guy when he’s rich and famous? 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't think they are buying land around the current stadium. If they were I'd have heard about it by now. Lot 4 is were a baseball stadium was going to be built so one would guess that could be the spot. Lot 3/bus Lot combined with land from ECC south could also work. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hammered a Lot said:

I don't think they are buying land around the current stadium. If they were I'd have heard about it by now. Lot 4 is were a baseball stadium was going to be built so one would guess that could be the spot. Lot 3/bus Lot combined with land from ECC south could also work. 

That is always where I imagined the best possible location (Across the street).