Will the Stadium Stay in Orchard Park? Hear me out

Hammered a Lot

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't see commute time changing much due to user error no longer in the equation.  What human error could happen in terms of route running down 98 from Batavia to Arcade?  Further, efficiency will be challenged if the user elects to make random stops along the route.  We all have impulses including stopping for coffee and a donut or a run to the restroom because we can't hold it until we reach our destination.  Will the automated vehicle allow for this as by your premise that vehicle has many tightly timed tasks scheduled for the day?  

Plenty. Stop lights become less of a hassle getting to the thruway. Merging goes flawlessly. No idiots doing the speed limit in the left hand lane. No need for a left hand passing lane anymore even since all vehicles will be going the same speed, making arrival times much more standard and predictable.

As for your second question, that's up to the folks in charge of developing that tech and product. Probably wont be in version 1.0, but if we can think of the question here on a football message board, you best believe they have already thought about it in the Engineering rooms. It can all be developed.

Press a button and speak "Add stop, Wegmans on transit" *ding* "Added stop 'Wegmans on transit', eta 15 minutes"

It's all happening.

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Plenty. Stop lights become less of a hassle getting to the thruway. Merging goes flawlessly. No idiots doing the speed limit in the left hand lane. No need for a left hand passing lane anymore even since all vehicles will be going the same speed, making arrival times much more standard and predictable.

As for your second question, that's up to the folks in charge of developing that tech and product. Probably wont be in version 1.0, but if we can think of the question here on a football message board, you best believe they have already thought about it in the Engineering rooms. It can all be developed.

Press a button and speak "Add stop, Wegmans on transit" *ding* "Added stop 'Wegmans on transit', eta 15 minutes"

It's all happening.

I think that you are being way overly optimistic.  Multi-lane highways have the advantage of spreading vehicle distance out.  You can cram them together but what happens when one car hits a deer if the trailing vehicles are no more than two lengths away from one another?  What happens if a traffic light malfunctions?  Sucks when there are flawed humans on the roadways but most can immediately analyze a variety of changing factors.  I don't think  that automatic driving functions are where they need to be at in less than optimal situations.  

2 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Other cities do this and it works out just fine.

Outletting towards I-90 Exits 55 & 56 at OP is no small consideration.  They are additional relief valves for traffic coming out of OP that will not be there in the city along with US 20.  Any traffic engineers on here like there were on the old BBMB?

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that you are being way overly optimistic.  Multi-lane highways have the advantage of spreading vehicle distance out.  You can cram them together but what happens when one car hits a deer if the trailing vehicles are no more than two lengths away from one another?  What happens if a traffic light malfunctions?  Sucks when there are flawed humans on the roadways but most can immediately analyze a variety of changing factors.  I don't think  that automatic driving functions are where they need to be at in less than optimal situations.  

Sorry, man. This isnt a debate. It will and IS happening.

No, the tech isnt where it needs to be right now, but progress moves fast in tech. And it gets faster and faster day over day, year over year.

Mankind was around for thousands of years before we first took flight in 1903 for 4 measly miles. Less than 70 years later we had a man on the moon using less computing power than what is currently in the phone in your pocket.

Most of your questions are real low-level issues that can be solved in v1.0.

I mean this with all due respect, but just because you dont get it doesnt mean it cant or wont happen.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, man. This isnt a debate. It will and IS happening.

No, the tech isnt where it needs to be right now, but progress moves fast in tech. And it gets faster and faster day over day, year over year.

Mankind was around for thousands of years before we first took flight in 1903 for 4 measly miles. Less than 70 years later we had a man on the moon using less computing power than what is currently in the phone in your pocket.

Most of your questions are real low-level issues that can be solved in v1.0.

I mean this with all due respect, but just because you dont get it doesnt mean it cant or wont happen.

Unless you mandate no more human drivers there will be many variables for a computer to analyze every second without the ability to predict human behavior.  Will the kid running towards the street chasing a baseball stop because he sees an oncoming vehicle or will he be so fixated on the ball that he completely misses it?  Who is liable if the computer controlled car stops within two car lengths and is rear ended but the kid ultimately pulls up ten feet from the street edge?  The driver of the trailing car will most likely seek damages to his vehicle due to the computer incorrectly reacting to the kid in that driver's mind.  He will contact an attorney who will go after the deeper pockets of the computer controlled car whether justified or not and avoid the snare of trying to blame a kid in court which is socially unsavory.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Unless you mandate no more human drivers there will be many variables for a computer to analyze every second without the ability to predict human behavior.  Will the kid running towards the street chasing a baseball stop because he sees an oncoming vehicle or will he be so fixated on the ball that he completely misses it?  Who is liable if the computer controlled car stops within two car lengths and is rear ended but the kid ultimately pulls up ten feet from the street edge?  The driver of the trailing car will most likely seek damages to his vehicle due to the computer incorrectly reacting to the kid in that driver's mind.  He will contact an attorney who will go after the deeper pockets of the computer controlled car whether justified or not and avoid the snare of trying to blame a kid in court which is socially unsavory.

These are all good questions that have been thought up a long time ago, and which are being discussed and investigated for years in the industry already.

But none of those questions will STOP the progress from happening. Rather, solutions will just be innovated. The same way progress has worked for hundreds of years.

You sound a lot like the horse and buggy people when automobiles first hit the roads. Less than 50 years later, it worked out. And there were no more horse and buggies on the roads, without any mandate.

11 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I am not an engineer but I live in one of the worst cities for traffic congestion (Atlanta). It ends up working itself out. People in upstate don't know what traffic is 

That is entirely offset by the concept that WNY'rs know what snow is and are far more able to handle than their Southern counterparts.  Either concept not being overly relevant to the traffic situation of a stadium in Buffalo fitted into an area that previously did not know 10,000's of thousands vehicles trying to cross it in the period of a couple of hours.  Putting a stadium downtown near the lake eliminates a western outlet as the lake effectively blocks the way.  Sure you can change the roads but then you are back to spending the lion's share of 100 million due to actual cost plus environmental studies, lawsuits, and eminent domain.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

These are all good questions that have been thought up a long time ago, and which are being discussed and investigated for years in the industry already.

But none of those questions will STOP the progress from happening. Rather, solutions will just be innovated. The same way progress has worked for hundreds of years.

You sound a lot like the horse and buggy people when automobiles first hit the roads. Less than 50 years later, it worked out. And there were no more horse and buggies on the roads, without any mandate.

Last thing first in that your horse and buggy analogy is not very apt.  I am not looking to stop progress but trying to make sure that there is a circuit breaker in place for engineers who are good for the task in front of them but have no other vision.  Plenty of morons who sit in front of computer screens as well.

22 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Last thing first in that your horse and buggy analogy is not very apt.  I am not looking to stop progress but trying to make sure that there is a circuit breaker in place for engineers who are good for the task in front of them but have no other vision.  Plenty of morons who sit in front of computer screens as well.

Worry not. There are smarter people than you and I working on this.

32 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My 2 cents...I don't care how fast technology moves, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the majority of cars on the road in the US will be of the driverless variety within a 10 year period....and oh by the way, the new domed stadium will be downtown...connect the dots. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

My 2 cents...I don't care how fast technology moves, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the majority of cars on the road in the US will be of the driverless variety within a 10 year period....and oh by the way, the new domed stadium will be downtown...connect the dots. ;)

Probably right about 10, probably wrong about 20.

The scene outside OP is why it can never move and it has nothing to do with drinking

There is no other NFL city like us in the NFL and we will lose all our charm and identify if they pack us up Downtown

For once a week for 45 years OP turns into the most festive place on Earth. The locals who open up their lots, the traditions, the scene is just second to none

Going downtown will eliminate the best thing the bills are known for and turn pre game into a bar crawl which is literally stupid and 50x worse than our traditions now

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The scene outside OP is why it can never move and it has nothing to do with drinking

There is no other NFL city like us in the NFL and we will lose all our charm and identify if they pack us up Downtown

For once a week for 45 years OP turns into the most festive place on Earth. The locals who open up their lots, the traditions, the scene is just second to none

Going downtown will eliminate the best thing the bills are known for and turn pre game into a bar crawl which is literally stupid and 50x worse than our traditions now

If the best thing about attending a home game is the tailgate versus the game itself, it says a lot about Bills fans.  Diehard fans will adapt no matter where the stadium is located.  One persons idea of a great pre-game tradition may end up being replaced by another great pre-game tradition after a new stadium is built.

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If the best thing about attending a home game is the tailgate versus the game itself, it says a lot about Bills fans.  Diehard fans will adapt no matter where the stadium is located.  One persons idea of a great pre-game tradition may end up being replaced by another great pre-game tradition after a new stadium is built.

The best thing the Bills are known for besides the Bills , cmon bro. Bills tailgating traditions are 50 years old, you can't replace them overnight

And no, lots of diehards are adamantly against a downtown stadium and you are crazy if you don't think traditions matter in Buffalo

It's a city based on nostalgia and people hold on to what they know . The majority of 20-60 year olds don't want a downtown stadium. I ask 50 people a day and it's not close

And the downtown stadium people act like it's a done deal lol you guys are gonna be disappointed when it stays in OP

There are not many benefits to a downtown stadium

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The best thing the Bills are known for besides the Bills , cmon bro. Bills tailgating traditions are 50 years old, you can't replace them overnight

And no, lots of diehards are adamantly against a downtown stadium and you are crazy if you don't think traditions matter in Buffalo

It's a city based on nostalgia and people hold on to what they know . The majority of 20-60 year olds don't want a downtown stadium. I ask 50 people a day and it's not close

And the downtown stadium people act like it's a done deal lol you guys are gonna be disappointed when it stays in OP

I'd love to see the survey breakdown.  You honestly ask 50 different people every day where they want the Bills to play going forward?  I can respect your opinion and those who love tailgating and hope the stadium stays in OP, but it doesn't make it any more insightful by exaggerating about some daily surveys you conduct in your spare time. 

Edited by LabattBlue

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

One additional thing for the people who do want concessions while outside of the stadium the Pegula's and the NFL stand a better chance of profiting if in OP versus a downtown walking district where anybody can compete with them.  That might be part of the reason the Pegula's are buying property in the neighborhood of the stadium.

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I'd love to see the survey breakdown.  You honestly ask 50 different people every day where they want the Bills to play going forward?  I can respect your opinion and those who love tailgating and hope the stadium stays in OP, but it doesn't make it any more insightful by exaggerating about some daily surveys you conduct in your spare time. 

I live downtown ,I talk bills with EVERYBODY..  Ive been asking this question for years 

Are you a Buffalo Ian? Because you act like you don't believe me but that's what we do, we talk all sorts of bills

I literally talk to strangers about the Bills everyday . I finish every sentence during Bills season with go Bills, to random strangers on the streets

That's Buffalo, city of good neighbors

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I live downtown ,I talk bills with EVERYBODY..  Ive been asking this question for years 

You aren't a buffalonian are you ? Because you act like you don't believe me but that's what we do, we talk all sorts of bills

I literally talk to strangers about the Bills everyday . I finish every sentence during Bills season with go Bills, to random strangers on the streets

That's Buffalo, city of good neighbors

I've lived my entire life in WNY.  Don't question my status as a WNYer  just because you don't agree with me.    Now hurry up and get back to your imaginary 50 person a day surveys.  Let me know if things change in terms of preferred stadium locations.  Harris Polls have nothing on you and your ability to predict the future.  LOL

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I've lived my entire life in WNY.  Don't question my status as a WNYer  just because you don't agree with me.    Now hurry up and get back to your imaginary 50 person a day surveys.  Let me know if things change in terms of preferred stadium locations.  Harris Polls have nothing on you and your ability to predict the future.  LOL

And don't question me with your salty attitude just because you don't believe me

I never said I was the end all be all... But I do ask around my City, something you clearly don't do and took offense that I have

Curmudgeon is what you are

Not one of the friendly neighbors for sure

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

And don't question me with your salty attitude just because you don't believe me

I never said I was the end all be all... But I do ask my around my City, something you clearly don't do

I'm on my way now to the busiest street corner I can find.  Hopefully we don't end up talking with the same people.  Must get pulse of WNY in terms of new stadium location.  Got to go.  I will let you know my results after a month or so. 

LOL LOL LOL